Sunday, May 17, 2015

Down Memory Lane.

16.05.2015 – the Meeting of Old Boys and Girls of Government English School (GES) Tapah renamed Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Buyung Adil (SMKBA) at the school Hall.



School Hall.

I studied at GES Tapah from Form 1 to 3 (1960 – 1962) and a resident of the School Hostel. It was informed that the Hostel would soon be demolished to make way for new building. On that score I made an effort to attend the function though I am currently residing in Port Klang. The last I was at the Hostel was a few days of 1963 school term.

Hit the road up north at 0815 hrs and reached Tapah at 1030 hrs exiting at Bidor. To my dismay, not many of my batches were present. The familiar faces that I know off were Dato Malik Ahmad, Ali Abbas, D.G. Gunasegran and Madam Lee Tet Fong (Form 1 – 1960). The juniors were Datin Zawiyah, Rahimah Rahim, Alina Mustaffa and Jamil Rahim.

The Program:

Morning session: School choir and speeches by the School Pengetua and Pengerusi PIBG.

The session adjourned for lunch at 1300 hrs – 1400 hrs. Buffet lunch at Ground Floor of the Hall.




After lunch, Dato Malik and I walked down memory lane toward the Hostel. It brought back nostalgic memory walking down the same corridor in the 60s. The Hostel is completely changed as it is now only for girls. During my time it was for poor kampong Malay boys like me. I was surprise the Hostel was completely closed during weekend and the residents all back to their home base. During my time the Hostel never sleeps except during school term break. I saw the same kitchen chimney that cooked my food for three years (1960 – 1962).










I revisited the Hostel after fifty three (53) years.

I stood in front of the Hostel and recollected all the nostalgic memories. I remember the Hostel mates that had been summon to meet Almighty Allah. From sources came to me - Mohamad Abdullah, Sulaiman Sahab, Hamzah De Souza, Fadzli Tajuddin, Jamaluddin Tajuddin, Zahari Yahaya, Suhaimi, Ngah Abdul Wahab, Salam Sarijo, Syed Tajul Ariffin, Baniamin Jalaluddin, Fahami Yahaya, Tamrin Yahaya, Zulkifli Taib and Yaakub Abdul Rahman.

 Alfatihah to all my fallen acquaintance.

We ended the tour of the Hostel by performing the jamak prayer at the Hostel Surau.

I was rather sad to see the Hostel for the very last time. Soon, a new one coming up and I hope it can accommodate more poor students from the rural area.

Hostel Surau
Afternoon session started at 1415 hrs and the formation of the Alumni. Honestly I found it boring and to start with, there was an argument on the naming of the Alumni. The Old Horses of GESS felt rather uncomfortable with the incorporation of Buyung Adil. The Hall was getting warmer, and some of us left the Session and did not returned. We adjourned for drinks at the nearby Coffee shop. I did not know what transpired and the conclusion of the Session.

Whatever, thanks to the Organizing Committee. They managed to round up about 200 of old and young ex students of the School.

At 1615 hrs I hit back the Highway and headed home to Port Klang.

Momento of my presence. 



 Memories of the Hostel.

With late Zahari Yahya 1960.

Hostel Prefect 1960.
Afternoon Prep.

Afternoon Prep.



    

1 comment:

pakmus said...

To all my Hostelmate who have photograph during our era, please wassapp to me so that I can Blog it for everyone to see and recollect our good old days.