Saturday, December 18, 2010

A very long evening.

17 December 2010 - my 65th Birthday. At 1730 hrs the weather looked gloomy. Dark cloud hanging over and rain was expected to pour at anytime. My wife and I had planned to meet Haji Farid and Hajjah at Damansara Heights, KL. I quickly got myself attired with the complete set of Baju Melayu and left the house at about 1800 hrs.

Took the NKVE Highway and as soon as I passed the Sungai Rasah toll gate it started to drizzle and traffic coming from KL had their lights on. That indicated KL was having a heavy downpour. I got smacked into a traffic snarl bumper to bumper from Bukit Cheraka Agricultural Park all the way to the Damansara exit. The exits and intersections of Bukit Jelutong, Subang and Damansara abrupted the highway smooth flow. The rain became heavier. I stopped at the NKVE Petronas to refuel in anticipation for the traffic jam ahead. Decided to take the long route, vide Bukit Lanjan and exiting at Jalan Duta toll to get to Damansara Heights, avoiding the jam.

Haji Farid was waiting for our arrival and at 1930 hrs we immediately left for Jalan Maktab off Jalan Gurney destined for Felda Dewan Perdana. We arrived late at about 2030 hrs and fortunately the reception yet to begin. Haji Nageeb and Hajjah Zaiton were there to welcome us. It was the matrimonial reception of Najihah Nageeb and Megat Danish. In the meantime it was still drizzling outside the Hall and guest still streaming in.

We joined the same table with Puan Shamem Jalil ex Guthrie PRO and her family. The table allocated mainly for friends. The spare two seats were taken by Haji Tarmizi and wife, another close buddy and my ex golfing partner. Looking around the tables, I went to greet Christie Roberts, Yeo Siow Poh, Harchan Mohd Reza, Rahim Hassan, Haji Abu Hanipah, Haji Zakaria Osman, Aminah Wahid, Hajjah Juanita Khir Johari, Haji Zainal Ahmad, Shameem Jalil and a few others whose names I had forgotten. Those were the invitees from the defunct Kumpulan Guthrie. I also met those who are serving Sime Darby, Azlan, Haji Mahmud, Mohamad Koda, Khairul Anwar, Mohd Alwi and a few whose names I had also forgotten. I retired ten (10) years ago. On the way out, I met Dato Mustaffa Ali and Rosli Ujang.

The reception was grand with all the VIPs from Sime Darby, family members, golfing kakis, business associates and Haji Nageeb’s ex Kumpulan Guthrie close colleagues. It was the first time at a Malay wedding reception that the “Doa Selamat” was recited in English for the benefit of the Non Muslims. The food was served by the famous Felda “De Saji” Catering Services. Though it was held on a Friday evening, the invitees managed to make their way into the Hall barring the rain and the aftermath of traffic jam.

After the cake cutting ceremony, it was all over. We all drove back to Bukit Damansara for a nightcap and the recapping of Tuan Haji Farid adventurous Hajj rituals. I collected my “habatus saudah” honey and the small gift they brought from Mekah. I was happy that the tips given prior to his Hajj proven useful. Haji Farid told me that the demolition of the Royal Palace complex is in the master plan to make way for the Masjidilharam expansion. Alhamdullillah, if it materializes then more pilgrims can pray inside Masjidiharam. During the last Ramadan I had to be exceptionally early to get a place inside the Mosque. The present space within Masjidilharam just could not sustain the Pilgrims. Just ask anybody who had perform the Hajj or the Ramadan umrah they will relate what it is like just to occupy a small space inside the Mosque. Patience is the call of the day otherwise you may either get a cardiac arrest or land in Saudi Jail for assaulting.

The long tell tale could last till morning and it was closed to 0100 hrs that we had to excuse ourselves. We finally touched base at 0200 hrs accompanied by the drizzle all the way from Bukit Damansara to Port Klang. I presume the weather must be very conducive to the newly wed.

It was a very long evening until the next day early morning. I had no time to blow any candles this time around but I received several well wishers through handshakes, email and face book.

No comments: