Saturday, June 13, 2009

Migrated to KRU.

I had stayed thirty two (32) years in Kampong Raja Uda which qualify me to be a permanent resident. I decided to make KRU my home since 1 August 1977. My wife was transferred to federal posting in KL on 1 July 1977 and I was seconded to Guthrie Export Port Klang from Guthrie Management Services, KL on 1 August 1977. Since my wife and I were relocated to the Klang Valley, I rented a bungalow at No: 2 Jalan Lengkongan, just opposite the Methodist Boys School and closed to the Fire station. It was late Haji Ghazali Adam wife Hajjah Zakiah Suda who assisted me to get the bungalow. The rental then was only RM 300 per month. My son was three years old and my daughter was two when we arrived at Port Klang. Both my children just had to cross the road to attend their Primary schooling. I stayed eight years at 2 Jalan Lengkongan. I remember one early morning sometimes in 1981, the bungalow shook when there was a loud explosion at the South Port during an inferno.

Mak Midah sundry store was my monthly domestic supplier and Ah Kow would come around daily in his van selling fishes and vegetables. It was sometimes in 1981, Mak Midah introduced me to a Housing Developer and I purchased a double storey house down the road at 128 Jalan Lengkongan. The house was completed in 1984 and I moved in on the Maal Hijrah day. The house is strategically located, just behind the kampong Mosque, opposite the Community Hall and walking distance to Mak Midah sundry store. The house is facing the kampong proper and the frontage neighbor was late Haji Yusof. The family was very close with Haji Yusuf and wife Mak Aji Timah and they took care of our house whenever we were outstation. Haji Yusuf passed away while I was in Medina performing the Haj in 1995 and Mak Aji Timah left the kampong to stay with his daughter. The house where they stayed was sold, demolished and now an eating stall on the plot of land. I have no complained since it is an additional security to my home.

The Ketua Kampong then was late Tok Nan, the Nazir was late Haji Jantan Ismail, the Imam was Ustaz Hashim and the UMNO Chief was Mat Nor Katim. PAS did not exist then in Kampong Raja Uda. The Assistant Imam was Haji Mat Jebah and he looks after welfare of deaths in the kampong. Up to this date he is still dedicated to the job. Late Ustaz Hashim would deliver his kuliah in the Mosque and once a month late Dato Haji Baharom (the Selangor Mufti) would deliver his.

Most of the residents that I associated with at the Mosque had passed away. Namely, Abang Leman (goreng pisang seller) Haji Rabani (the Barber) Mat Deros (Bilal then Imam) Haji Kasim (the Siak) Haji Ibrahim Libya, Haji Baharom, Pak Pin, Haji Zainudin, Raja Sadin (Mosque Treasurer) Haji Mat Yunus (Mosque Secretary) Haji Basir (Mosque Bilal) Haji Ibrahim, Haji Pak Wan (the Siak), Pak Mat Gunting (the Siak) and many more whose name I cannot recall. It was a good community where we were all united. I was one of the youngest in the group then. I was present at all the Mosque functions and contributed at all means affordable. Back stabbing and smear campaign was unheard of.

The original Mosque was small, extended and now a grand RM 12 million Mosque is under way. The initial project was suspended due to the collapsed of BN government in Selangor. Right from the beginning, the Project was controversial because the RM 10.2 million project handed by the state government to late Dato Zakaria Mat Deros family.

As time passed by, the kampong UMNO was broken into seven branches, the adjacent Port Garden decided to build their own Surau and finally PAS set up a Markas in the kampong. Lately the Port Klang Assemblyman from Party Keadilan is the local kampong boy and makes his residence as Keadilan port. The Mosque Committee members are now made of mainly PAS members who create further dissatisfaction and division among the community.

Sad to say, if not check, the kampong residents would disintegrate. Each would go their own way. The harmony of the 80s and 90s are now all gone.

Yours truly comingle freely with everybody immaterial of their political ideology, whether he is from UMNO or PAS. Though some are very suspicious of me, I don’t care a damn; I believe on justice and the right direction towards communal harmony.

No comments: