Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tsunami.

Five years ago the power of water shocked the whole world. From the earthquake at the ring of fire off Sumatran west coastal line the power of water at the speed of 800 km per hour banged several shores at several countries. The worst was Acheh followed with Phuket. I was shocked to see Patong beach was swept away. I once roamed the beach and had stayed at Patong Holiday Inn. That was sometimes in 1993 when I accompanied Reggie Slavin, Vice President Operations of Guthrie Latex Incorporation USA. My several visit after that I stayed at Metropole Hotel located in the city center.

I don’t know about Aceh for I never been there. For Phuket - the Patong beach that I know is one crazy place and Heaven to some. The night was livelier than the day and the whole beach decorated by lights and girlie bars. The blaring of music deafens the ears to attract the fun lovers. Imitation goods were on sale openly. Just name the brand and they were available on the rack. It was like I was in Hawaii where they were more Whites than Asians. Women, wine and songs was synonymous to Patong Beach and I am not surprise GOD swept it away to show thee power.

The power of tsunami has a warning, an earthquake or volcano eruption. It is a question whether we have the time to run to higher ground. I am living by the coast of Straits of Melaka and if there is a tsunami, most likely it would reach my home. Help me GOD. During my working days, during October it was routine for me to address the seasonal high tide (pasang kling) and all ground equipment and machineries had to be removed and stored on dry ground. There was no way for anybody to stop the high tide from coming in. However the Marine Department Tide Table was very useful for my guidance. We can stop fire by drowsing it with water but we cannot stop the tide. The tide is a mini tsunami.

Five years ago when the tsunami struck I did not lose anybody that I know. However, to all the innocents’ victim let’s say our silent prayer that Almighty Allah would take care of them.

Alfathihah…………

No comments: