Thursday, January 29, 2009

CHINESE NEW YEAR 2009.

The first Chinese New Year 2009 was a very quiet affair. Surprisingly, I could sleep well on the eve because the banging of firecrackers was very much less than the noises made during the couple of years. I send my normal greetings to all my Chinese friends vide emails and short messages. I decided not to visit any open house and in the afternoon, I took the trip to Putrajaya. It was about a year ago I last visited the place and keen to see the latest development.

We had lunch by the lake food court and enjoyed the beautiful sunny afternoon from the fully air condition food court. Since we were there, we went on the 1430 hours lake cruise. The catamaran was fully occupied and we had a busload of Taiwanese tourists. The cruise took us about 45 minutes and crossed under 3 bridges. As explained by the Tourist Guide, the deepest point of the lake is 45 feet deep and they have about 36 species of tropical fish aqua cultured in the lake, the most dangerous is “toman”. Swimming and fishing is strictly prohibited. The most impressive structure by the lake is the under construction Tengku Mizan Mosque. I asked the Tourist Guide the justification of another Mosque by the lake and he told me, the present one is inadequate especially during the month of Ramadhan. I was impressed by the Tourist Guide who gave us a detail briefing of all structures seen from the lake. The most prominent is the Putrajaya International Convention Centre (PICC) perch on the majestic hillock at the end of the lake.

I may visit the lake cruise again and this time for sunset dinner cruise. Sound romantic. If I had cruised on the Nile, Seine, Rhine, Danube and Thames, I don’t think I should not go one at my own backyard.

I must pay my gratitude to my former Prime Minister, Dr. Mahathir Mohamad for converting Batang Benar Estate, into such a marvelous place.


…………………………………………………………..


The second day of Chinese New Year, 27th January 2009, after the Isyakh prayer, the Mosque held an Annual General Meeting to elect the new Committee Members. I stayed away as I don’t see the urgency and the rationale of appointing new Committee when the existing one would expire in May 2009. The Meeting was mooted by the newly elected Kampong Committee which mostly comprised of PAS members and Pakatan Rakyaat. I feel that PAS was trying to show strength and power that they are now in the driving seat, no more UMNO or Barisan Nasional.

It all started sometimes two months ago when forms were distributed by the Kampong Committee for the kampong residents to register as the kampong permanent residents. Some were not keen to register and some just don’t be bothered at all, especially the UMNO members. Little that they knew that the registration process is the authorize document for them to participate in the election of the Mosque Committee. Those who had registered could nominate, seconded, elected and hold position as Committee Members. Those who had not registered could only attend the process as an Observer. When BN was in power in Selangor, pre PRU 13 the Mosque Committee Members was selected by the UMNO Klang Branch Chief. There was no election process whatsoever. Now the process is more democratic.

From my friend who attended the election process, 80% of the new Committee Members returned were from PAS. It was all pre arranged and PAS members, registered residents were the majority at the election process. Therefore, they won most of the nominations. Most incumbent declined being nominated including the Nazir.

I wish the new Committee, the best of luck but I have my reservation. Most of them do not have the experience of Mosque management and since most incumbents were not in the line up, there is no continuity. This may result to disharmony among the community.

Whatever said, I still think, the Mosque is not the place to play politic. Whatever political ideologies we adhered to, in the Mosque we all face the same direction when we pray to Allah. Even though I am a PAS member, I leave my membership at home when I pace my first step to the Mosque.



………………………………………………………………



The third day of Chinese New Year, 28th January 2009, most Chinaman shops remain closed. There was no specific plan and I decided to drop by my friend’s shop. He was just back from the Northern border spending the Chinese New Year holidays with his family.

During the call of zohor azan, we adjourned to Bukit Tinggi Mosque to perform our prayers. As I just finished my pre zohor sunat prayer there was a commotion outside the Mosque. I saw my friend rushing out and I suspected someone had broken into his car. To my surprise, I saw smoke inside the car and the interior was burning. Luckily the wuduk standpipe was nearby and the fire was quickly doused. The console box near the handbrake was destroyed and luckily I stored my hand phone at the front glove box. I quickly retrieved my hand phone otherwise it would be a melted plastic.

After the zohor prayer we accessed the damage and what was important we could start the car. Since Chinaman workshop was still closed, the Sonata would be diagnosis and medicated on the fourth day of Chinese New Year. We adjourned for murtabak lunch and we thanked Allah that the fire started just before the zohor prayer. If it was not noticed earlier, the damages could be severe to my friend’s Sonata as well as to the other cars parked nearby.

No comments: