Thursday, April 29, 2010

37th. Wedding Anniversary.



Goodness me! I did not realize that 28 April 2010 was our 37 wedding anniversary. Only when my daughter came from the Office she congratulated the Mama.

Thirty seven years ago it happened at Telok Panglima Garang, Kampong Simpang on the way to Carey Island. I was twenty seven (27) and she was twenty five (25) when we decided to tie the knot. We met at Port Dickson Negri Sembilan as we were both working there.
.
The bridegroom entourage headed by late Cik Gu Haji Said Osman and wife late Hajjah Azizah Yusuf (the niece of late Pendita Zaaba). We made a stopover at my late uncle’s residence at Jalan Raya Barat Klang, Dato Haji Ghazali Abdullah the Mufti of Selangor. My late father, brother Amran and my KL friends joined us at my uncle’s residence. After light refreshment and immediately after Maghreb the convoy took the Klang Banting road. I remember Haji Mohd Shah Hamzah drove me in his Volvo 144 and my best man was Haji Malek Hussein now a Datuk.

28 April 1973 was only the “akad nikah” ceremony and it was made simple by my in laws. I was fortunate that I had the Mufti of Selangor with me as I was confronted with a small technical problem. The confirmation letter stating that I was a bachelor from the Kadhi’s Office in Port Dickson was accidently left behind at Port Dickson. During normal circumstances, that letter must be produced to the Kadhi or the Naib Kadhi before the “akad nikah” ceremony can proceed. The Telok Panglima Garang Naib Kadhi, Tuan Haji Arshad looked at my uncle the Mufti of Selangor and the Mufti gave his assurance that the letter would be handed the following day. The ceremony proceeds as planned and what a relieved.

Tuan Haji Arshad took my hand and solemnly recite the “akad nikah” and with one saying (lafaz) yours truly passed through and the witnesses declared valid. I think no one dared to contest as the Mufti was right in front of me. Whatever, I answered the “ijab kabul” loud and clear and I forgot how many times I had practiced over and over the verses to be said.

Dinner was served and the main attraction was fresh water prawns (udang galah) from the nearby Sungai Langat. My best man, Malek Hussein was enjoying the “hidang pengantin” (bridegroom dinner) and poor me, I had to control my urge and my stature as many eyes were focusing on me.
.
One year later, on 1 April 1974, we were blessed with the first child and about a year later 27 June 1975 with the second and factory ceased production.
.

Thirty seven (37) years of up and down but we remain intact. We went through good and bad times and we are still sharing the same bed and bathroom. I had proven a lot of people wrong. I hope to see the golden jubilee, insyaalah (GOD willing).
.
.

No comments: