Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Tenth Pilgrimage.

The coming Ramadhan this September 2008 would be my tenth trip to the Holy Land,

First - In late 1995, I was striking the half century and it was about time I did something spiritually to my soul. I packed my wife, a son and daughter and off we went to the Holy Land to perform the umrah. The first time I saw the Kaabah and I wonder, millions of Muslim is facing the Kaabah and I was right in front of it, millions behind me. What a wonderful feeling. I felt I was so small among the crowd. Allah had permitted me to visit his House and I promised to the Almighty that this would not be the first and the last. I also paid my respect to the Holy Tomb of the Prophet (pbuh) in Nabawi Mosque in Medina and I felt I was very close to Him. He was the Messenger of Allah, the chosen one, not just any ordinary man. He was the last Prophet to all mankind.

Second – My wife and I performed the Haj on, 21st.February to 5th.April 1999. After I came back from the first umrah, I decided I must perform the fifth pillar of Islam. It is obligated for every Muslim to perform the Haj provided he/she can afford it monetarily, healthy and of mentally sound. The Haj went well. I managed to do the 80 prayers at Nabawi Mosque in Medina, the night stay at the Desert of Arafah, the stoning of the Devils at Mina and other compulsory rituals. One pilgrim passed away in my tent in the Desert of Arafah and one passed away on the same flight home to KLIA.

Third – I retired beginning of 2001 and my wife retired in mid 2002. We decided the payoff we received might as well be utilized for some good deed. I went to the Holy Land for umrah with my wife on 13th August to 27th. August 2002. We were lucky that our Hotel in Medina was very close to the Nabawi Mosque. In this Mosque, the most sought place to perform your sunat prayer is at Raudah. It is so said that the Raudah is one of the Garden in Paradise. A white carpeted area beside the Tomb of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). The décor and lightings at this place would fascinate any one. On most occasions I never missed this place and I usually find a space when I go after midnight.

Fourth – I went to the holy Land to perform the umrah again on 25th.June to 8th.July 2003 but this time I went alone. During this trip, one pilgrim was found missing in Medina from Friday morning until Saturday afternoon. I went for night search and I mostly covered all corners of the Mosque looking for him. This time the Hotel in Mekah was just at the fringe of the Holy Mosque. From the Hotel I just had to cross the road and I was already in the Mosque. However, the lift was frightening, a 1948 manually closed door.

Fifth – I had a mild stroke on 9th.October 2003 and I was slowly recovering. In 2004, my wife decided that we should perform the umrah to seek and pray in front of the Holy Kaabah to the Almighty Allah for my speedy recovery. I was not really steady but my wife was beside to me incase I hit the ground. We went there on 3rd June to 9th.June 2004. We took the opportunity to tour Istanbul before we performed the umrah. It was wonderful to see the Blue Mosque in Istanbul but the journey was very tiring. We had to do several stoppages and transits. Flight to Singapore, stopover in Bangkok and flew to Istanbul. Istanbul to Jeddah then flew to Medina. From Medina, flew to Jeddah then by road to Mekah. The return trip was by road to Jeddah and flew back to Istanbul. From Istanbul flew to Bangkok, stopover then onward to Singapore, then finally to KLIA. I had to pay excess baggage on the leftover baggage in Istanbul. Our baggage was final checked in at Jeddah. On all perspective, the Holy Land was more important than the side tour. I stood and kneel in front of the Kaabah seeking forgiveness and blessings from the Almighty. I came to your House to surrender myself for thou only human. I played back the negative slides of my life and I submit to the Almighty that thou only human and I leave it to the Almighty to decide. I thank the Almighty for giving me the time and the strength to find my way to the Holy Land. I came home from the Holy Land and the Land of Constantinople satisfied.


Sixth – I wanted to spend Ramadahan in the Holy Land, to feel the fasting in the desert. I went on 5th.October to 5th.November 2005. During Ramadhan, especially in the Holy City of Mekah, the City would be packed by pilgrims from all over the world. Two to three million of pilgrims prayed and packed the Mosque. It was said that if you fast and perform the umrah in Ramadhan it is equivalent of performing the Haj with the Holy Prophet (pbuh). The pilgrims spend the whole night praying the terawikh and tahajud. The peak of Ramadhan in Mekah is on the 27th.night of Ramadhan. It is believed that if Allah accepted your prayers on this night, it is equivalent of 1000 years of prayers. One of my room mates was knocked by a taxi on his way back from subuh prayer and he had a bad sprained ankle. We collected money and bought him a wheelchair. It is good that while we are in the Holy Land to do as many good deed as possible to another human beings. Giving alms to the poor is also encouraged but not a necessity. The month of Ramadhan is the month of giving.


Seventh – Satisfied with the previous Ramadhan fasting, I went again on 25th September to 25th.October 2006. It was all about the same, same Agent and same Hotels. On the 27th of Ramadhan after the noon prayer there was a thunderstorm in Mekah. Heavy downpour and billboards came crashing down. Traffic came to standstill as most vehicles had a malfunction screen wipers. Most Mekkans came out to enjoy the downpour as it was not often they see water dropping from the sky. I came out to take some photographs. The rituals during this time were merely routines as I had the experienced of the previous Ramadhan. On the first of Syawal, the end of Ramadhan, the City was so packed that there was no way for me to enter the Mosque for the Hari Raya prayer. I prayed in front of the Hotel where I stayed, joining the congregation. The only disappointment about this trip was about the RM 1000.00 I had to pay excess baggage fee at Jeddah Airport by Malaysian Airline. I promised myself, no more Malaysian Airline to Saudi Arabia. I blamed the Tour Agent for checking individually instead of group.

Eight – The urge of spending Ramadhan in the Holy Land was there and I went again on 12th.September to 10th.October 2007. I just had my cataracts removed and I had clearer visions now without my normal glasses. This time, I took Etihad Airline and transit at Abu Dhabi Airport. As agreed with the Tour Agent, I wanted to complete the fasting in Mekah and spend the Hari Raya there. I was so disappointed that I had to take the Etihad flight home on the 26th of Ramadhan. I even missed the peak and I managed to perform the 27th night terawikh at the Haj Airport Terminal on my way to Abu Dhabi. I was fortunate to be invited by the Airport Management to break fast with them. It was typical of Arab cuisine. Arrived at Abu Dhabi and I took the opportunity sightseeing Abu Dhabi city. It was a16 hour transit and the Airline provided a star Hotel to stay. I completed the balance of the fasting month at home. Disappointed but Almighty Allah had destined me that way.

Ninth – It was five years since my wife went to the Holy Land. She decided to go and we planned after the Holy Land we might as well tour Cairo. Moreover, I had not been to the African continent. We went to the Holy Land on 15th.April to 26th.April 2008. It was a bad beginning but a pleasant ending. The Saudi Airline 747 was delayed due to one engine malfunctioned. It was to take off at 1730 hr. The Airline checked us in at Adelphi Hotel in Seremban. When I was about to hit the pillow after the Nightline News at 0030 hr, I had a call to assemble in the Lobby at 0130 hr as the plane would take off at 0430 hr. On arrival at Jeddah, the Hotel in Medina which was to be our first destination was cancelled by the Agent. We now had to be diverted to Mekah instead and performed the miqat at Zulfah. We finally made it to Mekah and performed the arrival umrah. Mekah is in the process of knocking down old buildings for their 10 year plan to transform Mekah into a metropolitan city. The whole city was dusty even the Kaabah. Every other day they had to vacuum the black cloth that covered the Kaabah. After Mekah, we went to Medina and after three days in Medina we proceeded to the Land of the Pharaohs. My only interest was the pyramids, the sphinx and the Nile cruise. We also went to Alexandria, its beaches frontage the Mediterranean. We landed home after a three hour transit at Riyadh Airport after Cairo.

Tenth – Planning to leave KLIA on 27th.August 2008 by Saudi Airline for Jeddah at 1425 hr. I have now switched the different Travel Agent and God willing insyaalah I will be back in Malaysia on the 5th of Hari Raya.

No comments: