Friday, June 14, 2013

Doha Qatar - Final Chapter.

O7 June 2013: QR 733 from Medina landed at Doha at about 1230 hrs. We were on twelve (12) hours transit and I had made arrangement with Tuan Haji Ashraf to meet us at the Arrival Hall. We skipped the Transit Point and headed for the Arrival Hall as we had to exit from the Airport.

At Immigration I had to use my Visa Credit Card to purchase twenty (20) passengers entry permits at 100 Qatari Riyal per head. I had 3000 Qatari Riyal but reserved to pay the local Travel agent. Immigration was swift and among the Middle East countries, I had covered, I find Immigration Officials at Doha Airport stands the best, most efficient and courteous.

Tuan Haji Ashraf was waiting for our arrival and he had a Coaster to take us around Doha. It was unfortunate our welcome to Doha was hampered with sandstorm.

Tuan Haji Ashraf of Doha.

Vision blur due to sand storm.

Vision hampered due to sand storm.

Tuan Haji Ashraf is not a professional Tour Guide but he came out to help his friend who owns a Travel Agency and it was the first time this Travel Company did a ground tour for Malaysians. Being Malaysians, Tuan Haji Ashraf would be of great help.

The first stop was Villagio Shopping Mall. The best Mall in Doha, similar to Genting Highland where there is a water way at the center of the Mall and a gondola ride like Venice. The group was free to walk around and I sat with Tuan Haji Ashraf for coffee and settled the tour charges as agreed.











Vilaggio Mall Doha.

To perform our jamak zohor and asar we were taken to the Qatar Grand Mosque of Imam Mohamad Ibn Abdul Wahab, inaugurated in 2011. It is a huge Mosque that can accommodate 11,000 worshippers at any one time. As we walked along the courtyard to the main Prayer Hall, the gusty sea wind affected our balance.

Grand Mosque of Imam Mohamad Ibn Abdul Wahab.

The Coach took us a grand tour of The Pearl. The Pearl is an artificial island spanning nearly four (4) million square meters and once completed it will create 32 km of coastline.

Our next stop was Katara.  Katara is a cultural village located on the eastern coast between West Bay and The Pearl spanning over one (1) million square meters. It was soft opened in 2010. Buggies are easily available to usher the tourists around the complex. The beach and the view at Katara are just fantastic.


At Main entrance of Katara.






All at KATARA.

Our last stop of the grand tour of Doha is “Souq Waqaf”. Literally mean in Arabic as standing market. It is like a Bazaar and a tourist attraction where one can get anything from Souq Waqaf. Souvenirs Shops, Restaurants and Cafes are plentiful. We had dinner at a Yemeni Restaurant, mutton / chicken briyani and it was not cheap. Dinner was not inclusive in the itinerary even though Aiman Tan suggested that I used my credit card. To me a light and simple dinner was more appropriate as there will be food coming up in the plane. 

The Yemeni Restaurant at Souq Waqaf.

Personally I found, Souq Waqaf is a crazy place. The narrow alleys and short of proper sign of direction will definitely make one lost the way around. Every corner is an entrance and an exit. Tuan Haji Ashraf confessed during his early stay in Doha, he too got lost. The night tour makes it even worst.

The Cafe.

Narrow alleyway.

The abaya shop.

Cafe everywhere.
SOUQ WAQAF OF DOHA.

After dinner we went shopping for souvenirs. Initially one of the young guys in the group was accidentally left behind at the Yemeni Restaurant. Tuan Haji Ashraf and the guy’s father back tracked and found him. One lady wanted to buy an “abaya” and Tuan Haji Ashraf led the way among the narrow lanes. I was at the tail and stopped a while to purchase a cap. One moment I lost track of the group and I was left alone, could not figure out among the mazes where the group went. I was lost but I went back to basic and looked for the point where the Coaster dropped the group just opposite the Mosque. The Group was frantically looking for me, the Chief was lost.

My two (2) hand phones were dead. I could not charge them when Medina was black out. Luckily I had a newly bought hand phone at Medina and it was half charge and operational. I had Tuan Haji Ashraf business card with me but I did not carry my reading glass. I stopped one Qatari gentleman and assisted me to call Tuan Haji Ashraf. They were relieved I was found at last but according to Aiman Tan, my presence or otherwise make no difference at all. I took offence of that uncouth statement and fully expected from a typical Chinaman. One can never take out the Chinese out from a Chinaman.

Doha Airport was not far off and upon arrival I distributed the boarding passes for KLIA. I thanked Tuan Haji Ashraf for all the assistance and the time off from his family and spoilt his weekend.

With Haji Ashraf at Doha Airport - Terima kasih. 

I make sure everybody passed through Immigration and I proceeded to the Airport Surau to perform jamak Maghreeb and Isyakh. I sat alone in the Surau and had my two (2) hand phone charged.

08 June 2013: At about 0030 hrs I walked slowly to Gate 19, the departure point. At 0100 hrs we boarded the plane and QR 624 left Doha at 0120 hrs. I slept most of the flight, awakened only above the Andaman Sea.

At about 1430 hrs local Malaysian time, we landed at KLIA. All luggages arrived intact except a bottle of zam zam water. My daughter came to fetch me and home at last.

My next trip to the Middle East will be RAMADAN, insyaalah.

Comment:

There were things throughout the journey from KLIA, Istanbul, Mekah, Medina and Doha was beyond my control and doing but as an appointed Leader, I was the punching bag. I took stride with patience as tenure of my duty and responsibilities. “Innalahi umala hisobirin” Sometimes human just cannot sustain their actions and mouths. I left it to Almighty Allah, for He knows best. Actions or words once acted or uttered belong to the party whom referred to.               

2 comments:

MAHAGURU58 said...

Assalamualaikum Haji Mus.
As usual, your accounts of your travels are very interesting and a joy to read. The photos help me to get a mental picture of how things are at the various places you are fortunate to visit.

One thing I notice is that during your trips, there'll always be one or two smart asses who will screw up your day with their asinine attitudes and abhorrable conduct!

We can't choose our travel companions when we are part of a group. During my Hajj in 2011, there was one such weirdo too but I gave him a stern warning not to mess with me with his BS and the fella backed off.

If I was not on the pilgrimage, chances are that the bloke might have to see the dentist if he had continued with his repulsive attitude!

:)

sky is blue said...

Assalamualaikum...


Catatan yang sangat menarik...keep it up.