Monday, December 22, 2008

Golden Jubilee.

It is not often you get invited to a Golden Jubilee function. I attended one yesterday to commemorate the 50th anniversary wedding of Tuan Haji Fahruddin and Puan Hajjah Rogayah at Kampong Changkat in Gombak. Even though I was fully engaged with some other functions, I make sure I attended this one. I got to know this couple when they were my neighbor in Mecca during the Ramadan umrah. Haji Fahruddin, a prominent Imam in his community, is a very nice old man, humble, father like and knowledgeable. He speaks fluent Arabic but he never show off. I came to know when he spoke Arabic to the Flight Attendant on the Saudi Airline flight back from Jeddah.

Hajjah Rogayah invited my family for the function but my son could not make it. We were just in time for the “doa selamat” but missed the “tahlil” due to the traffic jam at the outer ring road. I jokingly apologized to them that we were 50 years late to attend their wedding. I was glad to see the couple in their jovial mood surrounded by their three children and several grandchildren. I was just wondering whether I could see my Golden Jubilee in fifteen years time. Insyaalah (God willing).

The crowd was moderate and there were familiar faces. I met Tuan Haji Hassan Yatim and his wife Puan Hajjah Noriah. Haji Hassan was the Tour Proprietor during the Ramadan umrah. Haji Hassan inquired about my plan for 2009 Ramadan umrah. I plainly told him that I am willing to join his entourage provided one “idiot” does not exist in the same group. He suggested different flight and Hotel with the idiot but I still said, no way, Jose. I told Haji Hassan, my mission for umrah is to seek peace and confide with Allah in the company of humble and down to earth people. Lesson taught that I just could not be in a company of a cocky and snobbish Division One Government Officer who thinks that he is next to God. The gentleman besides me was curious and I related the idiot’s behaviors in Mecca. You have this type of people in Mecca? I told him, Haji Hassan can testify. Astrafilallahalazim.

I am glad that Haji Fahruddin and Hajjah Rogayah would be leaving for umrah, coming 17th January 2009. She was sickly during the last Ramadan umrah and now she hope when Mecca is not as crowded as in the month of Ramadan she is able to perform all the umrah rituals in a more peaceful and better perspectives.

We had to say farewell to the couple at 1230 hours as we had another wedding to attend to. One just wed and the other wedded 50 years ago.

To Haji Fahruddin and Hajjah Rogayah, the family wishes you Long Live and may Allah Bless you both. Congratulation.

No comments: