Friday, February 10, 2012

Mat Munir in memory.

I was approached by Haji Azhar Abdul my Mosque mate before Maghreb prayer that my good friend in Johor Baharu, Ahmad Munir had passed away last Friday 03 February 2012 at Sultan Aminah Hospital JB around noon. The news came to me about a week later. I met his wife recently who told me that Mat Munir was critically ill and hospitalized. I was sad of his demise as due to my poor health condition I was incapable of travelling down south to JB to visit him being hospitalized.

Mat Munir and Tuan Syed Idrus (who also had passed away) was the Proprietor of Shipping Company, Sri Overa Shipping Sdn Bhd operated as Shipping Agencies at the new Port in Pasir Gudang, Johor. They were one of the Pioneers Shipping Agents when Pasir Gudang Port was commissioned early 1975. Sad to say, the Shipping Company had since defunct.

I came to know Mat Munir personally when his Company acted as Shipping Agencies for several Shipping Lines, especially Foreign Going Tankers plying crude palm oil to various ports of the world. As I was the Superintendant and later the Bulking Installation Assistant Manager, we got acquainted and still maintain the friendship even though I was transferred to Port Klang from Pasir Gudang in 1977. He tried to set up a Transport & Shipping Company at Port Klang around the 80s but somehow it did not worked and later closed shop. At Klang he operated a Food Stall at the top floor MPK Mall in front of the former Klang Main Bus Terminal.

Late Mat Munir maintained a second home in Port Klang but off late I did not see him around and was told he was hospitalized in JB. I remember he introduced me to a traditional Masseur in Pandamaran when I had a mild stroke in 2003. The Masseur did an excellent physiotherapy on me and up to date I still patronize the Masseur service. Mat Munir played a part for my recovery.

During my tenure in Pasir Gudang late 1974 – 1977, I used to spend the free Sunday (if there was no shipment or not back to my family in Port Dickson) with him in Johor Baharu town and sometimes we drove to Singapore just for lunch at Geylang. We were often together with late Syed Idrus at Johore Sports Club, The Coves and Orchid Hotel Coffee House. I still harbor the fond memories the things we did together and it will be forever remembered. Coincidentally Mat Munir was also my wife’s sister law’s brother good friend when they served together in the Police Force.

The first buddy I lost in 2012 and I pray (doa) that he will be in the safe hand with Almighty Allah and may Allah bless his soul and gather among the “mukminin”.

All good things will someday come to an end and only Allah knows when our time is up.

Al – fatihah………….

No comments: