Monday, November 2, 2009

The weekend.

Last Saturday morning the clique met Ali Termizi house at 1000 hours. The “akad nikah” ceremony was slightly delayed as the bridegroom was caught in a traffic jam. The Kadhi was right on schedule. It was a solemn ceremony where Ali Termizi himself performed the “akad nikah”, lost his macho and was closed to tears. I know and I understand it wasn’t easy to carry the task for giving away the daughter in marriage. The Marhaban group recited the selawat nabi and marhaban. When all was perfectly done, Imam Khairuddin performed the doa selamat and we adjourned for buffet lunch. We were requested to be present for the night function of the “berinai”.

After zohor and asar respectively, I declined an invitation by Mat Nor Katim and Datok Shaari as I wanted to avoid too much food. The lunch at Ali Termizi house was quite heavy.

After Isyakh, as promised the clique met again at Ali Termizi house. Barbequed lamb was the main menu and that was something that I must avoid. However, I just took few small cuts to satisfy the host. It was tasty and overcoming the temptation I helped myself to more having in mind I would take the crestor before bedtime. (Crestor is my prescribed cholesterol control pill). Wahab and Haji Nazri took on the mike at the karaoke set but Ali Termizi sent his son instead, as his proxy. I was safe as I was in my jubah and kopiah Turki. There was laughter, anticipation and excitement when Imam Khairuddin unwinds his serban. There was no way he would do it as it would be on the front page of Sinar Harian the next day.

Back home, MU was playing Blackburn late. I stayed awake watching the game and MU won with only 2 goals. Prior to that I was in time watching Liverpool got clobbered by Fulham by 3-1. Liverpool ended up playing with nine men as two were red carded. The fate of Rafael Benitez during the coming days would be interesting to follow.

Sunday – the program was the “khatam koraan” at 1000 hours. I absconded as I slept late. Sabirin called and together we attended Ali Termizi main function at 1230 hours. The weather was very accommodating and I met several faces from Lembaga Pelabuhan Klang who had long retired. I met Capt Anis and asked about his handicap. He told me, two? We all laughed when Capt Anis commented about Ali Termizi game. Ali can play well and start good but cannot last long. The Marhaban group was busy assisting Ali Termizi ushering the guests. Ali Termizi showed me his VVIP guest, but how come the VVIP was serving himself at the buffet? Both of us laughed. The VVIP was the most controversial specimen in the Kampong. There were few that came to the wrong house as there was another similar wedding function down the road.

The rest of the afternoon was solely recuperating. I had overdosed myself with food for the past two days. After Isyakh there was another invitation by Haji Shahabudin who would be going for Haj. I went home straight from the Mosque and watch the new Astro channels that I just got.

Next weekend there is another invitation in store, all the way from Port Dickson. No specific plan yet and Mak Itam would be disappointed if I did not turn up. Mak Itam was the Bachelor Mess Cleaner when I was a bachelor boy in Port Dickson. Her granddaughter is getting married and I know the bride parents. It is rather difficult not to attend as the bride’s father himself conveyed the invitation with a salam from Mak Itam.

No comments: