Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bandung and the Blunder.

It was booked months ago by my friend through Air Asia for a trip to Bandung and the Guest of Honor was the Mosque Imam No 2. It was the first time he was going to step on Java Island and my pleasure to chaperone him.

11 February 2011: We left for Bandung by the evening flight and touched down at Husin Sasteranegara Airport at 2000 hours local time. Took the Airport Taxi straight to Hotel Guntur which was pre booked. We had dinner by the Hotel Garden and retired early as the next day we were going to venture to an extinct volcano.


Hotel Guntur, Bandung.

12 February 2011: The rented Limo came on schedule and we drove up to the volcanic mountain of Tangkuban Prahu. It was my second visit to this place and it was no big deal. Nothing changes except the weather. I hate the local Peddlers who persistently pestering and tailing like a leech convincing to buy their stuff. Foreign Tourists would not be able to enjoy the scenic sceneries in peace as these Peddlers are really a nuisance. They waited for you even you decide to have a drink at the drinking stall. At one of the warm clothing stall outlet, I bought myself a home knitted sweater as a remembrance. I must admit it’s bloody cheap but smart bargaining is the trick and trade of the day.

The extinct crater of Tangkuban Prahu.

Imam No 2 & me at the crater fringe.

We decided luncheon at Kampong Daun. On the way, I was laughing when the Limo Driver lost his way among the mountain. Somehow we managed to get to the place and being late we were allocated to Wakaf 36 high up on the hill slope of which we had to ascend several steps along the mountain stream and waterfall. We had lunch and lazed around as the Wakaf was personalized.

Lunch at the Kampong Daun Wakaf.

Imam No 2 enjoying his lunch.

The waterfall & the mountain stream.

The flower nursery on the way down to Bandung.

After lunch we went to the Factory Outlet in town and my favorite outlet was “Secret Recipe” at Jalan Riau. Being weekend the place was crowded as residents of Jakarta and surroundings came to Bandung for weekend retreat and shopping. There were plentiful discounted branded varieties to choose from and I decided only on two branded T shirts. Have card will travel. Yuppies would love this place. Late evening we returned to the Hotel and called off the Limo Driver.

For dinner we took a Taxi to the town biggest Shopping Mall and had dinner at the Food Court. I had the chance to glimpse the live telecast between MU and Manchester City and MU make my day by beating City by 2 – 1.

The following day program would be serious shopping spree.

13 February 2011: It was a walking distance from Hotel Guntur to Pasar Baru Shopping Complex. We just had to walk across the overhead railway crossing and we were there at the Complex. Pasar Baru Complex is the six storey shopping Mecca for Malaysians. Ladies can go crazy and everything is in thousands and hundred thousand. Can be by the million depending what you purchase. A million was only RM 345 Malaysian Ringgit on that day. I normally get confused with the so many zeros. Just name it and you can get it at Pasar Baru. I accompanied my two friends to do their shopping and I was only interested to buy Women praying overall (telekong) and some batik shirts. Once I got what I wanted, I adjourned to the 6th.Floor Food Court, sat down at the Kalimantan Stall and waited for my other two friends to continue their shopping spree. In the meantime I became the Caretaker of their shopping bags. I hate comingling among the crowd.

We decided for Nasi Padang lunch and we requested the Taxi Driver to take us to one. We rested the rest of the afternoon in the Hotel room and only out for dinner at night, to another Nasi Padang outlet. Nasi Padang outlet is the safest and cleanest place to have our food.

14 March 2011: Last day in Bandung. Once Pasar Baru opened its door and there was no hustle and bustle we did our final shopping. Here I got Shasha a swimming suit. Mid morning, we booked a Taxi to go to Toko Tiga and Palasari. Toko Tiga is a Complex selling all varieties of jeans and Palasari where you can get all type of books. At Toko Tiga I bought two jeans and at Palasari I bought a Quraan complete with translations and two maps of Kalimantan Provinces as requested by my cousin.

After lunch, we checked out and headed for the Airport for flight at 1500 hours. All set to check in when our names were not in the passengers list and did not appear in the computer systems. Counter checking, there was a BIG BLUNDER. The returning flight stated was on 14 March 2011 instead of 14 February 2011. OMG!! What do you expect me to do in Bandung for another month? All flights out by Air Asia and MAS for the next two days from Bandung were fully booked. We were stuck……….however we managed to get an alternative flight out from Jakarta on 15 February 2011, the following day at 1500 hours. We then rushed to Bandung Railway Station and managed to get three seats via Argo Paragahayan Executive Train leaving Bandung at 1630 hours, arriving Gambir Station in Jakarta at 2000 hours. We were relieved once we were on the train.

Arriving Jakarta we finally found a room at Ibis Arcadia Hotel. The Hotel is a walking distance to Garuda Nasi Padang where we had dinner. Compared to Bandung, the food in Jakarta is three times more expensive. I excused myself early, rushed back to the Hotel as the food in Bandung started to give me problem. Perhaps I had too much of “jengkol masak lemak” (jengkol is jering in Malaysia).

15 February 2011: We checked out early and the plan was to Taman Mini Indonesia, Ancol and to Airport. We managed only to Taman Mini as the road leading to Ancol was jammed due to the Public Holiday, Birthday of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). We rather played safe and headed straight to the Airport. Regret that we had to disappoint Imam No 2, maybe next time and this time we ensure to doubly counter check the return date.

Taman Mini Indonesia, Jakarta.

I just managed to talk over the phone with my ex Guthrie mate who are now base in Jakarta. Later I came to know my son was also in Jakarta on the same day.

The flight was on schedule and we landed at LCCT at about 1800 hour’s local time. I still have a valid return ticket from Bandung to LCCT on 14 March 2011. Possibly, that would be my fourth trip to Bandung. Maybe……my great paternal ancestors once came from Bandung, and my great and great paternal grandparents keep calling me to visit them. Who knows?

I love Bandung because of its weather, the Factory Outlets and you name it you got it cheap at Pasar Baru.

No comments: