Monday, November 29, 2010

Up North.


Happy day.

We left early at 0800 hours on 27 November 2010 for Nibong Tebal Seberang Prai Polis IPK. Along the highway we stopped by at Kuala Kangsar Riverside R & R for refreshment. The R & R had been renovated and was surprised but glad to see the various fruit stalls and the Food kiosks are now very well organized. It is good for the country’s image especially to foreigners and local tourists on their way up north.

Haji Fisol and Hajjah Khalidah were very pleased to see our presence that made the journey all the way from Port Klang. With the PLUS Highway it was not a problem at all. The wedding function of Haji Fisol’s daughter was held inside the IPK complex and security as concern it was excellent. Simple setup but the reception was overwhelming. Haji Fisol a Sergeant attach to Polis Di Raja Malaysia had served three (3) sessions as UN Peacekeeper at Timor Leste. Police personnel of all ranks from various stations attended the reception.






After the luncheon and “bersanding” we hit back the highway and we stopped again at the Kuala Kangsar Riverside R & R. The idea was to pack for dinner later in Ipoh. I did not miss the “gulai tempoyak”, my favorite. We toured the various stalls and was attracted to the beautiful decorative craftsmanship of “labu sayong” cum lampshade and decided to pick a set. Though it was a little bit overpriced, I considered it was my contribution to my countrymen local industries. Next time around, I will go to Sayong itself.


We put a night in Ipoh at my mother’s place - balik kampong. We had family dinner and pep talk about various family matters.

Sad day.

After breakfast the next morning 28 November 2010, my cousin Dato Malek Ahmad send a message that my grand aunty Hajjah Halimah aged 92 had passed away in Kampong Pauh, Behrang Station. It was ethical to pay our last respect and attended her funeral. Together with my mother, niece Arfah Harun and Brother Mahmud I drove all the way south to Behrang Station. Hajjah Halimah was the last surviving of my paternal senior generation. She was the sister in law of my late grandfather.

The last time I met Opah Limah, she advised me to get to know all the relatives on her side fearing that we may lost and break the chain of the blood relationships. “Karam nanti kita weh” she said.

Her funeral also gave me the opportunity to meet and be acquainted with my long lost relatives from my father’s side. To some, it was the first encounter and we started asking each other who are/were your parents and how are you related with Opah Limah? One cousin lives nearby to Port Klang, in Meru Klang but it was the first time that I met him. After her “jenazah” left the house for the Mosque at 1400 hours I drove back to Ipoh as later in evening I had to make the journey home all the way to Port Klang from Ipoh. I had to skip the solat jenazah and the burial ceremony as time constraint. My other half and my daughter were left behind in Ipoh. Apparently my brother and sister from Kuala Lumpur arrived later in Kampong Pauh and were in time to pay their last respect, perhaps the burial. We had left Kampong Pauh earlier and did not get to meet them. We reached Ipoh at 1530 hours and finally had late lunch.

Left Ipoh at 1700 hours, the usual tropical rain along the Titiwangsa Range and a bumper to bumper piled up along the highway slowed our journey. We broke journey at Ulu Bernam R & R for refreshment and dinner.

We hit base at 2100 hours.

No comments: