Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hari Raya.

Several histories created on 2009 Hari Raya. During the Solat Sunat Aidilfitri, the Nazir was booed in the Mosque and his speech was cut short. I stayed put in Port Klang and not moving anywhere during the Hari Raya period. I slept on Hari Raya day.

First Day: Well attired with Baju Melayu and sampin for the Solat Sunat Aidilfitri at Kampong Raja Uda Mosque. Greeted by some friends and they were surprised I was already back from the Holy Land and in time to join them for the prayer. I took my usual place at the first saf right at the right hand corner. Surprisingly my usual place was not taken by anyone as if they knew that I would be back. After the takbir, the Mosque Secretary took the microphone and welcomed the big congregation. It was informed that the Ketua Kampong was unable to attend due to poor health condition. Next the Nazir took the stand and his speech was interrupted and asked to take his seat. He was booed out. His remark was uncalled for when he pleaded in public to the former Nazir (who was among the jemaah) not to be “angkuh” and “bongkak” for not handing over to the Mosque Committee the affairs of the New Mosque. The Nazir declared that the Mosque Committee is the legal custodian of the new Mosque affairs. He fails to realize that the Mosque and the New Mosque are two separate entities all together. The situation was chaotic and some Jemaah was booing and demanded the Nazir to end his speech. YB Badrul intervened, stood up and stopped the Nazir’s speech and requested him to be seated. History created and it never happened before in Kampong Raja Uda Mosque or at any Mosque before. What a shame and the biggest blunder the Nazir had made. No wonder, the Ketua Kampong declared that he was invalid. The Secretary’s face turned white not expecting the jemaah’s reaction. They under estimated the situation. They thought that the jemaah was on their side. During this Solat Sunat Aidilfitri, the jemaah was mostly made up of the Kampong sons and daughters who returned to the Kampong for Hari Raya. They surely upset with the situation as both the Nazir and the Secretary are not sons of the Kampong whereas the former Nazir is. Honestly, if I were the Nazir, I do not know where to put my face. His credibility completely downs the drain and surely he is no more suitable to be the Nazir. Why in the world he uttered such remarks in a Mosque on Hari Raya day?? He must be nut. On Aidilfitri day, is when we seek forgiveness from each other and not the day to offend anyone. Some Jemaah commented that was the implication of swearing in the Mosque.

Imam Jaafar Hj Sirat, Imam No 1 conducted the solat sunat Aidilfitri even though the Nazir had planned to use Haji abdullah Fatani to be the Imam. It was good that Haji Abdullah Fatani did not turn up.

After the khutbah it was followed with “jamuan”, something new introduced by the Mosque Committee but the reception was poor. On Hari Raya day, soon after the prayer all the jemaah would normally rush home to meet family members and feast together. This is where again; the Mosque Committee never rationalizes of holding one. On Hari Raya day, there is plentiful of food at every house. Maybe it was only good for the Bangladeshis and other Muslim foreign workers.

My first guest was Malik Ahmad, my good friend and he came to collect his slippers that I bought for him in Mecca. He related to me all the tales happening at the Mosque during my 28 days absence.

In the afternoon, I spent my time in bed catching up with my sleep and the jet lag. I did not expect any guests as everybody would be busy with their family reunion.

After Isyakh, three (3) of my good kampong buddies came to the house. Murad, Wan Zainal and Pak Long Mustafa. We were discussing about the morning fiasco at the Mosque. Murad was telling me how the Nazir had embarrassed Imam No 1 during one Maghreb prayer. The Nazir requested Imam No 1 to hand over the microphone to the Timbalan Nazir to conduct the Maghreb prayer. So….the morning fiasco is norm to the Nazir. Embarrassing someone is common to him. Allah is great and the Nazir himself was embarrassed in public in a Mosque in front of about 1000 Jemaah. Does he feel embarrassed?? I don’t think so for my past experience knowing him, he does not know the word shame (malu). Treasurer of the Kampong Khairat Kematian who failed to produce six years accounting statements, swore in the Mosque that he had handed RM 17,000 to a deceased Treasurer of the Saham Wakaf and took away the Van Jenazah from the Kampong Saham Wakaf Chairman. If I were him I would leave the Kampong and live in Ulu Bendul where nobody knows my pasts.

When they went home, I tuned to 812 to see the update of the EPL and glad that MU won 4-3 against its closest rival Manchester City.

The rest of the night I was blinking at the ceiling as I had overdosed during the day.

Second Day: I hit the sack soon after subuh and up and about at zohor. The first guest was a few children who were more interested with “duit raya”.

As we were expecting a few visitors during the afternoon, my wife prepared “kuah lontong” as we have plenty of cooked “nasi himpit”.

Just after zohor, my wife’s elder sister with her son dropped by.

Later, Zaaba with his wife and Nasir with his family came by. Late in the evening, my brother Amran, his wife, Izzat and his granddaughter four year old Amirah came by. Cheeky Amirah made us laughing as she speaks in Indonesian slang adapted from the Indonesian Maid. They left after Maghreb.

The last guest was my wife youngest brother with his wife and they stayed up until midnight.

The common topic of the day was about Medina and Mecca and I related to them how I spent my busy daily schedules.

Third Day: I am not taking any phone calls or responding to any short messages services (sms).

Sabirin who had just came back from Kodiang Kedah and Raja Sahar came to the house just before zohor. Again, the topic was the Nazir debacle in the Mosque during Solat Sunat Aidilfitri. Raja Sahar was telling me that most people whom he met had negative impression of the Nazir and want him removed.

After zohor, the house broke loose. Shasha, Awis, Adhar and Kak Ein came with their parents. The laughter of children is the best music to my ears and little Shasha who is most familiar with the house acted as the Chief. All my small wooden cars came down and Awis love the staircase and the miniature motorbikes.

At night before Isyakh, my good old buddy, Wak Salim accompanied by Izhar came by. They were disappointed that I did not announce my arrival home as they planned to perform the takbir during Aidilfitri night. I told them I was damn exhausted of the flight and my wife was busy preparing for the Adilifitri dishes.

Later Ajam called for night cap somewhere in town but I had to turn him down as I was damn sleepy. My sleepy eyes are still hay wire and need adjustment to local time zone. In the Holy Land I normally sleep during the day and stayed awake at night.

Fourth Day: Expecting a few guests from ex colleague in Guthrie.









For the very first time, I spent the Hari Raya at home and I think it was not that bad after all. The road is too dangerous nowadays and staying at home is the best where I have my usual bed at my immediate disposal in case I need to take forty winks.

No comments: