Thursday, February 7, 2013

UMRAH 20 January 2013.- an unexpected journey.



20 January 2013:

All the sixteen (16) potential Jemaah, the special Guests of Allah were on time at KLIA and were checked in at the Saudi Air counter.

Ustaz Ebdullah Tan introduced yours truly as the Leader of the entourage to the sixteen (16) Allah’s Guest. There was a short briefing, doa selamat and I then led the Jemaah passing through Immigration and KLIA Security check points.

Among the Jemaah there were four (4) Al Hafiz who can memorize all the thirty (30) chapters of the Al Koran. I have the greatest respect of Al Hafiz.

Two of the Al Hafiz.
SV 832 was on scheduled, took off for Jeddah at 1525 hrs and landed at Jeddah King Abdul Aziz Airport at 1935 hrs local time.

The Jemaah passed through all the Airport formalities and was received by Haji Ismail - Travel Agent Representative at the Arrival Hall. All the Passports were collected for Muassasah scrutiny.

The Jemaah boarded the Bus allocated and when the Muassasah had certified our Umrah Visas we started our long journey for Medina, a distance of about 475 kilometer. I recited the doa and briefed the Jemaah about the long journey and the beginning of our sole intention of our hijrah to the Holy Land.

Halfway we stopped at an R & R for solat jamak and “nasi mandi” (Arab style Dinner). 

21 January 2013:

Most of the Jemaah were fast asleep but I had to remain awake seated next to the Bus Driver up front. I had to ensure the safety of the Jemaah under my care. The Bus breezed through the straight desert road through the night and I had to keep the Bus Driver awake.

At about 0300 hrs as we reached the Border of Medina, I alerted the Jemaah as we were getting close to the Holy Prophet’s City.

We checked in at Fayrooz Shatta Hotel and the Medina Muassasah collected our Passports for safekeeping.
The first prayer at Masjid Nabawi was subuh and I led two (2) first timers Jemaah to the Mosque. Soon after subuh we paid homage to the Holy Prophet’s Shrine and showed them where Raudah is. Raudah is between the Holy Prophet’s Shrine and the Holy Prophet’s Mimbar and it is one of the Gardens in Paradise.
Programmed for the day was free and easy and the Jemaah could wander within the city, preferably to ikhtikaf in Masjid Nabawi as long as they carry their name tags and the Hotel card. We came from thousand kilometers away and expense thousands of Ringgits and now the Holy Prophet is just nearby to us. We were the few lucky one to be invited as Allah’s Guest of Honor and we should not just throw away the opportunity. 

After Isyakh prayer at 2000 hrs, Haji Ismail and I adjourned to Medina Airport to receive another fifty eight (58) Jemaah from KLIA led by Puan Serina. We boarded all the Jemaah in a bus and a van. There was a slight delay at the Airport as some Jemaah declared to have lost their luggage. Actually the luggage was carried off to the Bus by the Airport Porters.

After dinner at the Hotel we collected all their Passports and allocated them to their respective rooms. There was some confusion as they wished to stay with their own buddy and it was sort out mutually among them.
I have now seventy three (73) Jemaahs to handle.

22 January 2013.

All the Jemaah were taken for a tour to Nabawi Mosque and its surroundings. There was a request for wheel chairs and I had to request from the Hotel.

Some jemaah mistook me as Medina local resident Ustaz and I was smiling to myself. I explained I was just an ordinary Jemaah as themselves but helping Almukminin Travel wherever I could. I came for ibadah cum rendering my service.  

During lunch, the Jemaah complained that there were no fruits and no “ulam with sambal belacan”. Apparently, the Food Caterer Driver forgot about it. The fried fish was also exhausted but luckily supplemented by beef stew. It was quite interesting to handle 73 Jemaahs with their various tastes, like and dislikes. Tolerance and patience was the answer to ever please a Customer at the Holy Land. Thank Allah I was able to control my temperamental instinct. Sometimes I could go crazy……..in the middle of the Arabian Desert at the halfway R & R someone requested for MILO drink. Thank Allah, he did not request for Kopi Tongkat Ali.  

By now, all the male Jemaah had successfully entered Raudah but some female Jemaah failed to do so due to the congestion within a limited space allocated for Muslimah.

One male Jemaah went missing after Isyakh and it was my concern. He was finally found in the Mosque sitting by himself, perhaps he was deeply communicating with Allah.

23 January 2013. 

After breakfast, an outskirt tour of Medina. Two (2) Busses were required.

Bus 1 – Jemaah of 20 Jan + Jemaah 21 Jan from Sabah and KL.
Bus 2 – All of Jemaah 21 Jan.

Ready for outside tour.



Junaidi & Saiful Azlan & Azman.


Location 1: Masjid Quba. The Jemaah were informed to take their ablution at the Hotel and perform two rakaat of solat sunat at Masjid Quba. The redemption is equal to one umrah as the Holy Prophet decreed. Masjid Quba is the first Mosque in Medina that the Holy Prophet built soon he arrived from Mecca during the hijrah.

Bus 2 had a problem here. Two ladies (2) Jemaah went missing. They were frantically looking for the jemaah without realizing the two (2) Jemaahs had boarded Bus 1.

Masjid Quba.
Location 2: Date Farm & Shop. Genuine fresh dates from Medina sold here. Every Jemaah was free to eat and tasted the dates to their tummy content all the various varieties of dates on display. No charge and its halal. Most jemaah took the opportunity to purchase the various qualities for home taking. I bought two (2) kilos of Kurma ajwa (the Holy Prophet’s dates) and at this time around which is off season, it cost 120 Saudi Riyal per kilo. We enjoyed the free Arabic tea served.

At the Date Farm.

Cheers!! Teh Arab.
Location 3: Jabal Uhud and the Shrine of the Syuhadah. The Holy Prophet’s uncle Syidina Hamzah + 40 of the Holy Prophet’s horsemen was martyred during the War of Uhud against the Quarish of Mecca here. They were martyred when they failed to abide the Holy Prophet’s instruction not to leave their post. We recited the doa and the lesson learnt here is not to be greedy and always abide to instructions. However……….Prophet Mohamed won this Holy War against the Infidels but at the expense of several Martyrs. 

The Flag Bearer at Uhud.
Location 4: Koran Factory. I led a group of Jemaah into the Factory and was complimented with a Koran each during the exit. To fulfill my Mother’s amanah, I bought 25 small and 7 big Koran to be donated to Masjid Nabawi and Masjidilharam. Bus 2 Jemaah which was late unable to enter the Factory and the Koran Shop was about to close off for solat zohor.

Location 5: Masjid Qiblatin & Masjid 7. The Bus just passed through and the Mutawiff narrated the history of the Mosque.

Since it was the last night in Medina, after the solat Isyakh most Jemaah went out for last minute dates shopping and had dinner outside. Throughout the umrah, I normally eat last to ensure every Jemaah had their fair share of meal.

24 January 2013: 

Maulidul Rasul – there is no celebration in Medina as in Malaysia. To the Medinan Arabs, it is bida’ah.
However, we organized a tazkirah by Ustaz Abdullah at the Dining Hall on the “Life and Deed” of the Holy Prophet. It was full attendance.

Ustaz Abdullah.


Jemaah attending the tazkirah.


After thanking Ustaz Abdullah, I delivered my tazkirah to the Jemaah the program and timing about the journey to Mecca which was going to take place just after zohor.
At 1130 hrs as instructed all the Jemaah sent their luggage to the Hotel Lobby. The Jemaah were requested to perform the widaq (farewell) before or after zohor. I did my widaq just before zohor and stayed on for zohor in the Mosque. I plead to Allah that this would not be my last visit to Masjid Nabawi and if so, I seek in doa for Paradise. 

Soon after Muassasah delivered the Passports, at 1430 hrs both Busses left for Bir Ali Mosque. All the Jemaah were clad in their ihram. Here all the jemaah perform their miqat (an intention to perform the umrah). The Jemaah performed the solat asar and at 1630 hrs departed for Mecca.

Masjid Bir Ali.
Halfway down the desert road Medina/Mecca, we stopped at one R & R for solat jamak, Maghreeb and Isyakh. In the middle of the Desert it was windy and cold.

We reached Mecca at Hotel Knooz, located along Adjyad Road at about 2200 hrs. We got all the rooming organized, requested the Jemaah to have their dinner and a short rest. Same procedure again, handed over Passports to the Meccan Muassasah.

25 January 2013.

At 0030 hrs the first group of Jemaah walked over to Masjidilharam to perform the umrah. It was led by Ustaz Helmi and I was to standby at the back of the pack.

As I entered Masjidilharam, I was shocked to see part of the Mosque had been demolished for renovation. Masjidilharam is not as elegant as I left it when I was last there during last Aidilfitri. It broke my heart.
During the tawaf I had to follow and guide a lady Jemaah on a wheel chair pushed by a Yamani Arab. I don’t trust the Yamani Arab, often they took shortcutand they only go for monetary gain. During the saie, I was watching from a distance and this Yamani Arab complied as per the rituals. It was only at 0400 hrs that all the Jemaah completed the umrah.







 The various shots taken from Rooftop of Masjidilharam renovation.

To my disgust, I lost my slippers and I just slipped in with an abandoned old Japanese slipper. It is common that someone hijacked your slippers.

Friday Prayers – Masjidilharam was packed and I comfortably took a place at the Courtyard. Amazingly, the sky was cloudy and it was shady under the open sky.

This was where I sat for Friday Prayer.
26 January 2013. 

Outskirt Tour of Mecca.

Location 1: Jabal Thur. This was the mountain where the Holy Prophet and his comrade Sydina Abu Bakar hid in the cave from the Quraish Arab before beginning the hijrah to Medina.

Jabal Thur.

Ustaz Haji Mustapa with Nuruddin Al Hafiz at Jabal Thur..
Location 2: Desert of Arafah & Jabal Rahmah. Haj is Arafah and all potential Haji must go and stay in Arafah on the 10 of Zulhijah. Jabal Rahmah - the hilly spot where Adam met his Eve after being thrown by Allah to Earth. Adam landed in Sri Lanka and Eve was in Jeddah. I stayed at the foothill as I had climbed the hill much too often but some Jemaah took the opportunity to scale the rocky slope. Jabal Rahmah and its foothill area are very much cleaner now as camels, quad motorcycles and Hawkers are prohibited operating business within the complex. They were once a nuisance, touting for businesses from Jemaah that visit the area. On that score I applaud the Authority. BUT Syndicate beggars still exists and it is no good for the image of Islam.

Climbing Jabal Rahmah.

Desert of arafah & Jabal Rahmah.
Location 3: Muzdlifah and Mina. The Busses past through to show the Jemaah where the Hajis and the Hajjahs congregate during the Haj ritual. Jamrah - the place where stoning of the Devils take place, duplicating Prophet Ibrahim.

Location 4: Masjid Jairanah. The Jemaah stopped at the Mosque, to clad on their ihram and miqat. I did the miqat to perform an umrah for my late brother Mahmud Abd Hamid who passed away recently on 29 December 2012. Soon as they reach back in Mecca, the Jemmah could perform another umrah.
Location 5: Jabal Nur. Gabriel narrated the first verse of the Holy Koran from Allah to the Holy Prophet Mohammed at a cave up in Jabal Nur.

Location 6: Maala Cemetry. As we passed through we said our doa to those buried in Maala, including Syaidatul Siti Khadijah, the first wife of the Holy Prophet.

After zohor and lunch, the Jemaah and me who performed the miqat at Masjid Jairanah went to Masjidilharam on our own, to perform the umrah. Upon completion I shaved bald. 
              
27 January 2013.

Early morning: I accompanied Puan Serina to Elaf Kindah Hotel to meet one Singaporean Travel Agent. We then decided to tour the Misfalah area to survey potential Hotels to be demolished. I passed by Zahret Kamil Hotel where I stayed last Ramadan and it brought back nostalgic memories of Haji Saifuddin, Syed Malik and the Helicopter Pilot. This Hotel will drop to its knees soon. Stopped by at Taala Hotel and picked up the Almukminin banner which was still hanging at the Lobby.

After Asar: Second Tour of Mecca outskirt.

Location 1: Mekah Mosque Mueseum. The Jemaah were excited to see the replica of Masjidilharam after fully renovated. The replica is the only new exhibit as I had been inside several times before.

The Museum.



 Masjidilharam Replica after fully renovated.

Location 2: Masjid Hubaidiyah. The Jemaah performed the solat Maghreeb and miqat for umrah. I came to Hubaidiyah without an intention to perform umrah.

Location 3: Camel Farm. We shocked the Bedouin Arabs as we visited the Farm at night. This was my first experience out of my several visits to Hubaidiyah that I stopped at the Camel Farm at night. The Bedouin received unexpected Allah’s grace that he sold to the Jemaah about 600 Saudi Riyal worth of camel’s milk. Each bottle cost 5 Saudi Riyal. Visiting Camel Farm at night was an experience that I would not forget so as Ustaz Farid, a local resident of Mecca. No visit ever made at night.

Teasing the camel.
After dinner and solat Isyakh at the Hotel, the Jemaah who performed the miqat proceeded to Masjidilharam to perform the umrah.

28 January 2013.

At 1000 hrs, Puan Serina and I went to Saudi Air Office at Hilton Hotel to confirm our departure tickets for 31 January and 02 February 2013 respectively.

Mid morning, six (6) Jemaahs went to scale Jabal Thur but only four (4) successful. Scaling this mountain is back tracking what the Holy Prophet and Syidina Abu Bakar did.

Bowing to Allah at the Kaabah.

Kneeling to Allah at the Kaabah.

Lunch was great. The menu was beef Kurma with white rice or briyani. The Jemaah was fully satisfied with the menu and swept clean. I was happy to see a satisfied Customer.

After asar I met up with Ah Deen Travel Agent at the Felda Saji Restaurant at Safwah Hotel. He was schedule to leave for home on 02 February 2013 together with Puan Serina entourage. I requested him to assist Puan Serina to obtain the boarding passes.

29 January 2013.

Just before subuh it was raining in Mecca. Bless by Allah the Almighty. I went to Masjidilharam with a jacket on. Inside the Mosque it was over crowded but I managed to find a space. 

Mid morning, I led about twelve (12) Jemaah to Masjid Siti Aishah at Tanaim. Only six (6) decided to do the miqat, including me and the rest just a casual visit to the Mosque. I completed the umrah on behalf of my late Father, Tuan Haji Abdul Hamid Abdullah just before zohor.


 The beautiful chandelier at Masjid Siti Aishah, Tanaim.

Before miqat at Tanaim with Omar, the Bus Driver.

Completion of an umrah by the Holy Kaabah.

A family facing the Kaabah.

Before Maghreeb, one Jemaah reported sick, giddy and full of wind in his body. He was drenched by the early morning rain. I insisted him to follow me for Maghreeb and the poor guy was so sick that he prayed sitting down. Soon the solat completed, I took him to the nearest Pharmacy and got him a box of ENO to disperse all the wind. I recommended him to drink the ENO with the holy zam zam water and insyaalah he would be all right.

30 January 2013.

Free & Easy today. I met the guy who was sick the previous night and he was now fit as a fiddle. My prescription worked with Allah blessing. Miracles do happen in Mecca.

At the background is the New Mosque at Babul Umrah.

Boarding Passes safe in the sling bag.


A very informal Haji from Malaysia.

Since the following day, the Group of 17 Jemaah to depart for home, I put on the notice instructions for tomorrow program at the Dining Hall.

After Isyakh, I went shopping for Shasha’s apparel and some other things requested by the Home Ministry. Packed all my things into the luggage bag.  

In the Hotel, I encountered with Ustaz Zamzami Mahmud, the Tahaffiz Mudir and donated to him the complimentary Koran that I got from the Koran Factory in Medina to his Madrasah.

New Wing to be incorporated with the existing Masjidilharam.

My Kampong Imam 4 caught having ice cream.
31 January 2013. (Last Day in Mecca). 
 
At 0930 hrs I went to Saudi Air Office at Hilton Hotel to obtain the boarding passes. I was the first customer of the day and within ten (10) minutes all was sorted out. Thank Allah; the Saudi Air Arabs have changed. In March 2012, I had a big argument with them when my numbering was ignored, preference and bypassed by well clad Arabs. The Arabs never know about queuing system. 

The Jemaah luggage was down at the Hotel Lobby at 1200 hrs. Soon the zam zam water canisters arrived I had to do the name tagging. I instructed those who would be going home to have an early lunch before zohor and immediately after zohor to perform the widak.

During zohor I chose a spot within the Kaabah Courtyard so that I could easily perform the widak soon the solat zohor completed. Finally I bid farewell to the Kaabah and in my doa, I seek Allah to be invited again during Ramadan or earlier, insyaalah. 

At 1430 hrs the Muassasah Officials handed the Passports and got the boarding Passes and Immigration Departure Cards slipped into the respective Passports.

At 1500 hrs we boarded the Bus and headed for Jeddah Floating Mosque by the Red Sea. Good bye Mecca. Thou shall come again, insyallah. In the bus, I then collected 45 Saudi Riyal each from the Jemaah for Airport Porter and baksis.

Solat asar was at Jeddah Floating Mosque and departed for Saudi Air Terminal at 1830 hrs. Upon arrival the luggage and zam zam water canisters was handled by the Airport Porters. Haji Ismail did the check in and it was very easy as boarding passes had been obtained. However, the Arabs still gave us a headache, each passenger with only one luggage to check in. The rest of the smaller bags had to be shrinking wrapped as one single unit.

Once all the check in procedures was over, the Jemaah adjourned for solat jamak takhir, Isyakh and Maghreeb. Dinner was then served taken from Mecca in pack boxes.

We entered the Departure Hall at 2130 hrs. 

SV 832 departed Jeddah for KLIA on time at 2325 hrs and the plane was not fully packed. The Jemaah comfortably chose their seats at the rear section of the plane. I slept through the journey except meal time as I was fully exhausted.

01 February 2013.  

We landed at KLIA at 1235 hrs local Malaysian time.

Two (2) zam zam water canisters lost but luggage all intact. Since I brought back few canisters extra as contingency, I replenished the Jemaah with the extras.

I make sure all the Jemaah in my entourage got all their belonging and passed through the Custom check point to meet their awaiting family members.

When I was all set, I called my daughter who was waiting in a car distance away to pick me up at Door 8, at the extreme end of the Terminal.

Home, at last from an unexpected journey. What an experience!!! I love it and I wish I am offered again to be a Leader of an UMRAH Group.

Haji Mokhdzar & Puan Serina…………..syukhran.

No comments: