Monday, August 19, 2013

Ramadan Umrah 2013.

25 July 2013:  At 1200 hrs, assembled at KLIA, three (3) hours before flight with Ustaz Haji Mazlan, (Mutawif) and Haji Wan Azri @ Haji Boy (Addeen Travel) to do the group check in for twenty five (25) Ramadan umrah passengers. I was shocked when Mr. X (refer to 27 October 2008 posting) approached, greeted and extended a handshake. Since he offered a handshake, initially reluctantly responded but my wife was around. The guy happened to be on the same flight but different Travel package.

SV 831 took off at 1500 hrs and it was about 60% capacity. Before took off, surprisingly the Airport Security was looking for me in the plane as I accidentally left my hand phone in the tray during security check. Bad however lucky beginning.

Landed at Jeddah Haj Terminal at about 1800 hrs Saudi Arabia local time and Immigration formalities was swift and systematic. It was not the Jeddah Immigration that I used to know.

Iftar was during luggage recovery with the basic provided by Saudi Airline to Muslim passenger. While waiting for the bus arrival, we adjourned for solat jamak maghreeb and isyakh at the Terminal Surau.  I last saw Mr. X at the Haj Terminal Surau and never saw or met him again during the duration of my stay at the Holy Land.

Here, the Muassasah Officials were harassing us to vacate the Lounge but our Bus was not on sight. I stood up and justified to him of our standoff position. I also pointed to him that the Africans Jemaah was allowed scot free, the Officials walked off embarrassed. The Officials seems to be ignorant of priorities. We were avoiding overcrowding at the Bus Parking Bay when our Bus hasn’t arrived yet. I just could not tolerate Malaysians being bullied. Over several years of in and out of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, I have learnt how to handle the Arabs.
  
At an appointed spot out of the Haj Terminal we collected our dinner package from the Local Caterer.

26 July 2013: We headed straight for Medina speeding across the desert and were on time for sahur at the Hotel Dining. I was checked in into Room 710 with three (3) others at Gawharat Al Fayroz Hotel. Ustaz Mazlan, Haji Ashim and Pak Haji Ibrahim were my roommates.


The Hotel in Medina.

From Right: Ustaz Mazlan, Pak Haji Ibrahim, YM Raja Zulkernain, Haji Ashim, Haji Yusuf.

From here on it was all about surrendering to Allah. The first prayer at Masjid Nabawi was subuh and felt great and thank you Almighty Allah to be back at Masjid Nabawi within a very short span. The last in Medina was on 03 June 2013. I felt humbly proud and grateful that Almighty Allah had invited me again to The Holy Land. Addeen Travel submitted fifty (50) applications and only twenty five (25) was approved. I was one of the lucky twenty five (25). Alhamdullillah.

All the Jemaah took a good full day rest after a tiring flight and bus ride. For the first iftar at Masjid Nabawi, I chose to be inside the Masjid and followed with my first terawih in the Holy Land.

Iftar inside Nabawi.

Jemaah waiting for the azan inside Nabawi.

Since Raudah was accessible to Muslimah Jemaah until midnight, most of our Muslimah took the opportunity. We had limited time in Medina as Mekah was our priority.
  
27 July 2013: During subuh, I was emotionally touched by the demise of two (2) foreign jemaah, one just before the prayer commenced at the Mosque entrance and the other during the midst of subuh prayer. What a beautiful time and place to be called back by Almighty Allah.

The morning program was outside Medina excursion and the first destination was Masjid Quba, the first Mosque, the Holy Prophet (pbuh) built soon he arrived from Mecca during the hijrah. We then stopped a while at the Date Farm. The next historic place was Jabal Uhud and Ustaz Mazlan gave us a thorough lecture the history of the place. It was simply academically refreshing as I have heard several times before. We passed through Masjid Qiblatin and the Seven Mosques. We were fortunate to have Ustaz Mazlan who was a Graduate from Medina Islamic University, and thoroughly knowledgeable lecturing the brief history of each historical site as we passed through.

Date Farm & Shop in Medina.

Ustaz Mazlan assisting Muslimah at the Date Shop.

Jabal Uhud at the back.

Lecture by Ustaz Mazlan.
After zohor I must pay my homage to the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and to enter Raudah. As I was about to leave the Hotel Room, I raised my hand in doa pleading Almighty Allah for a place in Raudah, simultaneously my roommates joined in the Ameen. I believed in the power of doa and miracle did happened. As I reached the Raudah border, I stood a while and one Jemaah stood up and summoned me to take over his place. It was the same spot where I last prayed during my visit to Raudah on 03 June 2013. It was right behind The Holy Prophet’s (pbuh) Mimbar right in front the staircase to the Muazzein platform. I was emotionally touched by the power of my doa where Almighty Allah had granted within minutes. I spend a few minutes at Raudah and prayed all the sunat prayers and doa that I had planned. During the exit I met Raja Zulkernain and led him to pay our homage and greetings to the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and his two Comrades, Saidina Abu Bakar and Omar.

For iftar, I joined Ustaz Mazlan and Haji Ashim at the Dataran. I never experienced iftar at the Mosque Dataran. We were fed with chicken nasi briyani, unlike the iftar in the Mosque where only bread and yogurt was served.

Iftar outside Nabawi at the Dataran.

Doa pre iftar.

The Jemaah outsede Nabawi set for iftar. 

After terawih, led by Ustaz Mazlan we went to the Date Market and with his five (5) years local Medina experience we got the best quality and prices.

Various grades of Dates.

27 July 2013: Last Day in Medina. During subuh prayer I chose to be at the west wing so that I could easily perform my widak (farewell) immediately after subuh prayer.

The Bus Driver supposed to pick us up at 0800 hrs but only turned up at 0900 hrs. The Muaassah Officials was upset with the late arrival as his job was to ensure all the Jemaah left Medina preventing any one from absconding and remain in Medina as PATI (alien citizens). Sulaiman, the Nigerian Driver had a lot to explain to the Arab Muaassah Officials.

Set for Mekah.
We were all in ihram and we just stopped by at Bir Ali Mosque for a couple of minutes to miqat – declaring our intention to perform an umrah. We did some shortcuts to save time but remain within the context of al sunnah.

In ihram.
While waiting for the Bus in front of Hotel with a Bangla.

I slept through half of the six (6) hours bus journey as the sceneries are too common and monotonous. It was nothing but deserts and spotted R&R along the highway. No stoppages for refreshment as we were all fasting. It was best to catch up with sleep as we would be having a long day ahead to perform the umrah in Masjidilharam.

We arrived at our Hotel in Mekah, Areej Al Falah at the Misfalah area (behind Mekah Hilton) just after asar and got our room sorted out. I was allotted into Room 1104 with the same occupants as in Medina. The room was comparatively smaller but we got to make do what was offered. Almighty Allah had destined it to be that way.


Hotel in Mekah.



Pictures take from in front of Hotel (Masjidilharam within sight).
I then went with Raja Zulkernain to Makkah Hilton Surau to perform our jamak prayer of zohor and asar. Iftar was at the spacious Hotel Dining. Since we were going to perform the umrah after Isyakh, I performed the jamak prayer of Maghreeb and Isyakh in the Hotel Room.

During terawih prayer, the entourage solemnly marched to Masjidilharam for the umrah ritual. Ustaz Mazlan led the pack upfront and I stood by at the rear. Due to the enormous crowd at the tawaf area, I lost track of the pack and decided to go on my own singly. Dataran Kaabah is not the same anymore. Though I had seen in picture and Television, I now saw with my own eye sights the huge two tiers elevated ring platform constructed around Kaabah to facilitate the Jemaah on wheelchairs. Deep within me, I felt, the majestic of Kaabah had been temporarily disturbed but I consoled myself for the sake of Masjidilharam expansion to facilitate the increment of Haj and umrah Pilgrims. 
   
Just before midnight, I completed the umrah ritual.

28 July 2013: Short rest after the umrah and first sahur at the Hotel Dining. Settling down in Mekah and got everything organized.

For isyakh and terawih I decided to go to the adjoining New Mosque at Babul Umrah. This under construction Mosque is operational during Ramadan to cater for the extraordinary numbers of jemaah in Mekah. The Mosque is spacious and with ample space to cater for everybody however certain sections remain closed due to construction in progress.

29 July 2013: Normally sleep after subuh to zohor to compensate the night stand ibadah.

After asar to iftar, I normally walked around to see the changes in Mekah or looking for supplementary for iftar. Hotel Zahreet Kamil, across the Street which I stayed last Ramadan was set for demolition.

Bangla Street was my favorite as I practically could get everything.

Zahret Kamil Hotel set to be demolished.
For isyakh and terawih, the preference was at the New Mosque.

30 July 2013: Qiamulai started. Prayer started at 0100 hrs to about 0230 hrs. Qiamulai is only conducted during the last ten (10) days of Ramadan. For the last ten days, the night ibadah started by iftar, maghreeb, isyakh, terawih, qiamulai, witir, sahur and subuh. The nights were fully occupied.

Squeezing any free time between the ibadah, we were fortunate to catch up with home news as the Hotel provided wifi at the Lobby. Even sleeping is ibadah as one commit no sin while sleeping.

31 July 2013: After subuh, it was Mekah excursion and miqat for second umrah. We started at Jabal Thur, Desert of Arafah, Jabal Rahmah, Jairanah and Jabal Nur. At Jairanah, we clad on our ihram and declared our intention for another umrah. Back in Mekah, I performed the umrah and completed just before zohor.

After asar, I accompanied Haji Ashim for shopping as he wanted to get a bigger luggage bag and for me, I got a kettle and a personalised kole.

For isyakh and terawih, I decided something different and I went to Masjidiharam roof top. Getting to the escalator was a problem, squeezing among the crowd but once I was at the rooftop there was ample space to perform solat isyakh and terawih. 

01 August 2013: Qiamulai back to the New Mosque.

After asar I visited Mobily Office to reactivate my hand phone account. I got myself two (2) jubah at the newly commissioned shopping complex behind Hotel Inter Continental. Being new, not many Jemaah know about the shopping complex.

For terawih I had a comfortable spot at the New Mosque.

02 August 2013: Friday night. Qiamulai as usual and extraordinarily crowded due to weekend in Saudi Arabia. Arabs, Bangladeshi, Pakistanis and others from the nearby town and cities flocked to Mekah during weekend. Ibadah at Masjidilharam is 100,000 times blessing by Allah compared to ordinary Mosque except Nabawi and Al Aqsa. All affordable sane Muslims will grab the opportunity.

Scene at Kaabah taken from the room TV.
Friday prayer was at Dataran, the Mosque was filled up to the brim. As early as 0900 hrs, jemaah had started streaming into the Mosque to find an empty and comfortable space.

At 1500 hrs, the sky suddenly opened and it started pouring heavily. It is not often Mekah gets rain. The Meccans came out to celebrate and they don’t mind being wet. Ibrahim Khalili Road, in front of the Hotel I stayed was flooded. The rain was exceptionally heavy and Jemaah got trapped in the Hotel unable to go to Masjidilharam for asar. I got myself soaked as I tried to leave the Hotel but retreated. The rain subsided late in the evening before iftar.




The Heavy Rain in Mekah.

Jemaah trapped in the Hotel.
After iftar I caught influenza and very bad running nose, probably due to soaking in the rain. It was during terawih that the Arab next to me absconded, fearing of my contagious influenza. I only performed ten (10) rakaat of terawih and retired to the Hotel. At the Hotel Room, Ustaz Mazlan saw my condition and he promised to get me the best medication for flu. Being a Medina resident for five (5) years, he had already familiarized the best antidote.

03 August 2013:  I did not go for the qiamulai due to my condition. Ustaz Mazlan brought back Flutab from the Pharmacy and warned me that I would be feeling dizzy and sleepy after consuming the tablets. I had two (2) tablets after sahur and after subuh, I hit the sack like a log.

Flutab, compliment from Ustaz Mazlan.
The Jemaah made a visit to Hubaidiyah but I remained in bed.

Up for zohor and my condition improved. I thanked Ustaz Mazlan for the assistance and on second thought Allah paved the way for Ustaz Mazlan rendered assistance when I once had assisted a Jemaah on some medication during my trip to Mekah in January 2013. Allah will bless and reciprocate when one had sincere intention. (See posting 07 February 2013 for events dated 29/30 January 2013).

After asar, I moved to an adjacent vacant room 1103, a two single bedded room and I shared the room with Haji Adnan, a local Mekah resident, Adden Travel local Assistant. I feel more comfortable in the new room set up as I had more space to myself. Haji Adnan was my roommate too during 2012 Ramadan and both of us are reciprocally comfortable with each other. This guy is from Patani Thailand and speaks Arabic. He speaks Malay with the Kelantanese accent; sometimes I had difficulty understanding the thick slang. Besides studying Islamic theology in Mekah, he also makes kopiah for a living.



My Room 1103.
Haji Adnan prayed in the Room.
For terawih, I and Haji Adnan went to the New Mosque. He is my comrade in arm, Navigator and my Bodyguard.





Inside the new Mosque.

04 August 2013: Qiamulai – I went alone as Haji Adnan went missing. Probably he was out doing some errands for the Muslimah Jemaaah.

After subuh, I was not feeling too well; coughing was developing and sore throat. I just rested in bed. No medication as I was fasting.

After asar, me and Haji Adnan went to Bangla Street and bought sugar cane juice for iftar. I was lacking on Vitamin C.

Tonight, Masjidilharam was exceptionally crowded as it was the Night of 27 Ramadan and the Arabs believe it was the Night of Lailatulqadar. Haji Adnan recommended that we should go early and we managed to find a place at the rear section New Mosque. Late comers would be barred from entering even to the Mosque compound. Security forces had their hands full and it was estimated 2 million Jemaah was at Masjidilharam on that particular night and I was one of the 2 million. What a great feeling!


After terawih.



Qiamulai at the Dataran (outside the Mosque).

05 August 2013: Qiamulai – I managed to find a place among the crowd at the Dataran beside InterContinental Hotel. The crowd overflowed after the 27 Ramadan terawih.

After zohor, Haji Adnan led me to the Money Exchange and had to do some shopping for my folks at home. My priority was Shasha apparels. I was going back in two (2) days time. Time really flies.

After asar, I went to D’Saji Restaurant, own by Felda and bought Malaysian Mee Goreng and Bubur Pulut Itam. Ustaz Mazlan was laughing when I jokingly told him I obtained them from my Muta’ah.

After Maghreeb, I lead Ustaz Mazlan to Saudi Air Office at Hilton Hotel Fourth Floor with the intention of getting pre flight boarding passes. We abandoned the idea due to overcrowding. For isyakh and terawih, Haji Adnan and I entered Gate 70 of Masjidilharam and this area was very cooling and comfortable.

06 August 2013: Did not go for qiamulai as I need to repack my luggage. I got a message from my niece, Alina Jamaluddin that my niece in Taiping, Che Wa had a stroke. Sad news and I specially doa for her fast recovery. Simultaneously I also doa for my sister in law who recently had a brain operation. Many doa also followed including the well being of my Mother at home and for family members.

During asar for a change, I went to the roof top. I never performed asar on the rooftop but today the weather was cloudy. The place was not crowded and I felt a slight drizzle but the rainfall was in Jeddah instead of Mekah. Since I was going back soon, I took some snaps of the Holy Kaabah from the rooftop.








Shots taken from Masjidilharam Roof top, after asar. 

Terawih – khatam Al Quaraan. The Imam recited the last juzuk of the Al Quraan during terawih and the subsequent doa was about thirty (30) minutes. Haji Adnan and I went a little bit late and we scrambled for a place for the isyakh and terawih. Finally we found at First floor of the New Mosque. It was very warm, like in an oven but we tolerated. The whole juzuk of the Al Quraan, thirty (30) in totals completed tonight. It was something that I had touched the finishing line.

07 August 2013: Last day in Mekah and last qiamulai and it was in Masjidilharam.

After subuh, (normally around 0420 hrs) back to the Hotel and waited until 0700 hrs to perform the widak. It took me fifty (50) minutes to complete the seven rounds of tawaf of the Kaabah during widak. Many Jemaah were leaving Mekah for home to celebrate Aidilfitri. My last doa – I requested Allah that this visit to Baitullah would not be the last, failing which I requested for Jannah (Allah Paradise).

During final evacuation of the room, my hand carry bag combination lock got jammed. Haji Adnan came to my rescue and he sorted out the problem. I reminded him to empty the room refrigerator and packed them off to his home base somewhere on the hilltop in Mekah.

We got all the jemaah luggage bags and zam zam canisters organized at the Hotel Lobby as the Bus would be arriving at 0900 hrs. Bidding farewell to Haji Adnan was not easy and we embraced each other hoping to meet sooner. He told me vide his Kelantanese slang, “Mu sampa Malaysia, mu call ambo deh”. I saw tears swelling in his eyes.

We left Mekah at 1000 hrs and headed straight for Jeddah King Abdul Aziz Airport. We would be flying out via SV 1024 domestic to Riyadh. Four (4) zam zam water canisters were rejected by Saudi Air and one of them was my extra canister. We pleaded but an Arab remain an Arab, making things difficult to other people is their hobby. Flight SV 1024 departed at 1800 hrs and we had iftar in flight just before landing at Riyadh. We landed at 1930 hrs and to connect SV 828 to KLIA at 2350 hrs.

At Riyadh King Khaled International Airport we were given special reception. The Jemaah was personally waited and ushered through Immigration to Terminal 2 for onward departure. Since we had ample time, we performed our solat and took our dinner. Some went for last minute shopping or window shopping at the Duty Free Shop. We boarded Flight SV 828 at 2330 hrs and took off at 2350 hrs. Surprisingly, the plane was full capacity with several Saudis intending to spend Aidilfitri in Malaysia. I talked to several of them and their destinations were Langkawi and Genting! Genting???

08 August 2013: News back home that Malaysia would be celebrating Aidilfitri today, so as Saudi Arabia.

It was a smooth flight and immediately after the first meal served I slept solid for three (3) continuous hours. I woke up somewhere above Andaman Sea. The flight was right on schedule and landed at KLIA at 1305 hrs Malaysia time. All luggage and zam zam water canisters arrived safely and no loss baggage.
I was waited by my wife and daughter and home sweet home at last at 1600 hrs.

Longing for lemang & ketupat back home.
Conclusion:

I was considered very lucky to obtain a visa. I know of friends who had their application rejected by the Saudis. The accommodation provided was satisfactory and the distance to Masjidilharam was considered very near, taking into account that several hundred Hotels had or under demolition. The food was Malaysian cooked. One has to accept with thanks what Allah had destined. Human planned but Allah destined. Thankful or bersyukur to Allah is convicted faith.

Insyaalah………Baitullah here I come again!!  

No comments: