Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Fallen Soldier.

It was very sad indeed to receive a phone call from my cousin at the wee hour of the morning at 0230 hrs that my uncle (my late Auntie’s husband) had passed away at Teluk Intan Hospital. Probably, he succumbed to cardiac arrest as he had breathing problem.
 
WO II Tuan Haji Osman bin Kamaruddin aged 86, Regimental No: 4853 was born in Teluk Intan and chose the Malay Regiment as his career. He started as a Private and ended up as Warrant Officer II. He served the 4th Malay Regiment. In the 50s the Regiment was based in Tapah to combat the communists in the Batang Padang District including Cameron Highland. He also served in Congo as member of UN Peace Mission in the early 60s. Back from Congo he was based at camp Sebatang Karah in Port Dickson as Squadron Instructor to train the Setia Negara Squad from East Malaysia to combat the Sukarno “konfrantasi” at the Sarawak Sabah international borders. He was also a Sportsman and represented 4th.Malay in Soccer and Hockey. Among his colleagues he was known as “Osman Tiger”. Sgt Baharin, an Uncle on my father’s side narrated to me, WO II Osman was fierce as a tiger at the Parade Ground or during any jungle operations.

He left behind two (2) daughters, a son and eleven (11) grandchildren. His wife (my auntie) and two (2) sons passed away before him.

I have special thought for this fallen soldier as he gave me shelter for a couple of months in Telok Kemang soon after my Senior Cambridge Examination. I landed at Telok Kemang, having a balance of about three (3) MYR in the pocket on Christmas Day 1965 and in May 1966 I started a career as Process Assistant in Esso Malaysia Refinery. From thereon I climbed the ladder in life until retired as Senior Manager in Kumpulan Guthrie. What if he and his family were not at home on 25 December 1965? I cannot tell what I would be today. My destiny could be different. Maybe, I looked for a Surau or a Mosque, looked for a job, had enough money and went back to where I came from. For the shelter, bread and butter, he provided, I remain grateful and it remain a very special memory and thought in my life. I last met my late Uncle in Kuala Lumpur at a cousin’s wedding sometimes last year.

I remember when he was at Kelana Jaya Haj Complex before his Haj pilgrimage he asked me, “Why you gave me so much money?”  I replied, “Don’t mention just take it”. The amount was nothing compared to the shelter he provided henceforth I start kick my working life. The Malay proverb goes, “Orang berbudi kita berbahasa” (One good turn deserves another).

When I was a small kid, he used to bring back home to the kampong house the extra army ration and the tinned minced beef I enjoyed most. He demonstrated to me the trick how they cooked it in the mess tin during the jungle operation. He told me lot of stories how the combat soldiers took turn to sleep at night in the thick jungle tying thin rope to each other. 
  
I made my way to Teluk Intan, Kampong Bahagia with my wife on 13 September 2013 to pay my last respect. His body was taken to Kampong Bahagia Mosque and the prayer was conducted after solat Jumaat. My estimate, there were more or less about 800 Jemaah participated at the prayer rite. Regret I was unable to witness the burial as I have to drive back all the way to Port Klang before sunset. My night vision is not that good anymore.

To the fallen soldier and my Hero, may Allah bless your soul and be together in the circle of the almukminin.


Al Fatihah…………...      

No comments: