Monday, October 12, 2009

Still in the mood.

Sunday October 11, 2009, the open house and the visiting tradition were still on. I planned a quiet Sunday, stayed home and watched TV. It was not so, as several impromptu program came up.

Sabirin invited to his open house at 1400 hours. We had “nasi briyani” for lunch and Imam Khairuddin read the doa selamat. Only among very close friends were invited.

After Asar, my son came back as his aunty Datin Maimunah made a prior arrangement to meet him in my house. I don’t know what transpired between them. My wife was short of menu and I suggested noodle soup. Later, my brother in law and his wife, the Dato and Datin came after visiting the kampong folks and we had a mini family gathering and a noodle soup to address.

They left just before Maghreb.

Suddenly Haji Mat Saleh Jani, my Haj roommate 1999 called and he wanted to drop by at my house for Hari Raya. He would be bringing along five of his six kids. When Haji Mat Saleh arrived the family was so excited to meet the five kids. They were so cute and up and about. I had only met one of the five and the rest was new arrivals since Haji Mat Saleh brought his family to my house. I enjoyed watching the kids enjoying the noodle soup and it was a good decision to have that as the day menu.

They left before Isyakh.

My mood changed.

The phone rang and the news transmitted - Haji Mustapa Mohamed 59 the elder brother of the Ketua Kampong passed away just before Maghreb. Haji Mustapa was married to a Kelantanese but he never tasted and disliked “budu”. When we were in Kota Baharu Kelantan about two years ago, during lunch, I added “budu” to my plate of rice and Haji Mustapa followed suit. Later I asked him whether he knew what he was eating and to his surprise I told him it was “budu”. We had a good laugh.

Monday October 12, 2009 I bid farewell to Haji Mustapa right to the grave. Al fatihah to Ustaz Mustapa Mohamed.

When I visited the house where Haji Mustapa was lying in state, my friends were eager to meet me to shake my hands. Most of them thought, it was me that had the heart attack because of the name similiraity and the demise Haji Mustapa, though he was originally from the kampong but he resides somewhere else. Most of them double checked to ensure the right Haji Mustapa. When the "talkin" was read they looked at me and smiled.

My time will come, surely.

No comments: