Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ramadan Umrah 2009.

PART 11

06 September 2009: I was fast asleep at three in the morning when Hj Muda came back to the room with packets of chicken briyani. The lights were switched on and awakened me from my deep slumber. I was very upset that he was lacking consideration for others. I need a good sleep as my daily routine was performing the umrah unlike him who at these early stages spending his time “iktikaf” at the Mosque. His intention was good anyway, bringing back the chicken briyani but the announcement of his arrival had disturbed me.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my paternal Grandmother, Teh Non binti Busu Latiff.

At zohor, I overslept being so tired after the umrah and I performed the zohor prayer in the room.

In the evening the ihram returned by the laundry was not mine and I returned it to Hj Nik but the one with Hj Nik was not mine either. The Hotel Laundry made a total mess. I landed with someone else’s sets of ihram. I could not trace the where about of mine.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

07 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my sister in law husband, Hj Saleh bin Ibrahim who passed away about three months ago.

After zohor, I gave Hj Amri a piece of my mind. Being young at 26 years of age, he got a long way more to go in life. I have noticed lately that his communication and association with the elders were poor. He addressed me as “hang” (you) in Northern Malay slang. That was very disrespectful to a 63 year old man. I have a 34 year old son who has more etiquette. He walked around in short in the room, with his “aurat” exposed. He stubbornly wanted the air condition to be always on high fan mode when the rest four of us were freezing cold. He should understand our metabolism is weaker than his. Walking by the elders, was just breezing through which is non customary to Malay custom.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

08 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my brother in law, Samad@Radzi bin Abdul Rahman who passed away many years ago.

I did my zohor prayer in the room as I was so exhausted to go to the Mosque. When Hj Amri came back to the room, I was alone in the room; he just walked in without the normal greetings of “asalamualaikum”. It proven that this guy is actually a “small boy”. The air condition fan was switched on to high mode and I could not stay in the room to have my afternoon nap. I went down to the lobby to have a warmer atmosphere at the same time I was observing the incoming newly arrived Pilgrims from Medina.

After asar, I went to Hilton Hotel and bought several donuts.

After terawikh I went alone to De Saji, Felda Restaurant at Safwah Tower and ordered “nasi goreng”. It cost me 20 Saudi Riyals. The rendang was delicious and I brought back some for Hj Bakir.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

09 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my maternal Grand aunty, Itam Rahimah binti Mohd Hanafiah.

My teeth were aching and I could not consume any medication as I was fasting. I resorted to liquid for gargling to kill any germ or virus. I suspected the freezing cold had affected my gum.

After zohor I went to Abeer Garden Hotel to meet Hj Adenan my neighbor back home, who had just arrived from Medina.

I broke fast in the room as my teeth were still troubling me and I wanted to consume medicines immediately after breaking fast.

After terawikh, Hj Bakir and I went to see Hj Adenan at Abeer Garden Hotel to collect our dates which Hj Adenan bought in Medina. We got together and had drinks and getting the latest news back home from Hj Adenan. Hj Adenan was my roommate during the 2008 Ramadan umrah.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

10 September 2009: After subuh I went to Tanaim to miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late brother, Saleh bin Abdul Hamid who passed away last year.

After zohor I went again to Abeer Garden Hotel to collect some books from Hj Adenan. I stayed back in Hj Adenan room, took a nap and proceeded for asar from thereon.

After terawikh while sitting at the lobby, I befriended Hj Mazlin, Hj Mazlan and Hj Nasir who were all from Penang. Hj Mazlin was the 1980 batch of TI Penang, the same school that I went to. We talked about the school.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

11 September 2009: Tahajud started and I performed only four rakaat at King Aziz underground. Before tahajud there was a solat jenazah and I thought the tahajud had started. I wonder why there were four takbirs before the tahajud. Realising the misque, I smiled to myself.
It’s Friday and I did not do any umrah. I spent the morning washing the ihram which could save me 10 Saudi Riyals if I send them to the Laundry. Friday prayer – started by going to King Aziz underground but I had to abandon the place as it was too warm and stuffy due to the overcrowding. I finally landed at the frontage of Safwah Tower Complex.

For the very first time, I went to the roof top to break my fast and continued with my Maghreb prayer. That was the first and the last I went to the rooftop.

During terwikh at rakaat 9 – 14, surah Yasin was recited and I was fortunate to be at the 3rd saf and able to see the Kaabah while praying.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

12 September 2009: Completed only six rakaat of tahajud at King Aziz underground.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to do miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late step mother in law, Rogayah binti Tahir.

I could not tolerate the freezing cold anymore. I plastered the air condition fan switch only able to operate on low mode. This would prevent who else? from putting the fan mode to High. Apparently, Hj Bakir agreed as he too could not withstand the cold.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

13 September 2009: Tahajud – I did not perform.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to do miqat and this time the umrah dedicated to my late paternal Great Grandfather, Kanda Abdul Rahman bin Imam Todek.

After zohor I caught up with Hj Adenan at Hilton Hotel and we went shopping. I bumped into Dato Yaacob Hussein, my working mate at Esso PD. Last year Ramadan umrah I met him at Jabal Uhud in Medina.

After getting some clothing for Shasha and Darwis (Hj Adenan children) both of us decided to visit Hj Faharudin. The couple was glad to see us and it’s now more convenient for Hj Adenan who was staying nearby to drop by once in a while to check on the elderly couple well being.

I went back to Hj Adenan room and took a nap. Both of us overslept during asar and we prayed in the room.

We decided to break our fast at the Mosque Dataran. Here, all sorts of food are allowed and we brought “murtabak” to break our fast. It was really happening at the Dataran with Pilgrims exchanging various foods with each other. It was the first time I broke my fast at the Dataran.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

14 September 2009: Tahajud – Four rakaat at King Aziz underground.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to do miqat and this time the umrah was dedicated to my late step mother, Hajah Bee binti Adam.

In the afternoon I realized my both eyes were red and I confined myself to the room. I was scared it could be sore eyes and contagious. I performed zohor prayer in the room. Somehow, Hj Bakir’s wife had brought along some good eye drop and the application was very effective. By evening it was back to normal.

In the meantime, Hj Muda was coughing badly and having very bad sore throat. I offered Hj Muda to take on the medication that I bought for gargling to ease his throat. I had also noticed someone blatantly in spite of the plaster, put on the air condition fan switch to medium mode. I got fed up and lowered it to low. People are getting sick and someone in the room has no brain. At that point of time, I was still controlling my patient.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh and on the way back I stop by at Abdillah’s shop to buy some dates and sweets.

15 September 2009: Tahajud – four rakaat at King Aziz underground.

After subuh I went to Tanaim to do miqat and this time the umrah dedicated to my late Uncle, Mohd Ramli bin Mat Serah. This would be my last umrah for 2009 Ramadan. On the way back I decided to abandon the Van and took the bus instead. The young Arab Van Driver was reckless and drove like crazy. Not to endanger my life, I paid the Arab the full fare and asked him to kill someone else.

After asar, I went out shopping for souvenirs and the stuff that my wife requested.

I completed twenty rakaat of terawikh.

16 September 2009: Tahajud – Did not perform.

After subuh I shop for perfumes. My Mosque buddy, Captain Fauzi had requested for a bottle of “kasturi”. I did not choose Hilton as it would be damn expensive. I just went to the Bazaar; the “kasturi” is the same anyway.

Tonight would be the 27 Ramadan nights and to the Arabs, the night was Night of Lailatulqadar, the Night of 1000 Months. Mecca was packed full. It was estimated about 2.5 million Pilgrims gathered at Masjidil Haram. I went to the Mosque exceptionally early for terawikh and I had no problem with space. I completed the twenty rakaat. Last year I did only ten as it was too crowded. Alhamdullillah, this time all went well.

After terawikh I went to De Saji and ordered a 10 Saudi Riyal “mee goring”. The taste was acceptable. I had an invitation for “nasi briyani kambing” somewhere out of town but I rejected because I do not fancy mutton. Hj Bakir, Hj Muda and Hj Amri went. When I came back to the room they were still out feasting.

17 September 2009: Tahajud – the continuation of the 27 Ramadan night of Lailatulqadar to the Arabs. The Mosque was packed. I decided to go underground but I saw Pilgrims coming out sweating. I decided not to enter the underground. Along the road, Pilgrims were praying and I spread my praying mat and joined them as well. I did not perform the “witir” but I could not go back to the Hotel as the road leading to the Hotel was filled with Pilgrims. I stopped by at the coffee kiosk and enjoyed myself with a cup of hot copichino. When I entered the room, the three Hajis who went for the “nasi briyani kambing” was in bed.

During subuh, the crowd was still there and I could not enter the Mosque. I prayed under the Ramp to King Aziz First Floor.

Before zohor I went to Zam zam Tower shopping Complex and bought two Koraan for waqaf in Masjidil Haram on behalf of my late Father and uncle Khusairi. After zohor I met up with Hj Adenan and we went shopping at Safwah Tower.

After asar, I lead Hj Mazlan and Hj Mazlin to the Masfalah Market. After getting what they wanted, somehow I lost both of them in the crowd. We make our own separate way back to the Hotel but both of them were having problem as they were not familiar with the area. I met them at the lobby after Maghreb and we were laughing about the misadventure.

I completed only ten rakaat of terawikh and this would be the last terawikh for 2009 Ramadan umrah. After the terawikh, Hj Nasir, Hj Mazlan, Hj Mazlin, Hj Bakir and I met at De Saji Restaurant to have a drink. We then went for last minute shopping as the following morning all of us would be heading for home. I went to Abdillah Shop and bid farewell to him. See you next Ramadan, my friend. Insyaalah.

Back in the Room, packing all the stuff and sealing the zam zam water canister.

18 September 2009: LAST DAY IN MECCA.
Tahajud – I did not perform due to excitement of going home.

At subuh, I decided to pray at King Aziz underground as it would be easier for me to enter Dataran Kaabah after the prayer. I performed the “widak” immediately after subuh and the crowd was extraordinary large. It was Friday morning and lot of Pilgrims doing the tawaf sunat. It took me forty five minutes to complete the seven rounds of the Kaabah.

I missed the “Malam Khatam Koraan” as it was going to be tonight and I was heading home.
I recited my last doa and seek from Allah that this would not be the last time that I am to be present at the Kaabah. I seek for Paradise if I fail to turn up at Kaabah again.

I had to overcome the huge crowd to exit from Dataran Kaabah. I looked at the Kaabah for the last time hoping that 2010 Ramadan umrah, I would be present again. I thank Allah for all well with good health and no obstacles while performing the Ramadan umrah during my 28 days stay at the Holy Land. I succeeded on doing 18 umrahs in total.

I took a slow walk back to the Hotel, sweating all over.

All set, all luggage in the bus and we left Mecca at 0815 hours. In Jeddah the bus only stop for a break at the Floating Mosque by the Red Sea. I just step down to stretch my leg and to overview the familiar sight.

At 1100 hrs, we arrived at the Haj Terminal, the exit Airport. When we checked in there was problem as Gulf Air assessed that the Group total luggage including the zam zam water was overweight. There was bargaining, pleading and haggling and finally Gulf Air released without any compound.

Flight GF 2101 to Bahrain supposed to depart at 1420 hours but it was delayed to 1700 hours. During my conversation with Hj Bakir, I now understand why Hj Amri character was rather peculiar. I was told by Haji Bakir that Hj Amri was brought up from infancy by a single mother and no wonder he does not know the meaning or culture of a father and son relationship. Whatever….there was no excuse for him for not knowing or adopting the simple Malay culture of differentiating between the young and the old and the respect he has to bestow upon elderly people.

I was so exhausted of waiting, I slept on the floor and Atan was kind enough to render his jacket as my pillow. When I was awakened, the plane was ready for boarding.

Finally we boarded the plane and we broke fast as the plane was about to land in Bahrain. We landed at about 1900 hours.

The connecting flight to Kuala Lumpur was Flight GF 0280 departing at 2000 hours. We had only about an hour or so to spare and the plane departure was on schedule. We had to rush to find Gate 37, right at the end of the Terminal.

18 September 2009: The sahor was somewhere above India. It was a smooth flight all the way to KLIA.

The plane landed safely at KLIA sharp at 0945 hours. On hand to greet me was my wife, my daughter and little Shasha whom I missed very much. (Shasha is the three year old Haji Adenan daughter who is my neighbor).

HOME SWEET HOME.

CONCLUSION: I was very comfortable with the Royal Sultan Hotel. To perform an umrah, the Van came right to the Hotel doorstep for the miqat at Tanaim. The return journey, the Van would send us right to Hilton underground and by the escalator to King Faad Gate of Masjidil Haram. Compliment to the Van Driver, Abu Salim. The food was satisfactory, an Indonesian Chef. We even have “ikan kembong”. Haji Bakir and me normally took our food last as we wanted to avoid the crowd and the unnecessary political debate among the Pilgrims. There was no jam on the way to the Mosque and the passage was always clear except on the Night of 27 Ramadan. Except for the cold storage Room 810 and the defective thermostat, the rest of the Hotel facilities were satisfactory. We filled up the bath tub with the warm water and we ended up having cold shower. Clothes to dry took us only overnight with the aid of the desert air.


Every time I face the Kaabah, I asked Allah to judge me and penalize me for things that I have misdeed. I came to surrender myself and I leave to the Almighty to bless or befall my fate. I meant no offence to anyone for thee seek justice and truth as the follower of the Holy Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) and I believe in Allah.

Overall it was a successful umrah. There were no hard obstacles and Allah had paved the way for my safety and bestowed good health throughout my 28 days stay in the Holy Land. Syukur Alhamdullillah.

Insyaalah with good health, I would make the same journey in 2010 Ramadan.

THAT’S THE TRUE STORY OF MY JOURNEY.

No comments: