Sunday, August 17, 2008

From Cambridge to Port Dickson.

I hitch hiked from Cambridge to Port Dickson. You better believe me.

After the Senior Cambridge in 1965, I was restless. No clue what I wanted to do next. You know why? I did poorly in my exam and I fully knew I was going to flunk. I had a fever in the midst of the Exam and I had my sweater on, addressing some of the Exam papers. One option, while waiting for the result in March or April the following year, was to become a Temporary Teacher. That did not sound interesting to me. I was not cut to be a Teacher. I was young, hot tempered and impatient.

One fine morning, 24 December, 1965 with RM 10.00 in my pocket, I decided to leave home, heading to my Aunt’s place in Telok Kemang. My destiny was uncertain. What if I did not get to Telok Kemang? Where was I going to put up the night? I was thinking, at the worst scenario, I would find a Mosque and seek shelter. I was determined. Since money in the pocket was limited, I decided to hitch hiked at certain route. I fully remember, from Tanjong Malim to Kuala Lumpur, I got a lift from a Radio Television Malaysia Van on its way back to Kuala Lumpur. The Driver was kind enough to drop me at Jalan Melaka Bus Stand for the Kuala Lumpur/ Seremban Bus. This was my first time I was in Kuala Lumpur alone. I took the bus to Seremban, and to Port Dickson. Where was Telok Kemang and where was my Aunt’s place? I only knew she was staying near a Malay Motorcar Repair Shop. I approached certain people and they directed me to the right bus. I kindly spoke to the bus driver to notify and dropped me at this Malay Workshop. As I lighted from the Bus, I saw my Aunt was sweeping the porch and what a surprise, I made it to Telok Kemang, at last, within one day with a balance of about RM 4.00 in the pocket. My Aunt and Uncle had a shocked of their lives.

The town that I passed through were Ipoh, Gopeng, Kampar, Tapah, Bidor, Sungkai, Slim River, Tanjong Malim, Serendah, Rawang, Kuala Lumpur, Kajang, Beranang, Seremban, Mambau, Lukut, Port Dickson and Telok Kemamg.

Telok Kemang is famous for its sandy white beaches and a weekend retreat for picnickers as far as Kuala Lumpur. Malaysians turn their ears to Telok Kemang every beginning of Ramadhan and Hari Raya. They sight the moon here. I was a stranger, in this strange place. I was the new kid in the block. I had to make new friends and this was difficult. I started by hanging around the sepak takraw court and I got invited to join them. I broke the ice and I was no more a stranger. They were eager to know, who I was, where I was from and why I came to this community. Knowing all my background, I was welcome to be part of their clique.

Few that I could remember was Ramzan, Yusof and Ishak., Ramzan was waiting for his Form 6 result, Yusuf, a beachcomber, likes fishing and Ishak was an Instrument Technician. Ramzan’s father was a retired high ranking Police Officer and the old man got along well with me and the clique. He subscribed the Straits Time newspaper and I read his leftover. He insisted that we converse with him in English. He owned a fishing boat and every morning I used to follow Ramzan to the beach to assess the boat’s catch.

Ishak was an Instrument Technician with Esso Oil Refinery in Port Dickson, seven miles away. His hands were very steady like a watch repair man. He could sit for hours handling any gadget that we asked him to repair. Knowing my educational background and coincide with ESSO employment requirement, he urged me to apply for a job at the Refiney where he was working.

When the Senior Cambridge result was announced, I passed but did not score as expected. No way for Sixth Form or Technical College. I decided to apply for a job in Esso and was successfully called for an interview. I cycled seven miles to face the interview panel. The two Engineers that interviewed me were Mr.Ho Min Khuang and Mr.Malhotra an Indian expatriate. Malhotra with his thick Indian slang asked me “Why du yu think, yu shud be cansidered in Esso?” I replied in my English slang, “Well Sir, I was educated in Technical Institute and to my knowledge, Technical Institute students are preferred”. After questions answers session and aptitude test, I was asked to wait for the outcome, perhaps in a week or two. Few days later, one fine evening, I was standing by the roadside, when a car stopped by me. Malhotra unwind the window and asked, “So…yu arrr staying here, young man?” I replied, “Yes sir,…sir, how about my interview?” I asked him. “Well…maybe one in two days time, yu will get de letter and yu gat de job”. Phew…what a relief, it was like striking a lottery and I was so happy grinning from ear to mouth. “Well young man, congratulation, I gat to go and I would not able to meet yu again as de next week, I yam going back to India for goed”. That was the last time I saw Malhotra.

One week later, I received the letter confirming the appointment as Process Assistant in Esso Malaysia Bhd, Port Dickson and to report on 2nd May 1966. My starting salary was, RM 205.00 per month. With that amount and date, my working career began. No looking back after that.

Coincidently, it was 2nd May 1974, I switched my career to Singapore but this time, I flew instead.






No comments: