Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Reunion.

The Host & wife.


The Pengantin.

Manan Buyong of Kampong Sekkah, Ulu Behrang in the Diostrict of Tanjong Malim and the state of Perak held a wedding reception of his daughter on 29 January 2011. I last met Manan in 1962, my two years junior when I stayed in the same School Hostel in Tapah from 1960 – 1962 during my Lower Secondary . We went our separate ways and just came to know our existence through friends. I went to Technical Institute Penang and he went to MCKK. Somehow this time around, Manan managed to get my contact number and invited me and the rest of the Hostel resident’s of era 1960 to 1964 to his daughter's wedding.

I was excited to meet my old Hostel colleagues and I arranged with Amran Din and Shariff @ Awang @ Porcupine to go all the way to Ulu Behrang. We rendezvous at Bukit Sentosa and we headed north to Perak.

We arrived at about 1240 hours and Manan who was fifty years older since I met him was there to welcome the 65 years greyed hair old man, the retired Broadcaster and Awang the Porcupine. There was a short greeting with Brigadier General (Rtd) Dato Daud Ariffin as he had to attend to another function. We were ushered to the last tent where the rest of the ex Hostel residents congregated.

There were shouts from all corners to greet our arrival. I have not changed much except for my grey hair. The problem was they could easily recognize me but I don’t. There was Kamaruddin Mydin (Kama Nana - the sprinter), Kamaruddin Ibrahim ( Kama Garok – the self made Engineer), Desa Cameron of Hotel Merlin chain, Hatim Tai (ex Army), Lotfi Tajuddin (ex Banker), Jefrul Tarikh Ahmad (ex polis DiRaja), Saadullah (Nyak ), Ismail Zainal Abidin (Mael Sxxxxt the Healer) and the once small boy, Suffian Hashim.

Amran Din, me and Lotfi Tajuddin.

Front Row: Mokhtar Ibrahim, Me, Kama Nana, Lotfi Tajuddin.

Back Row: Kama Garok, Desa Cameron, Amran Din, Saadullah.

Then Yazid Basir came with his crutches due to an accident, Khazin Hassan (KTM), Ishak Bxx Cxxk, Shaari, Halim Said and Mokhtar Ibrahim. The profile of Mokthar Ibrahim was completely changed from the 60s era. It took me several minutes to figure out who he was. We recollected the good old times not forgetting to acknowledge those who had passed away. I brought along several photographs from the Hostel days and we were laughing all out seeing how we looked 50 years ago.


Mokhtar Ibrahim and Ismail Zainal Abidin.

The last to join us was Madame Alma Mustaffa, a very special guest, the darling of the school. Alma was the energetic and active sportswoman during school days. She chose teaching as her profession and now fully retired. She cancelled all her appointment, coming all the way from KL alone to attend the wedding to meet us, especially “me” as Manan said. I had not met her since 1962 and we had a lot to talk about recollecting memorable clean outdoor environmental adventures. I inquired from her the well being of her sister Alina and cousin Hendon. All the “crazy” group members still survive today but making our own separate ways living happily ever after. She laughed when I told her at anytime I drive up to Cameron Highland, I always try to locate the Hot Springs.

Madame Alma Mustaffa and the Pengantin.

The three of us from Bukit Sentosa and Alma Mustaffa were the last guests to leave at 1600 hours. Amran, Awang and me went cross country to Slim River town Mosque to perform our jamak. We took the old colonial communist infested highway from Ulu Bernam to Slim River. It disorientated me for a while where I was.

Joined the PLUS Highway and I touched base just before Isyakh after stopping at Ulu Bernam R & R for mee rebus and Bukit Sentosa to pick up my Proton Ferrari.

Amran Din, Lotfi Tajuddin and Jefrul Tarikh.

Mokhtar Ibrahim, Ismail and Shariff @ Awang.

Time really flies and we surely glad that the wedding and the reunion was to bind the long lost comradeship. We hope that it would not stop here and would extend the lost gap of comrade at arm during future occasions. It was during the Hostel days when we were in the early teens that we started to learn about life, studying, eating and playing together. For the reunion on 29 January 2011, I must say thank you to MANAN BUYUNG.


Special memories and Alfatehah to the Comrade that had gone back to meet the Creator:

1) Fadzli Tajuddin 2) Baniyamin 3) Syed Zainal 4) Hamzah De Souza 5) Zahari 6) Mohamad Abdullah 7) Sulaiman Sohab 8) Abdul Salam 9) Tajul Ariffin 10) Ngah Wahab.

12 comments:

mananbuyong said...

Dear Brother Mustapa,that was impressive, that rite-up on our reunion.

I was honoured by the presence of everyone 'from the days of my youth' in GES, Tapah. I was 11 years old when I joined the hostel in Jan. 1960 and left around Jan 1963 when I was going 13.

If not for the fact that I was busy entertainig guests I would have stuck with all of you that came to my daughter's wedding..on the historic 29/01/01 at my house in Kampong SUNGAI SEKIAH, BEHRANG ULU.

Thank you. The photographs are most welcome.(I regret for not using my h/p camera more to capture the images...) I will let the other friends - and a few other friends, people, my children - to surf your blogspot. If they want to know me better then they must know where I came from. And the hostel at GES Tapah in the early 60's was a place I once was.

mananbuyong said...

Sorry, the date shld have been 29/01/11.. The years seems to fly by as I grow older.

pakmus said...

Manan......
I am sorry I did not have the shot of the Host, you were busy then. Therefore I could not post it in my Blog.
Thanks a lot my friend. I was so happy to meet all you guys again after 50 years and I hope it would not end at Kampong Sekkah.

IRASYA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IRASYA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IRASYA said...

You mention about Alma ring a bell about one of our Block C mate with full school uniform went to the door and shouied several times of our Alma name at 2/3 am ( old time then). He used to sign in his name as "It raise some mud" , is he still around Pak Mus? Just an old story that bring back our hostel days !
I hope it will start our friendship all over again again.
Pak Mus can you guess who I am. I can still felt the tight slap I got from Sivasambu for got caught sleeping during study hour hehehe

pakmus said...

Dear IRSSYA,
1) Sorry....... I am trying to figure out who you are. When Sivasambo was the Hostel Master, I already gone to TI Penang. Tambayah was my Hostel Master.
2) Please reveal your identity please.
3) Who was that crazy guy who shouted for Alma at 2/3 in the morning? Perhaps I was no more in the Hostel. I left the Hostel after 4 days in January 1963, Form Four.
4) get in touch, mate.....whoever you are. Ha ha ha......

once the small boy said...

Mus,I've never ever dream of us being reunited after such half a century. Not a surprise that everybody seems to be undergoing the aging process. Anyway, I did really enjoyed and had fun being with all of you. Those are the precious and most memorable moments and I longed to be together again. Since we are counting days hope we can have another reunion. Safian Hashim the once small boy.

once the small boy said...

Mus,I've never ever dream of us being reunited after such half a century. Not a surprise that everybody seems to be undergoing the aging process. Anyway, I did really enjoy and had fun being with all of you. Those are the precious and most memorable moments and I longed to be together again. Since we are counting days hope we can be have another reunion. Safian Hashim the once small boy.

pakmus said...

Safian Hashim,
I always remember you, "the once the small boy". Because of you, I still remember the late Head Boy, Tajul Ariffin sent me to the drain fishing for worms for one month to feed the school aquarium.
BUT now you are much taller than me. No more the small boy I bullied. That was the fun days of Hostel life we had and it was part of growing up.

Irasya said...

Oooo sorry Mus it right it was Mr Thambayah the Hostel Master , when I was out it was Mr Khalid. In between we have Sivasambu. In our days I was name "Hantap"
So I think you know me as we we in the same class , then you were in Ti.

pakmus said...

Shaari "Hantap". OK, now I remember but you were not as naughty as me during my time. Ha ha ha.....