Wednesday, May 27, 2009

An encounter with the CEO.


Late 1989 I had the opportunity to visit Guthrie USA main office at Tuscon Arizona. On the last night of my visit I was invited by the President, Dick McCoy for dinner at his beautiful mansion overlooking the Arizona desert. I waited at the Hotel lobby and the Vice President Ted Pressler arrived in a chauffeured limousine. My first time in an American limo and I thanked Ted. Ted said not to worry as Guthrie was paying. Ted, Gula (Ted’s girlfriend) and me made our way up the mountain slope. The night scenery of Tuscon down below was fantastic as we maneuvered and we sipped wine along the way.


Dick was at the door step to welcome me and being Malay I wanted to take off my shoes as I entered the hall. I forgot I was in an American home and you do not need to take off the shoes. We had dinner and Mrs. McCoy acknowledged that she had a Muslim guest and she did her best to prepare as halal as possible. After dinner we adjourned to the bar for casual and light business discussions. At one instant, I told Dick I was not feeling comfortable in his home. He was shocked and laughed when I told him I was not used to wearing shoes in a house. Ted and me downed several bottles of beer but Dick was on whisky and he had one too many. He began to run out off topic. I had to control myself as I did not want to misbehave. I was upright but a little groggy when we left Dick’s mansion sometimes around midnight. No wonder Ted Pressler ordered the chauffeured limousine. The seven footer Mat Salleh chauffer opened and closed the door for a five footer Melayu.


One week later there was a Board Meeting in Tuscon and all the Malaysian Directors and the CEO was present in Tuscon. Dick did not keep his mouth shut and he told Tan Sri Ani Arope about my last week visit and related to Tan Sri that the guy could hold his drinks well and preferred him to work with Guthrie USA.


When the Board members came back to Malaysia I had two calls, one from the Marketing Director and the other the Plantation Director. The Marketing Director, my Boss told me that I would not be transferred to US as per Dick request. The Plantation Director told me that Ani Arope would like to know who the Malay Muslim Mat Salleh based at Port Klang? Finally Tan Sri Ani Arope knew who I was when I was singled out by the Plantation Director to pose a question to the CEO during a luncheon gathering at Tropicana Golf Club.


To cut the story short, the Muslim Mat Salleh was transferred to Wisma Guthrie in Damansara as Distribution Manager on 1st. August 1990. It was customary for newly transferred Manager at Wisma Guthrie to have lunch with the Board of Directors after the monthly meeting. I was not spared and Tan Sri Ani Arope was waiting for the opportunity. It was a buffet lunch and as I was queuing among the Directors, Tan Sri commented that they don’t served beer for lunch only sky juice and orange juice available. I knew it was meant for me. Tan Sri purposely invited me to sit right beside him and honestly I did not enjoy my lunch. Tan Sri was relating stories during his younger days when he played prank to a drunkard toddy drinking Indian. I knew he wanted to get the message through to me.


Tan Sri Ani Arope hates drinkers and smokers and I was having both. Being in Marketing Division I had to socialize a lot, meeting clients and potential clients. I am what I am and I am no hypocrites or angels. I just don’t smoke and drink in front of Ani Arope, that’s all.


During Tan Sri Ani Arope farewell gathering, Tan Sri came up to me personally touched my left chest and asked me to look after what is inside. I acknowledged his concern with thanks.


Tan Sri Ani Arope left Guthrie but I would always remember the luncheon bashing. Looking back it was just an indirect advice with sincerity from someone senior. In October 2003, I had a mild stroke. Perhaps Tan Sri Ani Arope was right.


Note:

1. Tan Sri Ani Arope – the CEO, now retired and I heard he had taken up flying.

2. Dick McCoy – President Guthrie USA, passed away in Bangkok.

3. Ted Pressler – Vice President Guthrie USA, now became an Archeologists.

4. How Wan Hong – Marketing Director, retired and resides in Taman Tun Ismail.

5. Ismayudin Manan – Plantation Director, a Director of DRB Hi Com and resides at Staffield Country Home in Nilai.

6. Mustapa Hamid – the Muslim Mat Salleh, retired and hibernating at Kampong Raja Uda, Port Klang.

No comments: