Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ramadan Umrah 2009.

PART 1

Bismillah hir rohman nir rahim. (In the name of Allah, the merciful).

It is about a journey of a simple man seeking peace with Allah and to himself. He ventured alone to the Desert of the Anbiyas to perform the Ramadan umrah.

22 August 2009: Left KLIA vides Gulf Air GF 281 at 1130 hours for Bahrain and landed at 1340 hours local time. Since it was the first day of fasting month, nothing much to do except window shopping at the Duty Free Shop. The connecting flight to Jeddah GF 0173 tentatively at 1620 hours but was delayed to 1900 hours. The call of the Maghreb azan was at 1800 hours and I scrambled for mineral water and some tit bits to break my fast. When I boarded the plane disappointingly someone had occupied my seat and I was ushered to the rear. Later someone claimed the seat and I was furious with the Air Stewardess for relocating me. Gosh, I said to myself, I am going to have a bad start. I was finally allocated to a vacant seat. The problem was, some elderly Indian Pilgrims simply sat where they like ignoring the allocated seat number. Everything went hay wire.

Arrived Jeddah Airport at about 2130 hours and the Immigration formalities was crazy. All the ten finger prints were scanned and photograph taken. To make matters worse, the Immigration Officials were fond of kissing cheek with each other in the form of their greetings. Each passenger took about 10 to 15 minutes each for the scanning procedure. By the time I got to the luggage conveyor system, the entire luggage had been taken off from the system and I got to hunt for my bags.

It was about midnight that I managed to congregate at the arrival mezzanine and was apprehended by some Arab personnel, the Muasasah Officials requesting for my Passport. My group comprised of ten male and ten females. Meanwhile, we took time off to pray at the Airport Surau. We loaded our luggage into the bus but could not proceed with the journey to Medina as our Passports were still with the Muasasah Officials.

23 August 2009: At 0400 hours our Passports was still under custody and we had to find a Restaurant for sahor. We found one near a Mosque and after sahor we joined the local for subuh prayer. We were given permission to proceed to Medina even though five (5) Passports could not be traced.

Arrived at Medina about 0900 hours and checked into Gawaharat Favrouz Hotel Room 204. I immediately took my shower and headed for the Prophet Mosque. I visited the Holy Prophet’s Shrine and entered the Raudah to perform the sunat prayer. It was nice to be back at this Mosque and I solemnly said my prayers. I thanked the Almighty Allah for being able to visit this Mosque again. I felt I was very near to the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and how fortunate I was to perform what others were unable.

After asar, I was surprised there was a heavy down pour; most unlikely it would happen in Medina. Everybody including the Arabs was excited. Medina greeted me with flowing tears as I normally do whenever I visited the Holy Shrine. For this trip I exceptionally shed plenty of tears and I nearly cancelled my trip at the very last minute. I left to Almighty Allah to determine my fate and hopefully Allah would bless the journey that I pursued. Only Allah knows what was in my heart then. Before flying off, I was contemplating whether to proceed with my trip or otherwise for reasons only known to me and my family. Never mind, I said to myself. Allah would take care of me if my “nawaitu” is really sincere. At Raudah, I spent sometimes seeking from Allah the truth and the “sirotulmustakim” (the right path). I confided with Allah that thee had come to surrender and seek His guidance.

Breaking fast at the Holy Prophet Mosque was a pride. The Malaysian Pilgrims especially, were treated as VIP guests. We were greeted at the doorway and shown to the spread of dates, laban, bread and zam zam water.

I performed only ten out of the twenty rakaat of terawikh as I was damn tired. As I came out from the Mosque there was a loud thunder followed with the second session of rainfall. I walked in the rain to the Hotel for dinner.

During dinner, I met Andy Yusuf, my sister in law nephew. I was glad to see a young man performing the Ramadan Umrah. Initially I did not recognize him but he mentioned to me that he is Yusof Nor’s son. I was proud that he introduced me to his friends as his uncle.

24 August 2009: The morning program was to visit the Quba Mosque, Qiblatin Mosque, Dates Orchard, Jabal Uhud and the Dates Market. All these places are very familiar that I often visited but the most important is the Quba Mosque. Took the abolition from the Hotel, performed two rakaat sunat prayer at the Mosque is equivalent of performing one umrah. Quba Mosque is the first Mosque that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) built when the Holiness arrived from Mecca during the hijrah.

I bought some dates at the Date Market. Again during asar, rain began to fall and it continued right to Maghreb. It was drizzling when I walked to the Mosque for breaking my fast. Alhamdullilah………….even Medina shared my sorrow.

I completed the twenty rakaat terawikh.

25 August 2009: Immediately after subuh, I performed the widak (last visit to the Holy Shrine). My doa was to be able to come again at a later time. I have been around the world but the most beautiful place in the world is the Holy Prophet Mosque – Masjid Nabawi.

Back at the Hotel, I put on my ihram and we were heading for Mecca, about 470 kilometers away. About 10 kilometers out of Medina, we stopped at Bir Ali Mosque for solat sunat and niat (intention) to perform an umrah.

Arrived in Mecca about noon and checked into Royal Sultan Hotel Room 907. I was unhappy with the room as it was too small for five occupants. However I would sort the matter later after completion of my umrah.

My roommates were Haji Nor, Haji Bakir, Haji Muda Saleh and Haji Amri. Haji Amri being the youngest at 26 years of age and the rest are all above 55. I was the eldest at 63+.

I did my zohor prayer in the room and immediately headed for Masjidil Haram for umrah. As I was walking beside Safwah Hotel, I heard familiar voice of solat solat solat. It was my Yemenese friend Abdillah who operates a Date Shop at Safwah Hotel. We greeted each other and he was glad to see me again during this 2009 Ramadan. I befriended Abdillah since 2006 Ramadan.

I completed my first umrah and headed back to the Hotel. I conferred with Hj Baqee, an Andalusia Travel & Tour Coordinator and complained to him about the small room. He understood my predicament and promised to relocate us to Room 410 the following day when it fell vacant. I thanked him and we shook hands an indication that both parties agreed.

I completed only ten out of the twenty terawikh as I was very tired from performing the umrah at mid day.

26 August 2009: After subuh, I went to look for Tuan Hj Faharudin and his wife Hajah Rogayah who was staying at a Hotel somewhere behind Hotel Hilton. I finally found them and handed the goodies my wife requested to extend to them. The elderly couple was my Mecca neighbor during the 2008 Ramadan umrah and they were glad to see me.

After zohor, disappointingly Room 410 was allocated to Hj Bakir’s wife and gang. They were occupying Room 810 and wanted a lower floor room. I was initially upset as Hj Baqee had agreed yesterday to allocate Room 410 to me. Alternatively I was given Room 810 and we accepted. We were all now settled in Room 810 for the rest of our stay in Mecca.

The main entrance to Masjidil Haram from the Hotel was Gate No 1, King Abdul Aziz Gate and I prefer to take the staircase to the first floor. I had to walk along Ajyad Road to the Mosque. The distance is about 600 meters. The nearest praying area in the Mosque was very spacious.

I completed the twenty rakaat terawikh.

27 August 2009: After subuh, the bus took us to the Plain of Arafat. I mounted Jabal Rahmah and said my silent doa. Jabal Rahmah is the spot where Adam and Eve got together after they were banished from Heaven by Allah. Adam was banished to Sri Lanka and Eve was somewhere in the Arab Peninsula. They finally met at this Mount where Adam was frantically looking for Eve.

For a while I was panic. I could not find the bus and I was frantically looking for it, just like Adam frantically looking for Eve. Finally I found the bus and I was upset with Hj Muda who saw me from the bus but failed to wave me on.

The next stop was Jairanah Mosque and I put on my ihram. After the sunat ihram prayer I said my niat for an umrah. Arrived in Mecca, I performed the umrah rituals and completed at 1215 hours. This umrah was dedicated to my late father, Haji Abdul Hamid bin Abdullah.

I completed the twenty rakaat terawikh and later met Hj Baqee and Hj Abu of Andalusia Travel to thank them about the allocation to Room 810.

28 August 2009: After subuh the bus took us to Tanaim for miqat and this time the umrah was for my maternal Grandfather, Shaari bin Salam.

Haji Bakir and I performed the Friday prayer in Safwah Tower as we were already late after the umrah and Masjidil Haram was overflowing.

After asar, I attended the tazkirah by Dato Daud Che Ngah.

I completed the twenty rakaat terawikh.

29 August 2009: After subuh I went to miqat at Tanaim and the umrah was for my personal self. I completed the umrah rituals at 0930 hours.

Send ihram and other soil clothing for laundry.

I completed the twenty rakaat terawikh.

30 August 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my maternal Grandmother, Hajah Robimah bte Mohd Hanafiah.

I broke fast in the room as I was so tired.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh. Hj Muda and Amri brought back chicken briyani rice and we feasted at the Dining Hall.

31 August 2009: Back from subuh I got a message from Charlie Ng, informing me my former Assistant, Patrick Tan had passed away. I send my condolence message to Patrick’s wife back home.

I did not go for umrah today as I need a break. I felt stressful and having bad dreams lately. I had very little sleep lately.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

01 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim for miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late father in law, Abdul Rahman bin Ali.

After asar I went shopping and bought a small kettle and a water heater. Everyone could now prepare hot drinks right inside the room.

I began to cough and after Maghreb, Hj Bakir gave me some tablets. The medication made me dizzy and I could only complete sixteen rakaat out of twenty of the terawikh.

Later at night, Atan came to my room and he gave me a good rub on my weary leg muscles.

02 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim for miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late mother in law, Mariam binti Haji Tahir.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh. I decided to drop by to know the well beings of Hj Faharudin and his wife at their Hotel. Hajah Rogayah was kind enough to buy a gift for my wife and I received it with thanks.

Later I sent a short message to Hj Faharudin son informing him that his parents were in good health. Hj Faharudin handphone service was poor as their room was right behind a tall building and the transmission signal practically block.

03 September 2009: I took the cab to Tanaim to do my miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late Uncle, Hj Khusari Ghazali who passed away a day before I left for the Holy Land.

After zohor, I replenished the refrigerator with fruit juices. In the evening I had a stomach cramp and I broke fast in the room.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

04 September 2009: It was Friday and Mecca was packed with Pilgrims. Since the Mosque was overcrowded it was very difficult to perform an umrah. I went to the Mosque very early for Friday prayers otherwise there would be no space available.

After asar, I walked to the 2008 Ramadan umrah Hotel, Zahrat Kamil at Misfalah area but disappointingly my Bangladeshi friends, Makbul and Salleh was no more employed at the Hotel. I wanted to meet them as they were very helpful when I stayed there last year.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawkh and later, Atan came by to my room to give me a good rub. The body was aching all over.

05 September 2009: All the five of us in the room woke up late for sahor. We had only fifteen minutes to spare and everybody was scrambling for whatever dates available in the refrigerator.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my paternal grandfather, Abdullah bin Kanda Abdul Rahman.

On the way back I stopped at the Grocery Store and bought some eggs and indomee. Later after the terawikh, Hj Bakir applied his cooking skill and we enjoyed indomee soup for a change.
I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

No comments: