Monday, June 1, 2009

Forgot about Penanti.

Saturday and Sunday were being so busy and I forgotten about Penanti bye election. The bye election was mild and quiet because BN chicken out and the only excitement was Aminah Abdullah an Independent candidate produced “vcd haram”. The national media gave her a very good coverage and she became celebrity overnight.

Saturday afternoon, after the zohor prayer, I had to be at the Kampong Mosque to witness the “akad nikah” ceremony of Haji Wak Salim’s daughter. The ceremony went smoothly with only one declaration of the marriage vow. Adjourned to Wak Salim house as there was “kenduri tahlil” and “doa selamat”. After the Isyakh prayer Raja Sahar, Sabirin, Nan Marine and me went to Wak Salim house for dinner and to render last minute assistance. Wak Salim insisted on community cooking instead of catering. I went home late and manage to catch up the live telecast of FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Everton. This game did not really interest me as Manchester United was not involved.

Sunday morning, I had to attend an engagement ceremony of Ali Termizi daughter. Raja Sahar, Sabirin and me had to chaperon Ali Termizi as most of our colleagues were at Wak Salim house for the “marhaban”. Lunch was served early as we had Wak Salim house to visit. It was only after the zohor prayer I went with my wife to Wak Salim house. The crowd was still there and I caught up with Capt Fauzi who rushed back from his hometown Bagan Serai, in order not to disappoint Wak. The reception reminds me of a typical kampong wedding where the “gotong royong” concept was imported by Wak Salim by his Kuala Selangor clansman. The Javanese community is very close among themselves and they assist and cooperate with each other.

Back home, I followed the bye election live update from several blogs. Just before I went for my maghrib prayer, PKR candidate was comfortably far ahead. The final result: All the three Independent candidates lost their deposits. The voters in Penanti did not buy Aminah propaganda. She even came back second among the three Independent. Now her credibility had gone down the drain as someone who could not be trusted. Never go to her house when she invites you, as there is a hidden camera and audio waiting for your presence. She would later used against you. Though the voter turnout was low, Dr Mansor obtained 5660 majority and he would be appointed as Penang Deputy Chief Minister 1.

The next bye election would be in MU. Manik Urai in Kelantan and this time there would be a fight between UMNo and PAS. Insyaalah, PR would score again, making it 6 – 1 since 12th General Election tsunami.

No comments: