Sunday, July 5, 2009

All of a sudden.

Yesterday while relaxing on Saturday, July 04, 2009 I browsed the email and I got one that came from an ex colleague in Guthrie, now Sime Darby. My former Senior Assistant, Patrick Tan Hock Guan who stays nearby is not in good shape and asked whether I knew about it and whether I had visited him? I immediately contacted Pat on the hand phone but received no reply. I called the email sender to inquire further details. Received the confirmation and I called Termizi - Pat usual golf kaki. Termizi was also in the dark about Pat ailment and confirmed that he would come down immediately to my house so that both of us could pay Pat a visit.

Arriving at Pat house, he was shocked to see us but we were equally shocked to see him running down a lot of weight and his face was rather pale. He used to be healthy, strong and a non smoker. It broke my heart to see Pat in that condition. He is a good friend, was my subordinate, and once my golf kaki. The first symptom was he felt very tired after a round of golf at Frasers Hill on May Day Holiday and on 13 May 2009 after a thorough medical checkup the Doctors diagnosed Pat has problem with his liver. He tires very easily and loosing appetite. Currently he is on medical leave, home rest and on strong medication. I nearly fell off from the chair when the medication he takes cost him RM 26,000.00 per month. The skin at his fingers is peeling off and he even lost his thumb print. I was joking with him hoping that my cigarettes smoke is not the cause of his liver problem. We had good time at work, at the golf course and sometimes Member of the Bar Council.

We encouraged Pat to be strong and do not let the ailment affect him psychologically. At this initial stage, Pat ailment is not known to many, except someone close to him. I related to him about my experience when I was struck with a mild stroke way back in October 2003. I know it is being very difficult when suddenly an ailment strikes just like that. The world seems to be unfair and one keep asking, why me? I was so jealous when I saw an old man cycling around, happily and healthy. The biggest worry when I think of close friends going to abandon me. Pat has to focus and think positive that he would recover. Have faith in GOD. Pat disadvantage is the disability to exercise due to getting weary easily. I understand having visitors and explaining about the ailment is actually boredom. I advised him not to isolate himself and at anytime he needs my assistance I am always around. He knows my contact number.

Patrick was my office mate when I moved to Wisma Guthrie and when I was relocated to Port Klang he was the Assistant then Senior Assistant until I retired in December 2000. He was supposed to take over from me as the Manager of the subsidiary but due to internal politics orchestrated by the Divisional Director he was instead relocated to Wisma Guthrie, Damansara Heights at the Marketing Divisions. He was a team player when we were working together and there were many beneficial changes we made for the Subsidiary Company. Pat is on two year extensions with Sime Darby expiring 2010 February.

We wish Pat nothing but the very best, to take good care of his well being and one of the advice to keep the bathroom door always unlocked. He looked very sleepy and tired; we left Pat to take his rest.

Termizi, (nickname, Ah Chong) and I adjourned for an evening drink and we talked about the good and bad time of the good old days in Guthrie. We are both Guthrie Retirees, the few dedicated, clean and the faithful.

No comments: