Monday, September 12, 2011

Ramadan Umrah 2011.


My favorite Travel package, Akmukminin Travel under Ustaz Mokhzar, did not organize a month Ramadan umrah package. I decided to get to Ustaz Hassan Yatim of HBY Travel and he was please to include me. I was in his package during 2008 Ramadan but I opted since, due to the presence of one so call Division 1 Government Officer who was so extraordinary egoistic. Ustaz Hassan had since excluded that so call Division 1 Government Officer from his regular entourage and now welcoming me as his Customer.

All plan set up for the long one month umrah and I promised Ustaz Mokhzar however to meet up in Mekah. I was not really that excited as one of my buddies, a regular umrah mate; due to some unforeseen and unfortunate circumstance, Mr X is under the Indonesian Police custody in Pekanbaru Indonesia.

The duration of my presence at the Holy Land was from 27 July 2011 to 03 September 2011. (39 days).

Day 1: (27 July 2011).

Left home for KLIA at about 1600 hrs and the flight to Abu Dhabi were on schedule. Shasha, my little darling joined the family to bid farewell to the Old Man.

My Darling Shasha.

Day 2: (28 July 2011).

Transit at Abu Dhabi Airport for two (2) hours and proceeded to Jeddah Saudi Arabia for another two and the half hours flight time. Upon arrival at Jeddah before dawn I made a blunder by checking in at King Abdul Aziz (KAA) International Airport instead of the Haj Terminal where all the umrah Passengers were directed to. However, it was a minor problem and was sorted out by the Muaasasah Officials who directed the Coach from the Haj Terminal to pick me up at KAA International. Immigration formalities were swift and simple as I was the only umrah passengers at KAA.

It was another five (5) hours journey through the desert to Medina. We had one stop for breakfast. At Medina we were checked in at Al Saha Hotel, two blocks from Masjid Nabawi. My first prayer at Masjid Nabawi was Zohor. After the Asar prayer I did the ziarah (paid homage) to the Holy Prophet Shrine and entered the Raudah. I spent several minutes inside Raudah to say my thanks to the Almighty that I was again invited to Masjid Nabawi. I also prayed and doa for the well being of Mr X in Pekanbaru.

(Raudah is one of the Gardens in Paradise).

On the way to Medina.

In Masjid Nabawi, just behind Raudah.

Day 3: (29 July 2011).

It was my daily routine that after subuh, Zohor and Asar I would stay in the Mosque reading the Quraan. It would be crowded immediately leaving the Mosque after the solat fardhu.

Free Day in Medina. It was Friday and I joined the congregation. To equip myself for the long stay in the Holy Land, I bought a sejadah. After Asar, I managed to find a little space in Raudah again to perform my prayers.

Day 4: (30 July 2011).

Medina Outskirts visits - we started just after Subuh and the first itinerary was Masjid Quba. We then went to Mount Uhud and visited the Syuhadah Shrine. At the Quran Factory there was a long queue and since I had been inside before I gave those who have not been inside a chance. I did not buy anything at the Date Farm and the Date Market. We were back in the Hotel before Zohor. After Isyakh I rendezvous with my buddy, Haji Bakir Azizan at the Clock Tower and we adjourned for tea.

Masjid Quba, Medina. (the first Mosque the Holy Prophet built upon arrival in Medina).

Makam Syuhadah at Mount of Uhud. (Marty's Tomb).

The Archers Hill at Mount of Uhud.

Quraan Factory.

Date Market.

The Coach that took us around.

I would be leaving for Mekah the following day.

Day 5: (31 July 2011).

Last day in Medina and at 1000 hrs I went to Raudah. Raudah is normally crowded and it is normal that we cannot find an empty space. Allah is great and this time the Police Security himself called me up to the first saf (line) but I could not stay for long. After two sets of prayers, he asked me to vacate the place for others. Whatever I must thank him that he gave me the opportunity to pray at ease as he was standing by me and no one pushed me around. Soon after, I did my widak, (farewell) to the Holy Prophet.

At 1530 hrs, attired in ihram I left for Mekah and the first stop was Bir Ali Mosque to perform my miqat (intention to perform umrah), consequently solat Asar. The Coach stopped somewhere 200 kilometers away from Mekah for us to have dinner and solat jamak of Maghreb and Isyakh.

At Bir Ali Mosque in ihram.

Arrived Mekah around 2300 hrs but we could not enter the city. Most roads were blocked as it was the first night of solat Terawih and most people came out to pray to welcome the Ramadan. I missed my first night of Terawih. Finally just before midnight we reached the designated Hotel Riyadah International at Ibrahim Khalil Street situated at Misfalah Zone. I was checked in to Room 703 with Haji Zaki Saleh and Ustaz Hassan Yatim.

My roommate, Tuan Haji Zaki Saleh. (He resembles Pak Lah).

Hotel Riyadah International Mekah.

My one month bed. (sorry for poor housekeeping).

The way to the Masjidil Haram. (turn right before Continental Hotel).

Day 6: (01 August 2011).

After settling down, I then proceed to Masjidil Haram to perform my tawaf umrah. I was on my third saie that the first Subuh azan was called. I had only an hour to spare to complete my saie ritual and to rush back to the Hotel for sahor. I managed to perform both before Subuh. After Subuh, I hit the sack until Zohor. The room air condition screwed up and we smuggled the wall fan outside and installed temporarily in our room. After Asar I looked up for Haji Mokhzar and then rested at his Hotel room at Hotel Rawabi Emirate until Maghreb. We then went to Masjidil Haram for breaking of fast and Maghreb.

Breaking of fast at Masjidil Haram.

In front of King Malik Fahd Gate.

After Maghreb I walked back to my Hotel for dinner and rushed back to Masjil Haram for Isyakh and Terawih. Since I was so damn exhausted, for Terawih I performed only 12 instead of 20.

New Wing coming up.

King Malik Fahd Main entrance.

Mid afternoon at Masjidil Haram.

New wing under construction.

My approach to Masjidil Haram, between Hilton (right) and Continental Hotel (left). This area was a Bus station before.

Tawaf at Kaabah in the afternoon.

Tawaf at Night.

Day break outside Masjidil Haram.

Masjidil Haram chandeliar.

Day 7: (02 August 2011).

My dining area is now located at 12 Floor, Malay style, no table and chair and cross legged. Haji Bakir Azizan called informing me that he had arrived in Mekah. I did 20 rakaat of Terawih at King Abdul Aziz Gate, first floor.

At first floor overlooking Kaabah.

Day 8: (03 August 2011).

Early morning we went to Arafah, Muzdalifah, Mina and Jairanah. I brought my sets of ihram and at Jairanah Mosque I performed the miqat to do my second umrah. Completed the umrah before Zohor and this umrah was dedicated to my late father, Tuan Haji Abdul Hamid Abdullah.

At the foot of Mount Rahmah at Arafah. (the Mount where Adam rendezvous with Eve after being banished to Earth by Allah).

One of my roommates brought a laptop and he was mostly browsing “Harakah Daily” and started talking about Malaysian politics, the negative aspects of the Malaysian government. This is one thing that I hate………as for me I wanted to forgo internet and politic for one month while I was in the Holy Land. I came to the Holy Land for the sole purpose of ibadah.

I broke fast with Haji Bakir at Masjidil Haram. For Isyakh and Terawih, I went with Haji Mokhzar at the Mosque Underground Section and we completed 20. Haji Mokhzar invited me to come along with him to Medina to send off a package back to Malaysia via Medina Airport. I excitedly accepted as I would have the chance to fast and perform ther Terawih in Medina at Masjid Nabawi. I packed my bag, ihram and Passport for Medina.

ZAM ZAM CLOCK TOWER.

Hilton Hotel and the Zam zam Clock Tower.

Zam Zam Hotel and its magnificent Clock Tower.

The Clock Tower seen from 12 Floor of my residential Hotel.

The Clock Tower Complex at Night.

The Clock Tower and Masjidil Haram roof top.

Light flickers at the crescent during every call of azan

The Clock Tower seen from Gazza Zone.

Day 9: (04 August 2011).

After Subuh I performed my widak at the Kaabah. As a jemaah, I had to perform the widak at anytime I leave Mecca and I was leaving for Medina. The widak took me an hour as it was normally crowded with Jemaah performing the tawaf sunat rituals.

We finally left Mekah for Medina at 1330 hours. We stopped at a place call Socso for jamak Zohor and Asar. I was very pleased with the Mosque, clean and well kept. The first Mosque that I ever came across between Mekah and Medina that is very accommodating. The toilets and the wuduk area are very well maintained.

We broke our fast in the Coach as it was reaching the Hotel and Medina. I checked into Hotel Menazzil Al Shark Room 619. My first Terawih at Masjid Nabawi was only 10.

Day 10: (05 August 2011).

Sahor – was exceptionally different and an experience to remember. Capt Hasanin of Sakinah Travel arranged for a “Nasi Mandi” sahor at a Date Farm under the management of his relative. We also had a good briefing about Dates.

Nasi Mandi.

Nasi Mandi sahor at the Date Farm.

Capt Hasinin and his distant Arab cousin (right).

Take it easy, Pak Busu (Haji Mokhzar).

After Subuh I tried to ziarah to the Holy Prophet Shrine but being Friday morning it was very crowded. I succeeded after the Friday prayer. I broke fast in Masjid Nabawi and the Terawih was 20 inside the Mosque.

Day 11: (06 August 2011).

Medina Outskirts visits – We started with Quba Mosque. I met Ustaz Fairuz, my umrah mate of 2005/6/7 at Quba Mosque Toilet, of all the places. At the Date Farm (different than the early morning) I met Hajjah Latifah and Haji Haidir. At the Farm I decided to buy several kilos and types of dates, ajwa, sukardi, ambar etc. At the Quran Factory, it was also crowded and the queue was very long and again I did not enter. We just passed by Masjid Qiblatin and the Seven Mosques and back to the Hotel.

I broke fast in the Mosque and here I met Bapak Romli, a Jemaah from Pulau Banka Indonesia. I did only 10 of Terawih. On the way back to the Hotel, I bumped into Haji Hidir and we had a long discussion about Mr X who was then under Police custody at Pekanbaru Indonesia. Haji Hidir is an acquaintance of Mr X.

Day 12: (07 August 2011).

After Subuh I was very restless and I just could not put myself to sleep. At 1000 hrs I decided to go to the Nabawi Mosque and entered the Raudah. I was very fortunate again, for as soon as I was in the Raudah area, the Police decided to cordon the area and barred new entrees. Raudah was then spacious and I could pray several prayers and times as I pleased. Allah was very kind to me. Syukur alhamdullillah. After Zohor I did my widak (farewell) to the Holy Prophet as I would be leaving for Medina Airport at 1700 hrs to send off Sakinah Travel Jemaah home and then headed back to Mekah.

Breaking of fast at Masjid Nabawi courtyard.

Boundary set where Jemaah should not pray in front of the Imam at Masjid Nabawi Medina.

Back view of Masjid Nabawi.

Nabawi at Night.

Front view of Masjid Nabawi. The Holy Prophet Tomb is right under the green Dome.

Umbrellas surrounding Nabawi.

Nabawi at night from a distant.

The well planned Medina City.

Shops lots in Medina.

We broke fast at Medina Airport and checked in all the luggage and Zam Zam water for Sakinah Travel jemaah. When all done, the three (3) of us, Haji Mokhzar, Haji Ismail and yours truly boarded the Coach and off to Jeddah. I put on my ihram attire in the Coach and as the Coach passed by Bir Ali Mosque I performed the miqat. I missed the Terawih tonight. We had to send the Coach to Jeddah to repair the screwed up air condition.

Day 13: (08 August 2011).

Upon arrival at Jeddah we had our sahor at the Pakistan community Area and Haji Ismail’s friend came to fetch us to head for Mekah. We arrived in Mekah just before Subuh and I had to walk all the way from Ajeyad zone to Misfalah zone. I left the bag of dates with Haji Ismail who is staying up on the hill. I did my Subuh prayer in the Hotel room.

Immediately after Subuh I performed the tawaf and saie and this umrah was dedicated to my late grandfather Shaari bin Salam. By 0815 hrs I completed all rituals. After Asar I visited Haji Faharuddin and Hajjah Rogayah at Hotel Rawabi Emirate.

From today onward I broke my fast at the Hotel 12 Floor. I found it was time constraint and tiring to run back to the Hotel after Maghreb and rushed back to the Mosque for Isyakh and Terawih. Age is catching up with me.

Mekah - sunset taken from residential Hotel.

Isyakh and Terawih of 20 were at the Mosque rooftop. After Terawih I did some shopping of crystal Masjidil Haram and Masjid Nabawi replicas for my friend back home.

Terawih at rooftop.

Day 14: (09 August 2011).

Changed some money and picked up the laundry. I went to Hilton Bin Daud Super Market but it was overcrowded. I hate the place because the Arabs do not know how to queue at the payment counter. I therefore opted for Pakistan Street and got all I wanted. I performed the Isyakh and Terawih prayer of 20 at the Mosque rooftop. I then went to De Saji Restaurant and met Haji Arshad, the Hotel Manager of Menazzil Al Waled. He told me he was at my resident Hotel that evening to meet up with Hadi Awang, PAS President who was staying at Room 101. I wasn’t aware of Hadi Awang presence and his presence did not interest me anyway.

Day15: (10 August 2011).

For sahor I only consumed milk and Indo instant mee. I had “nasi minyak” during breaking of fast and the oily stuff churned my tummy.

In the evening before breaking of fast I went to De Saji Restaurant to buy some Malay cookies and Roti Canai. I performed the isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the Mosque rooftop. I like the rooftop because of the evening breeze and airy. The air condition area in the Mosque was usually occupied and some Jemaah actually booked the space. I have now decided to do my own washings as laundry cost was squeezing my pocket. Budget was running low.

Roti Canai Telor at De Saji Restaurant.

Masjidil Haram during Zohor.

The former Bus Station had been lined up for jemaah to pray.

Day 16: (11 August 2011).

Consistently I adapt to my daily routine of reading the Holy Quraan after subuh till daybreak.

Yours Truly with the Holy Quraan.

At 0700 hrs with Haji Bakir we went to Tanaem to do the miqat to perform umrah. This umrah was for my late grandmother, Hajjah Robimah Hanapiah. We completed at 1030 hrs and the weather was scorching warm. I was sweating profusely and I began to have double visions. I surrendered and I broke my fast by gulping a bottle of fresh milk. The Satan managed to overpower me and I promised myself I had to be stronger and was successful until the last day of the fasting month.

After Asar I went to De Saji Restaurant and bought “mertabak” which I rendered as sedekah to Haji Faharuddin & wife at Hotel Rawabi Emirates.

There was no buka puasa for me as I was not fasting.

I performed the Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop. I went to De Saji for a drink and I met Shahrul who told me he was mugged by some Arab boys in the Mosque. I was shocked as Masjidil Haram is supposed to be free of gangsters. Shahrul managed to fight back and floored the Arab hooligan. He wanted to step on the hooligan but other Arabs held him and the Arab hooligan walked off with his tail between the legs. Shahrul probably applied “silat melayu”.

Day 17: (12 August 2011).

Solat fardhu Jumaat – I prayed at the open area way off from Masjidil Haram. The Mosque was full to the brim. Thursday and Friday, Mekah is normally extraordinarily crowded due to the weekend. Most residents from the surrounding area would come to Masjidil Haram on Thursday morning and packed off after the Friday prayer. They don’t need Hotel for accommodation.

During the breaking of fast, I met Padzol from Bangi and this was his first trip to Mekah. I lead the guy to the Mosque rooftop and we performed the isyakh and Terawih of 20 up there.

After Terawih of 10, my roommate attended ceramah of Hadi Awang at Hotel Menazil Al Waled. Religious Ceramah or Political Ceramah??? I don’t buy, if it was Religious Ceramah.

Day 18: (13 August 2011).

I had never done this before. I put on my ihram attire before Zohor and after Zohor I went to Tanaem alone to miqat to perform an umrah. I wanted to avoid the morning crowd. This umrah was for my late brother in law, Mokhtar@Hanafiah bin Abdul Rahman who passed away on 11 July 2011. Surprisingly I managed to complete the umrah rituals just before Asar. I encountered a funny incident where one jemaah without the umrah attire was doing the saie and he asked for the scissors to trim his hair indicating that he had completed the saie. I gave him a piece of my mind instead and a short lecture………there is no such thing as saie sunat and he don’t need the scissors. Anyway, I refused to lend mine to him. That’s the problem……..some jemaah (not from Malaysia) came to Mekah but they did not study the terminology of umrah.

I could not get to the rooftop as it was full and I managed to squeeze my way to King Fahd first floor to do my Isyakh and Terawih of 20.

Day 19: (14 August 2011).

After Subuh I sent washed clothing to the Laundry for pressing. Economic strategies had to be address.

After Asar I stopped by at the Pakistani outlet to buy “samosa” for breaking of fast. I performed Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop.


Full moon above Masjidil Haram.

Day 20: (15 August 2011).

After Asar went to De Saji Restaurant and bought “roti canai telor” and left some for Haji Faharuddin & wife at Hotel Rawabi Emirates. I performed the Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop.

Day 21: (16 August 2011).

After Subuh, at 0800 hrs I went to Tanaem to miqat for umrah dedicated to my late father in law, Abdul Rahman bin Ali and completed at 1115 hrs. After Asar for a change of diet, I bought a set of beef burger for breaking of fast. In Saudi Arabia, burger is “kudu”. My friend Haji Zaaba Kamaruddin called from Jeddah that he had landed and on the way to Medina. I performed Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop.

Day 22: (17 August 2011).

Just passed midnight, Haji Mokhzar came to the Hotel and simultaneously Haji Ismail delivered my dates that were kept in his house. After Zohor I went shopping at Safwah and packed inclusive in the bag for Haji Mokhzar to take home on 23 August 2011. I packed the bag and after Asar I delivered the bag to Haji Mokhzar at Hotel Rawabi Emirate. Goodness!! It weighed 16 kilos. My wife would be at KLIA to receive the bag from Haji Mokhzar.

I performed Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop and then Haji Zaki and I had tea at Mezzanine Floor.

Day 23: (18 August 2011).

After Zohor I lazed around at Hilton Shopping Center as I got to get something for YM Raja Sahar and for my darling Shasha. I also managed to get the “red kemiyan” for my folks in Ipoh. I have not seen the stuff before and I hope it was right. After Asar I went to Pakistan Street to replenish the soap powder.

For Isyakh and Terawih of 20, I decided to change location and I joined Haji Pilus at King Abdul Aziz Gate first floor. Apparently, that was my regular place during 2010 Ramadan umrah.

Day 24: (19 August 2011).

Subuh – I had the opportunity to sit beside the Imam of Masjid Rohingya of Mekah. We exchanged notes and he mentioned names of several Ulamaks and Ustaz from Malaysia that is his friends. It was Friday and I prayed under shade somewhere in front of Hilton Hotel at the Mosque fringes. As usual during Friday prayers, Masjidil Haram Mosque was over spilled.

After Asar, I stood by near one of the Hotel at Ibrahim Khalil Street and watched the melodrama of syndicated Pakistani women beggars. They were not poor because they operated hand phones and refused other than money. They refused bread and food offered to them therefore they were not that poor actually. Other than begging their profession was pick pocketing and hand phones was the favorite. Several Malaysian women jemaah lost their hand set right in front of the Hotel. They operated in 3 or 4 and walked up and down Ibrahim Khalil Street. I came to understand these so call women beggars were purposely brought to Mekah by the Syndicate or the Mafias to collect money or steal any valuable items from innocent Jemaahs. I wonder why the Saudi Police do not do anything about it when I as an ordinary bystander could see what was happening. In Islam you can’t even shout at the beggar. True! If it is a true beggars who are really poor.

I performed the Isyakh and Terawih of 20 back at the rooftop. After Terawih, Haji Zaaba Kamaruddin called that he had already checked into the same Hotel as mine in Room 502. I hastily visited him as he was carrying something of prime valuable from Malaysia. Don’t ask me what is the thing??

Day 25: (20 August 2011).

Iktikaf Jemaah had started checking in at the Mosque. They will camp for the last ten days of Ramadan in the Mosque, sleep, eat, prays and read the quraan. Some brought their own pillows. The Holy Prophet did the iktikaf during the last ten days of Ramadan but surely the Holy Prophet maintained cleanliness of the Mosque. I don’t like the spilled saliva on the praying carpet when they sleep. I have to put my forehead on the same carpet when I pray and I don’t like the smell. To overcome………I brought my own sejadah every time I went to the Mosque to pray. Islam is all about cleanliness. No further comment as this issue may be sensitive to some.

The Arabs were sleeping right after subuh.

I went to Tanaem to do my miqat to perform umrah dedicated to my late mother in law, Mariam binti Haji Tahir. There was a massive traffic jam arriving back in Mekah and I don’t know what the Traffic Policeman was doing. They should give priority for busses carrying umrah jemaah back to base. I completed the umrah rituals closed to noon.

I caught up with Haji Zaaba for Asar and after that we went shopping for habastusauda honey at Safwah Shopping Complex. Zaaba bought four (4) and I bought three (3) bottles of one kilo each. Al Nour has been my favorite Outlet for Yemen honey.

For Isyakh and Terawih of 20 I lead Haji Zaaba and Haji Tasleem to the rooftop. After Terawih we went back to Al Nour Honey outlet and Haji Tasleem was interested of the same Yemeni honey. We ended the night at De Saji Restaurant where Haji Tasleem took the tab of mertabak and iced tea.

Tuan Haji Zaaba Kamaruddin at the rooftop.

Tuan Haji Tamlees at the rooftop.

Yours truly at the rooftop.

The Indian Muslim and the Kwangtung Cinaman from Malaysia.

Day 26: (21 August 2011).

Subuh – The Mosque was getting overcrowded at my normal usual praying spot. I found alternative spot at the umrah gate, a distance away but plenty of space. During Zohor I lead Haji Tasleem way inside the Mosque and finally landed at Underground. I had to locate a place in the Mosque as near as possible to the Kaabah as immediately after Zohor, Haji Tasleem wanted to commence his tawaf.

Kaabah after Terawih.

Jemaah dispersing.

For Isyakh and Terawih I lead Haji Zaaba and Haji Tasleem to the rooftop. However I only managed to do only 10 and went home. Haji Zaaba and Haji Tasleem continued to complete 20.

Day 27: (22 August 2011).

For the night, Haji Zaaba took his pillows to my room as the air conditioner in Room 502 was not functioning. Up during sahor, Haji Zaaba complained that my room was really like a Cold Storage. As a matter of fact I had been tolerating and grumblings for all these while because Haji Hassan Yatim, my roommate is a warm blooded human beings. I used to sleep with the blanket all over me except my nose. I applied “patience” and “tolerance” when I was in the Holy Land.

Subuh – for the first time I went to the rooftop with Haji Zaaba. After Asar, all alone I walked the Pakistan Street and got myself a mini luggage bag. I was short of luggage bag as one of them was on the way back to Malaysia.

For Isyakh and Terawih, Haji Zaaba and I decided to perform the 20 at the umrah Gate first floor. We had supper of mutton curry and roti Benggali at the Pakistan Restaurant in front of Hotel Rawabi Emirate.

Day 28: (23 August 2011).

Subuh, Zohor and Asar, the best quiet place and no crowd was at umrah gate first floor.

After Asar my wife confirmed that the luggage had been collected and all things inside was intact. Syukur alhamdullillah and syukran Pak Busu.

For Isyakh and Terawih, it was a joke. Mohamed (Haji Zaaba roommate) told me that he had found a very comfortable place, fully air conditioned at the Mosque. I decided to follow him and asked him to lead the way. He took me to Hilton Surau at Hilton Hotel 4th Floor. That Surau was nothing strange to me and it was not in Masjidil Haram. I prayed in that Surau when I did my Haj all the way back in 1999. However we decided to pray there and completed 20. The joke was, Mohamed did not know that the place is Hilton Hotel Surau and entirely separated from Masjidil Haram. I don’t blame him as this was his first trip to Mekah. Next time…..ask the Taiko.

Back at the Hotel, I had tea with Haji Zaki at Mezzanine Floor before calling off the night. When I told Haji Zaki the story he had a good laugh.

Day 29: (24 August 2011).

Subuh – I went all alone without knowing Haji Zaaba was just nearby. We were surprised to bump at each other.

After Subuh I went to Tanaem to miqat for umrah. This umrah was a tribute to YM Raja Sahar’s late father YM Raja Manja ibni YM Raja Haji Long. YM Raja Sahar had requested me to perform one umrah for his late father and I gladly obliged. The ritual completed at 1015 hrs. Since this was my last umrah for 2011 Ramadan, I went to the Barber to trim my hair to the shortest, No 1, short of botak.

I began to sneeze and not feeling well maybe due to the heat during the umrah. I performed my Zohor and Asar in the room to avoid the heat. Sometimes we got to sacrifice, not to get sick.

For Isyakh and Terawih I went to Umrah Gate first floor and I did only 10 in order not to exert my body. Never mind……the Holy Prophet did only 8. So 10 was actually a bonus.

Day 30: (25 August 2011).

Subuh was at the first floor at umrah gate. This early morning the Traffic Policeman made a blunder. Ibrahim Khalil Street was not closed and Jemaah was having problem going to/from the Mosque during subuh prayer comingling with the busses, taxis and cars. Gosh it was nightmare maneuvering among the vehicles and the sounds of horns was deafening

Zohor and Asar was at umrah gate first floor with Haji Zaaba. After Asar we bought “cekodok pisang” at De Saji Restaurant and mutton curry to supplement breaking of fast.

We performed Isyakh and Terawih of 20 at the rooftop.

Day 31: (26 August 2011).

Subuh – Haji Tasleem’s wife joined us at umrah gate first floor. Apparently, the women section at this place was empty and for her convenience sake we guided her to the place. Friday prayer – you don’t believe it!! The congregation spilled to the Hotel frontage. We therefore prayed at the Hotel Lobby, fully air conditioned.

Breaking of fast – I was invited by the Bangladesh Hotel Staff to join them and I was treated to Bangladeshi style of breaking fast. They only consumed varieties of fruits.

Bangladeshi dish of Breaking of Fast.

With the resident Hotel staff.

Isyakh and Terawih – I could not enter the Mosque so as to the rooftop. I managed to find a spot right in front of Hubaidiah gate and completed 20 of Terawih. Tonight was the highlight, the Night of 27 and the Arabs consider it as Malam Lailatulqadar. (1,000 months Night).

Masjidil Haram and its surrounding was crowded with every space available was occupied by Jemaah to do the solat Terawih. They even prayed on buses roof top.

Day 32: (27 August 2011).

Subuh – I had no choice but to pray at the Dataran. No entry to the Mosque, all packed.

Breaking of Fast – since a package of umrah Jemaah was going back the next day, they held a mini kenduri of “nasi mandi” at the 12 Floor. Haji Tasleem at the same time bought beef curry for me.

Isyakh and Terawih – last Terawih for Haji Zaaba and we went to the rooftop vide Shakeida Gate escalator. We performed 20.

Back at the Hotel we had tea.

Day 33: (28 August 2011).

After sahor I called home and managed to talk to my darling Shasha who happened to be in my house over the weekend. The cheeky little fellow was asking me when Atok would be coming back. Subuh was with Haji Zaaba at umrah gate first floor and the last prayer for Haji Zaaba at Masjidil Haram.

Back at the Hotel I helped Haji Zaaba to do the final packing as he was leaving Mekah for home at 1030 hrs.

Zohor and Asar now alone, I went to King Fahd first floor.

Isyakh and Terawih – was at Hubaidiyah Gate frontage. Tonight was the Khatam Al Quraan, the reading of the final chapter of the 30 juzuks. The congregation was about equal to the Night of 27. Every little space in the Mosque and its surrounding was occupied. The Imam recited the “doa khatam quraan” for the duration of about forty five (45) minutes and some elderly jemaah succumbed to sitting down from standing.

Day 34: (29 August 2011).

For the first time, Haji Zaki and I joined the Tahajud session at 0100 hrs. However I did only 8 rakaat.

Subuh was all alone at umrah gate first floor. I had a good sleep after Subuh as all my roommates was out for umrah. I closed the curtain tight and lowered the air condition and I slept comfortably until they came back.

Zohor and Asar at umrah gate first floor. On the way to the Mosque for Isyakh, Raja Sahar called from Malaysia that Hari Raya had been declared as on 30 August 2011. I performed Isyakh at the rooftop and there was no commencement of Terawih. Therefore, the next day was Aidilfitri and the digital display at Zam Zam Clock Tower read “EID MUBARAK”. Everybody left the Mosque early.

A quiet Hari Raya night. No celebration, whatsoever. I quietly had tea all alone at the Mezzanine floor. Memories of the good old days of Hari Raya when I was a small kid in the Kampong flew by, the “bunga api” and the “meriam buluh”. Suddenly I felt so lonely, all alone in a distant country far from my family.

Day 35: (30 August 2011).

AIDILFITRI or EID MUBARAK.

I went for Subuh exceptionally early in order to get a comfortable place within the Mosque of which I had to stay put until the solat sunat Aidilfitri. I opted for a place at Hubaidiyah Gate frontage for an easy access to get back to the Hotel when the Prayer was over.

Subuh on the morning of Aidilfitri. (note the red light at the door - no more entry).

Waiting solat sunat Aidilfitri to commence. (this was where I prayed).

After the prayer, back at the Hotel we have lontong, satay, dodol and rendang for Hari Raya feast. Not too bad but no lemang and ketupat. I called home and my folks in Ipoh.

Our delicacies on Raya morning in Room 702.

With Haji Hairuddin of KRS Travel.

With Haji Isa Bakar in front of the Hotel after solat Aidilfitri.

Jemaah leaving Masjidil Haram after solat Aidilfitri (pic taken in front of the Hotel).

Zohor and Asar – now the Mosque was empty and I was back at King Fahd first floor.

After Asar I went shopping for dates and chocolates to be taken home.

Magreb and Isyakh were at King Fahd first floor. No more Terawih.

Day 36: (31 August 2011).

The crowd in Mekah had thinned down and there was no pressure going to the Mosque looking for space to pray.

Breakfast was horrible, the “nasi goring” was very salty and I took bread instead.

Malaysia was Merdeka and I was also merdeka in my room. Both my roommates went for umrah and I slept until Zohor, undisturbed.

All prayers were now at King Fahd first floor. The floor was practically empty.

I met up with Haji Bakir after Asar for tea. He was mad with me for not calling him for all these days. He was grumbling that he had to travel all the way to Medina Airport instead of Haj Airport in Jeddah. Night after Isyakh since there was no terawih, it was free & easy and we exchanged notes among the jemaahs.

Day 37: (01 September).

All prayers were at King Fahd first floor.

After Asar, I walked down memory lane and went to Misfalah Market to get some fresh fruits to be taken home.

Day 38: (02 September 2011).

Subuh – Last prayer at Masjidil Haram and being Friday morning it was “sujud sejadah”.

AM GOING HOME, TODAY.

Immediately after breakfast, I had my shower and headed for Masjidil Haram to perform the widak. I was at the Kaabah for the last time, for this time. After circulating the Kaabah for seven (7) times, I went behind the Multazam and said my last doa seeking Allah that I would be invited again in the near future to this place. I completed the widak at 0730 hrs and the Coach arrived right in front of the Hotel at 0800 hrs. After fetching Imtiaz Jemaahs at Gazza Zone we left Mekah for the the Haj Terminal in Jeddah at 0915 hrs. Good bye Mekah.

Arrived at the Haj Terminal we unloaded all the passengers and cargoes and ready to get our boarding passes. Trolleys were an acute problem. Suddenly without any prior notice there was a change of Airport. Flight 312 to Abu Dhabi now rescheduled to take off from KAA International instead. Gosh!! We had to find a Coach and reload everything. It was crazy and the replacement Coach charged us 300 Saudi Riyal for the transfer.

At KAA we had to repeat all the same procedures. Fortunately trolley was not a problem here. There was no problem checking in our luggage and Zam Zam water canisters at the Etihad Airline Counter. Smooth and easy and “baksis” was reasonable.

Here came the biggest problem, Immigration formalities. I was on 30 days visa and I entered Saudi Arabia on 28 July 2011. I only overstayed for seven (7) days. At the Immigration booth our Passport was not stamped and was asked to queue up at counter 12. I told the Officer that I had a boarding pass and I wanted to get out from the country. He was adamant and directed me to refer to his Superior Officer in the Glass Office. I walked in and the Officer also requested me to join the very long queue at counter 12. There were hundreds of Passengers that had an overstayed visa. To me this was very unreasonable as we were prepared to leave the country. If we had overstayed and found loitering in Jeddah city or hiding somewhere up in the mountains than it was only fair that we being reprimanded. What disgusted me, Jemaah on wheelchairs who overstayed were allowed to pass through. So, where was the rationale? The Arabs were very happy to see people in distress. The Immigration Officer who initially refused to stamp for my exit must be the descendant of Labu Lahab. From the Islamic point of view, it was contradicting to Islamic teaching for landing Jemaahs into unnecessary predicament.

The Immigration Hall was chaotic with Passengers became agitated when standing in the long queue and not moving. The Airline personnel came to inspect why Passengers were not boarding. Suddenly there was an instruction to open up three (3) counters to clear the overstayed passengers. So, why gave us problem in the first instance? I wonder why? Was it for the fun of it?

At last, I got my Passport stamped and after the Security check I walked straight to the Airport Shuttle Coach that took me to the awaiting plane to Abu Dhabi. I left Jeddah via Flight EY 312 for Abu Dhabi with bad memories and impressions of KAA International Airport Immigration.

I arrived at Abu Dhabi at Terminal 1. Six (6) hours transit to KLIA and I loitered around.

Day 39 (03 September 2011).

Boarding for KLIA at Gate 43 at Terminal 3 and I walked about a kilometer away to get to the Gate from Terminal 1. The Airport was modern and well equipped. We boarded by aerobridge instead of shuttle Coaches like in Jeddah Airport. Flight EY 418 left Abu Dhabi at 0225 hrs (UAE time) and arrived at KLIA at 1400 hrs (Malaysian time). Luggage and Zam Zam water canisters received in good condition.

Waited by the rest of the family and we drove straight to Ipoh to my hometown.

COMMENT:

All well, except the Departure Section Immigration Department at KAA International Airport Jeddah. As for Arrival Section, they were commendable, problem free. We were on umrah visa and we came to Saudi Arabia to perform religious rites; Ramadan umrah. We wanted to go back home, why the unnecessary hassle? More than thirty (30) days we had been away from home and were all longing to see the family (wife?) as soon as possible.

During the “overstay” of seven (7) bloody days, none of us gained any monetarily. In fact we contributed economically to Saudi Arabia, the food, drink, accommodation, transport, shopping etc. Perhaps the Immigration Officials do not know about simple economic and common sense. In the situation where we ever had overstayed for seven months or seven years than it was logic that we could be held back. We all came to Saudi Arabia for the sake of Masjid Nabawi and Masjidil Haram, not for anything else.

How to eradicate the ABU LAHAB mentality?

3 comments:

zaaba said...

woooo Haji your memory so good..la..every moment in Medina and mecca..written..tabik you laa...

Unknown said...

Best month to perform umrah is Ramadan on which all agents offeres cheap umrah packages which can increase their revenue too much and also useful for passengers.

Unknown said...

MashAllah an excellent and extensive account of your trip.

However I must point out that your iftar with the Bangladeshi didnt only consist of fruits :)