Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Battle at Kuala Trengganu.

Datuk Wan Ahmad Farid of Barisan Nasional(BN) and Mohd Abdul Wahid Endut of PAS under the umbrella of Pakatan Rakyat would be contesting against each other for the coming bye election on 17th January 2009. Someone is also contesting the election under an Independent candidate. I don’t bother to know his name because he is a sure looser and just want to get cheap publicity. First time, his face appeared in TV and picture in the newsprint. He definitely going to see his deposit forfeited. Stupid, isn’t it? Rather utilize the money to perform an “umrah”.

My prediction and I hope PAS would win the election, no matter the number of majority votes. Dr Mahathir once said, even with one vote majority, the winner is still the winner. I have nothing against UMNO or Barisan Nasional but I despised the people and the way they manage the party now especially after the Mahathir era. I was an UMNO party member, first political party I joined during the 60s.until UMNO was declared illegal. I followed Tengku Razaleigh and joined Semangat 46. When Semangat 46 and Tengku Razaleigh chickened out and ran back to UMNO, I was left with no political party. I don’t bother and I concentrated on my career. Until recently, retired and after the 2008 election, I finally joined PAS. My younger brother is a strong UMNO member with position in the Division of Taiping. I can hardly wait to show him my PAS membership card.

Why don’t I join UMNO? That’s a good question. I don’t like the way they run the party now. For instance, in Kampong Raja Uda, they have seven branches. Mind you, seven! What for? The answer is six Branches were purposely created by the Division Head. It was only one Branch in Kampong Raja Uda before and the Branch Head did not get along well with the Division Head. So, the Division Head purposely created another six branches within the kampong. By doing so, there will be twelve extra delegates eligible to vote for the Division Head post. Since those six branches were created by the Division Head himself, surely he could get the majority of twelve votes from the seven branches. Member’s subscriptions from these branches are taken care by the Branch Head and the Division Head take care of the Branches Head. The Division Head position is secured. Projects allocated to Division Head are distributed to Branch Heads. That’s how UMNO being manage and operate, the more branches created, the more secured is the position of Division Head. To oppose an incumbent Division Head in any Division is very difficult and the only way out is to buy votes and the incumbent himself, to maintain his position also had to pay. That’s where money politic comes in. The more money you are willing to pour, the more chances you can be return. This process goes a long way up to national level. If UMNO going to taste glory days of the past, they have to completely revamp the system. That’s my honest feeling.

Whatever said, I still thank UMNO as a political party of the Tun Razak era, only the people who manage UMNO now that I am against. I tasted the fruits of National Economic Policy, my son had a scholarship for his University education and I had a good job in a Private sector. Pre 1969, the Malays could never dream holding prominent post in the private sector. Am I ungrateful? I don’t think so, I paid for them indirectly. I paid my income tax and other tax and toll regularly and as a wage earner there was no escape. I smoke and I have several cars running on petrol, therefore I contribute to the Government coffer. Thank God I have withdrawn all my EPF money and they cannot use my money to help the poor manage Government Link Companies (GLC).

Why I join PAS? Simple, I want to be an opposition. I want to see justice done and I can voice my dissatisfaction. In UMNO, I cant. The system had been tabulated by the Division Head and once you oppose, you are waylaid. You are considered as anti establishment within UMNO. I subscribe to “Hudud” law. For a start, it may be difficult but it is good for all. One simple example: once you are in your house at night, you are back to jail because your houses are all barricaded by steel bars. If you have “hudud”, no one dare to sneak into your house and we don’t need the grill anymore. The word thieves would be an alien. I know for the fact to implement “hudud” is near impossible in Malaysia because PAS alone cannot pass the enactment in Parliament. PAS put up only sixty candidates for the General Election and even if all returned there would be insufficient hands to pass the enactment. You need a two third majority. That’s where UMNO as a dominant Allah fearing party should subscribe to “hudud” and support PAS to implement “hudud” in Malaysia. For a start, let’s start with the “Muslim Only”, first. Later on, if other races or religious believe find it good, then they too can adapt. After all, all religions are teaching towards good thing. No religion is teaching its good to have illegitimate children or having sex freely with any Mary, Ah Moi and Tingachi.

I wish good luck to Wahid Endut and I hope one more seat for the Opposition in Parliament. One headache less for DSAI, and one headache more, for Kinabinatangan.

No comments: