Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Golf for Retirees.

For the past several days I received one sms and three phone calls inviting me to play golf this Sunday, 20 December 2009 organized by Sime Darby for Retirees of Guthrie, Golden Hope and Sime Darby. The Venue is Saujana Impian Golf Course Kajang, once belong to Golden Hope and now Sime Darby.

Yours truly had lain off golf since 09 October 2003. That very afternoon I had an appointment to play golf with three other friends at the Port Klang Golf Resort and at 0800 hours I was struck by a mild stroke. My left eye was badly affected (now corrected by laser operation) and I saw double. I could not address which balls as I saw two. The other two balls were however not seen, well hidden. I transferred all my golf kit into the Store Room and it remained there since.

I started golf in 1990 when I was transferred to Wisma Guthrie and the first Course I ever stepped in was at Frasers Hill. Ben and I never hold a golf club before in our lives. My first tee off was a couple of feet away but when Ben tee off it landed on the 9th green. Those who had played at Frasers Hill Course would know that the 1st hole tee off is quite near to the 9th green. So, Ben completed the whole Course with only just one stroke. CK Cheah and ST Woon were our Pro. We completed the nine holes course with plenty of laughter. It was not that easy that I expected. Since I was so used to playing hockey and cricket, I never could master the correct golf swing, ever.

Later I used to frequent Morib Golf Club and Kampong Kuantan Golf Club an affiliation Club to my Membership at Dublin Golf Club and Harvard Golf Club. Don’t be fooled, it is not in Ireland and US. It is Guthrie Golf Clubs in Kedah. I was never a serious golfer and just played for the fun of it and the lowest handicap ever achieved was 22. I just wanted to sweat it out. The worst experience I ever played was at Kuala Pilah Golf Course when I developed high temperature after the game. It was not once but twice. I understand the Course is haunted but I bulldozed my way through like a Hero without respecting the permanent residential demons. At one instant I was standing by the green when my friend chipped in the ball and it went straight heading for my tummy. Either he miscued or invisible forces sent the ball straight to its intended target. No more third visit for me at Kuala Pilah. My golf set had been on the plane to Phuket and Pattaya. Not forgetting Alor Star when the plane load of Guthrie Executives attended the Harvard Club EGM to close off the former Club. Once I was with the Chief Internal Auditor on the way back from Penang after a Court case, we decided to detour to Cameron Highland just to play the highland course. I had a major problem as at every hole it had to cross the same river and the Orang Asli Caddy did not of any assistance for they only thing they master is to carry the golf set.

For the 20th December, I would let the Retirees enjoy themselves and I beg to decline. However I was invited for the Luncheon but sorry no thank you. As much as I would like to meet my ex colleagues but I have something else more important to do, two weddings to attend.

No comments: