Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In memory of Chico.

Haji Sabuddin Bidol, all the way from Bintulu sent me a short message that Mazlan bin Baba @ Chico passed away peacefully this morning at Telok Kemang 20 October 2009. I forward the message to Ali Karim but he was in Chengmai Thailand. To Haris Takiman, he was in Kajang and to Kadir Mamak he was in Shah Alam. I called Shariff @ Sharo in Port Dickson and he was on the way to the Market. I told him the sad news and told him to proceed to Telok Kemang and let me know the latest.

I was thinking how to go to PD. I could not drive without being accompanied. I managed to get Pak Long Mustapa who was keen to visit Port Dickson as the last time he went to PD was in 2003. I called Sharo who had already arrived at Telok Kemang and he told me the funeral would be after Zohor. I left Port Klang at 1130 hours vide the Kesas Highway, Elite Highway, KL/Seremban Plus Highway and finally Seremban/ Telok Kemang Highway. Sharo would be waiting for me at the Mamak Restaurant opposite the Telok Kemang Muslim Graveyard. I abided the speed limit and arrived at the appointed Restaurant at 1315 hours. Chico’s body had been taken for the last rite at the Mosque. We decided to wait at the Muslim Graveyard.

I was glad that I had the opportunity to send off my friend, good old Chico. I witnessed his body laid to rest and according to Sharo, Chico passed away due to cancer of the colon but I rather regret that only Sharo and I were the only two ex colleague of Esso PD Refinery attended the funeral service. Where were the rest of his Muslim or non Muslim colleagues?? If someone in Bintulu Sarawak could get the news, I wonder why the PD ex and present Esso employees did not get.

Mazlan bin Baba, born and bred in Telok Kemang, a Malay Kampong just before the famous Si Rusa Inn. He was educated at Port Dickson English School and joined Esso Refiney PD in early 1966 as a process Assistant. He was short, a little less than 5 feet tall and stout. The American Expatriate nicknamed him Chico and that name tagged with him all through his Esso carreer and until to the last day of his life. He would be forever known as Chico. The other two Esso PD Refinery resided at Telok Kemang had also gone before Chico, Ishak Ibrahim and Abu Bakar Aman. That makes all my three acquaintances of Esso and of Telok Kemang had gone back to the Creator.

I first met Chico when I joined Esso Refinery in May 1966 and at that time I was squatting at my Aunty’s place at Telok Kemang. Since we were on the same shift, we cycled together from Telok Kemang to Port Dickson 2nd.Milestone. There was no night bus service then. At night we carried a stick along with us to ward off the dogs. There was no such thing as road lighting and the road were in darkness. Cars on the road could be counted. Sometimes we were stopped by the Military Police as confrontation with Indonesia was not completely over. We were suspected as Indonesian insurgents. The most eerie spot was the Hindu Temple at 5th. Miles.

As years went by, Chico bought a car and I moved to Port Dickson town. The three memories with Chico: Sometimes in 1967, after the 4 – 12 shifts we decided to drive up to Cameron Highland. We left after midnight and arrived at Tanah Rata early morning. At Tanah Rata, Chico completely lost his voice. This guy was always at sea level since birth and for once in his life he was up in the mountain. Due to the sudden height differential, he lost his voice. One night we attended Yaakob Hussein (now, Dato) akad nikah ceremony at Bukit Pelandok. Chico was driving a Vauxhall Viva and when he reversed the car in between the rubber trees, the gear stick completely came off. We struggled to put back the gear stick into its socket in the dark. We laughed together as we related Yaakob’s gear stick came out too soon. Chico was a good company to be with, never smoke, drink or partying. Between him and me it was like the sky and the deep blue sea but we got along fine both at workplace and outside. I will always remember, Chico gave me a telephone number that changed my life. It remains a secret between us until his death. Thank you, Chico and that’s the reason why I must attend your funeral. I would feel guilty if I did not.

Since I left Esso PD Refinery in 1974, I long to meet my good old friend Chico but he never joined the Esso Employees Reunion Gathering and I never got to meet him. Perhaps he was hiding from us that he was sickly and terminal.

May Allah take care of Mazlan bin Baba and let his soul rest in peace with all the “mukminin”.

AL FATHIHAH.

No comments: