Friday, August 22, 2008

GESB & KGB


When I arrived at Guthrie Export Sdn Bhd, Port Klang the construction of the new Palm Oil Terminal was 75% completed. My function now was to oversee the construction according to the plan. Any deviation, I had to report to Guthrie Management Services and they would take it up with Kumpulan Guthrie. I had to submit weekly and monthly progress report. It was a difficult task in some way or other. I had to handle the Contractor and the Client, Kumpulan Guthrie. The Contractor as usual would try to cut corner but I had to serve my Employer as well as the client. Most instances, I had to refer and leave it to my Client’s Project Engineer discretion. The construction dragged on exceeding my contractual period and I was requested to stay put. It was completed in early 1978 and was commissioned.

There was not much teething problem as the capacity was only 11,800 metric ton and there were only 7 storage tanks. Staff and workers training made simpler as majority of them had experienced working in Terminal operations. However, there was no crude palm oil to store. Export of crude palm oil fell short due to local consumption and Palm Oil Refineries was mushrooming. Alternatively, we rented and stored palm kernel oil for outsiders. At time, we also utilize the storage tank for blending purposes before delivering to the Palm Oil Refineries. Off specification oil could be made on specification by blending proportionately with good oil. We called it cocktail and I was the Master Blender. The Buyer could not complain as the deliveries were on spec. It was an achievement if the blended spec fell just on the border line. Looking back, sometimes, I smiled. Was I cheating? Nope, I don’t think so because the deliveries specification was as per contract.

In April 1979, I was absorbed into Kumpulan Guthrie Sdn Bhd. There was one lady Executive in Personnel who initially objected to my recruitment. I was not an Engineer or a graduate. However, the Marketing Director and another Executive in Personnel overruled her. Later, in March 1985 with the recommendation of the Distribution Manager and approved by the Executive Director Admin & Personnel, my services was backdated to 1st August 1977, the day I was seconded to Guthrie Export Sdn Bhd. I think I have proven of my capability and sincerity towards the Company.

I was appointed as Installation Executive, reporting to and assisting the Manager of GESB. In addition to the Palm Oil Installation, GESB also had a Latex Installation as well. Since latex operation was new to me, I had to understudy the operation. I was back on training ground, from the rubber tree, processing factories, transportation, storage and shipment. Latex operation was very much different from petroleum and crude palm oil. I was now, back to working at abnormal hours. Export shipment operation could be at any time and any day. I had to attend to this operation till completion.

One day after the King Birthday in 1981 both Latex and Palm Oil Installation suffered a complete shutdown. There was explosion in the Port area and metal splinters from oxyacetylene tanks broke through both Offices. Luckily it happened at 3 in the morning and the Port as well as the Installations was on port closed holiday. I was awakened by the Security Guard who cycled to my bungalow and shook my gate for my immediate attention. I had no house phone less hand phone then. Tuan, Tuan, Guthrie sudah habis. I was shocked when I arrived on site and more shocked when the daybreak, death occurred just at the fringe of the Palm Oil Installation. The town of Port Klang was in panic state like war zone, where rumors flying that the fire now closing to a Petroleum storage tank. As for GESB, the damage was only on the building and we resumed normal operation within 3 days.

On several occasions, I was the Acting Manager and finally on 1st January 1990, I was promoted to Managerial status but not the Manager of GESB. Sound peculiar? Yes, it was. That’s how the system worked.

Finally on 1st August 1990, I was transferred to the Head Office as Distribution Manager (Rubber & Latex) at the Marketing Division. The Distribution Manager, who was just retired was the last Mat Salleh in the Head Office. Initially, the position was for the Manager, GESB but he declined due to health reasons. There was no additional perk involved, as I was already on Managerial position. The advantages were, I now worked on 5 day week and able to rub shoulders with the higher hierarchy in the Head Office. I had to take up golf to entertain or to be entertained.

The Distribution Manager was the middleman between the Marketing personnel, Production personnel, Overseas Subsidiaries and Buyers. Marketing negotiated the sales and I have to plan with the processing factories, the quantity and grades of latex and rubber to produce for shipments or to the local Buyers. I have to coordinate with the Latex and Rubber Factories and once a month, I normally visit the Factory. I had 2 Executives and about 20 staff including the Penang Office. I was answerable to the Marketing Director. I commuted from Port Klang to the Head Office daily and I normally hit the road at 6.30 am to avoid the traffic jam. I finished work at 6 pm and while waiting for the traffic to clear, the Marketing chap normally got together for “short one” at the nearest joint. That was the time we met and socialize with other Traders from other plantation companies. From Monday to Friday, I normally did not see the sun in Port Klang. On Saturday was a golf day and Sunday was the only day for the family.

On 1st. May 1996, I was designated as Manager Distribution & Installation. I had to cover both the Distribution Department at Head Office and GESB Port Klang. I covered Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Head Office and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at GESB Port Klang. It was an additional responsibilities, surely went with additional remuneration. My base was Port Klang and I could claim mileage for trips to the Head Office. However, 6th January 1997, the Distribution Department changed hand to Controller Rubber Marketing and I was to solely responsible of GESB. I am now back to where I begun on 1st August 1997.

On 1st January 2000 I was promoted to Senior Manager. On 21st November 2000, I was shocked to receive the Notice Letter to retire on 17th December 2000. Normally the Notice of Retirement was 3 months. Since in October, I did not receive any notice, I presumed my service would be extended and moreover I had a verbal understanding with the Director Plantation, my Reporting Officer that my service would be extended for at least a year. My Assistant would then be capable enough to replace me. To my horror, he was sending an Estate Manager for my replacement. I wanted to retire earlier as I had my annual leave in lieu. My request was rejected and KGB was willing to pay me in lieu of the annual leave. I had to train the Estate Manager on the total aspect of operating both the Latex and Palm Oil Installation. It was a different ball game at all and was like putting a square peg in a round hole. I spent the whole month of December 2000 training him. Later, I found out that the Management wanted to penalize him but why I became the victim?

I could only officially retire from GESB on 31st December 2000 but KGB was still paying me for January 2001 (That was my annual leave pay).

It was indeed a sad ending but never mind; all good things must come to an end. A gratitude to KGB however, I saw the WORLD.

Note: As at 2007 – GESB had closed shop. The Latex Installation was sold and the complex completely flattened. The Palm Oil Installation returned to Lembaga Pelabuhan Klang and now owned by Socfin. The sweet memories of John Duncan, Jack Mantell, Goh Kee Soon and me especially, now gone.

No comments: