Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Deepavali 2011.

Yesterday my blood pressure shot up to 170/90 and the Doctor had to recheck thrice to ensure it really 170/90. I think I had salted fish with iced tea O during lunch. She advised me to take my medication immediately as I had been neglecting it for couple of days.

I had to go out and relax mentally today, on Deepavali public holiday. Morning breakfast was very light, just a piece of bread. I dare not even touch the fried noodle (mee goring), fearing it might be salty.

Let’s go out for a drive, anywhere I suggested to my wife and daughter. I had to see some green to sooth of my mind. We decided to go to Port Dickson by the back way. Coincidentally I could visit my bed ridden friend, Haji Baharuddin Baba. Haji Sabuddin Bidol had taken the trouble to transmit a short message about our friend.

Before noon we took the Elite highway heading for the F1 circuit, Sepang, Tanah Merah Estate, Lukut and Kampong Paya before Port Dickson. My daughter took the wheel as I was also worried about my crazy blood pressure. By Lukut I called Haji Musa at Kampong Paya that I would be at his house within 30 minutes and I called Haji Sabuddin Bidol to meet me there.

We sat down for tea at Haji Musa’s residence and I was sad to note that my former neighbor in Port Dickson, Hajjah Salbiah had passed away about three (3) weeks ago. After tea we adjourned to Haji Baharuddin Baba residence about a kilometer away. It broke my heart to see him lying motionless, eyes closed, even unable to respond to my call. Baharuddin is suffering stage 4 prostate cancer and he only came to know of his ailment only on the second day of Aidilfitri 2011. Couple of day back he was critically in bad state and was on morphine prescription. Baharuddin Baba, BB as we call him was my working colleague in ESSO from 1966 to 1974. We became quite close as his uncle and aunty in law was renting a room at my parent’s house in Ipoh. We were young bachelors then and at time we used to spend our off days in KL. In the late 60s, having a Volkswagen was already vogue.

The best thing I could do at his bedside was to tell him to hang on, patience and always remember Allah the Almighty, our Creator. Whether he heard me or otherwise was a second matter. I hold his right hand and in silence I said my prayer asking Allah to take care of him. The son was telling me that an Ambulance is on the way from Seremban to pick up his father to be transferred to Hospital University Kebangsaan Malaysia (HUKM) Kuala Lumpur. I think it was a good idea as in the Hospital he can get professional care and treatment.

We then adjourned and paid courtesy call to Haji Mohd Shah Hamzah whose house is just nearby. This old man was one of my Superintendant in ESSO Refinery. He looked healthy all right and skinny as before. Operating several petrol stations in KL but prefer to hibernate in the kampong, away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

On the way back to Haji Musa residence we noticed that the Ambulance had already arrived to pick up Haji Baharuddin to HUKM KL.

By 1700 hours we left Kampong Paya and stopped at Restoran Cahaya Musthafa at Lukut. This Restaurant belong to Haji Tamlees, my colleague during 2011 Ramadan umrah. He wasn’t at the Restaurant but he phoned his Helper not to take any money from me. We just had tea and simple “roti canai” but his Helper dished out some mutton and fried chicken. I took some mutton and when I realized my blood pressure is on the high side, I quickly abandoned the dish.

The next stop was at Sepang Mosque to perform the jamak prayer of zohor and asar. As I was praying inside, outside was pouring and the heavy downpour followed us all the way to Port Klang.

We touched base at 2000 hours.

Deepavali is not like the old days when I was working. I used to have several Hindu acquaintances from the Office, Golf Course and business colleagues.

Anyway, HAPPAY DEEPAVALI to whom it may concern.

No comments: