Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Northern Break.

I had to visit my Ramadan 2010 umrah buddy who is currently recuperating at the northern state of Malaysia, in Perlis. He was diagnosed of cancer and the stage is medically acute and critical.

I left with Haji Zailan to Jitra Kedah on Sunday morning 26 February 2010. Haji Zailan was to meet several Kedah Businessman and at the same time an informal meeting with his business associates. Top of the agenda was to visit our sickly buddy. We stayed at Haji Zailan country home at Desa Tanjung, Jalan Istana in Jitra, a Housing Estate which his Company developed.

The Country Home.

In the evening we visited an interlock brick factory near Changloon. I was keen to see how interlock bricks being manufactured. A new concept of manufacturing building bricks originally from Sudan and improvised in Thailand. They brought in the technology and machineries to Northern Malaysia and now the interlock bricks being successfully implemented at several new building projects. It had obtained SIRIM certification.

At night Cik Gu Zaki showed the direction to Arau Perlis to visit our sickly buddy. It broke my heart to see my buddy who was six months ago strong and healthy in Mekah but now bedridden. His eyesight and hearing were deteriorating and he could hardly walk. I travelled all the way up north, cancelled my entire program just to visit him. It was after about an hour that we bid farewell and promised to revisit him in the near future. Come to think of it, sometimes life can be so cruel but it’s all fated and a destiny. I left him in the good hands of Allah blessings.

After breakfast on Monday I was given a guided tour of the Housing Estate and showed the Guest House, the model bungalow unit and those under constructions. I like the whole concepts with all units are single storey, fence less, security upkeep and the green environment. It is like a Malay kampong with modern buildings and infrastructures. Very conducive for Retirees like me but Jitra is too far off and out of my way to spend the balance of my life. The cost is comparatively low, equivalent to a double storey unit in the Klang Valley and here at Desa Tanjung you get a bungalow with land. No staircase to climb.

The Guest House and its garden.

Part of the Housing Estate from the Guest House entrance.

Dato Zaki Suffian the local Travel Agency Proprietor and an ex kampong mate came to meet me in the evening at Desa Tanjung as he had just completed the formalities of sending eleven (11) Pilgrims to perform the umrah on 14 March 2011 through the Company that I recommended. He was surprised that I was in town. We talked about the good old time and the current political scenarios in Kedah. He decided to “balik kampong” to Jitra Kedah since six (6) years ago.

At night, while Haji Zailan was having a business discussion in Alor Star, his associates took me to Kubang Pasu Ikan Bakar for dinner. Early on Tuesday morning 01 march 2011, at 0215 hours we decided to drive back home to the Klang Valley stopping at Bukit Merah and Tapah R & R for refreshment. The weather was fine all the way.

We reached Port Klang at 0700 hours and before Haji Zailan retired to his residence at Bukit Jelutong I entertained him to a “nasi kandar” breakfast at KRU Mak Minah.

It was a long journey up north, tired but I fulfilled my sole intention of meeting sickly Haji Suran, the guy whom I befriended at Mekah in August 2010. We were in the same entourage and resided in the same Hotel. I hope to revisit him in April 2011 in a much better improved situation. Insyaalah.

No comments: