Saturday, May 14, 2011

Down South.

It had been ages since I stepped on Pasir Gudang. Someone invited me for companion to Johore Port and gladly obliged. I was one of the pioneers attached on a startup project in Pasir Gudang from December 1974 to July 1977 with a Company within the Lembaga Pelabuhan Johor complex.

I anxiously wanted to see what Pasir Gudang and the Port as of now. I had nostalgic memories of Pasir Gudang where I shed my sweat and tears. Masai the Cowboy cum Smugglers town nearest to Pasir Gudang was my hideout during the God forsaken assignment. I wanted to walk down the memory lane. Johore Port then was in a middle of nowhere. The Port project was initiated by late Tun Razak to facilitate shipments operations for southern Peninsular Malaysia Importers and Exporters. It also acts as an alternative hub and even competition to Singapore Port.

I also happen to know someone who joined Johor Port recently, an ex Guthrien and a close buddy. He was just a junior Executive in Guthrie during the 90s and now a big man holding prominent position. I contacted for a meeting appointment and confirmed by the Secretary at 1200 hrs on 12 May 2011. What are friends for?

The haze originated from Riau Province in Sumatra accompanied our journey all the way down south. Heading for Pasir Gudang Port is very much simpler now compared to those times in history. This time around, before Johore Baru, we just exit left from the PLUS Highway and drove straight on to the Port. During the inception of Pasir Gudang way back in 1974, the route started from Jalan Tebrau in Johor Baru heading for Kota Tinggi, turned right passed by the cowboy towns of Plentong and Masai and then turned right and left to the Port. The lonely road was among rubber estates and several sharp corners. Now the road is two lanes highway. Housing Estates, Hotels, condominium and industries flank both sides of the Highway. I was shocked with the massive development the State Government had undertaken. I don’t have to pass through Plentong and Masai town anymore to get to Pasir Gudang. I never imagined such thing is happening.

The old but young buddy was very receptive of my arrival and we had a brief informal meeting at his office as it was close to lunch time. In between, we recalled the common joke and laughed about the “short one” and “I had planned” during our Guthrie days. We adjourned for lunch at Kedai Rahmat at nearby Kampong Pasir Putih. The Seafood Restaurant situated just opposite Pulau Ubin, an island belongs to Singapore. The specialty here is deep fried kerapu. I had been here sometimes in 1976 and the Restaurant had expanded. To my amazement there is a town in Pasir Putih. During my time around here, it was only kampong houses and a fishing village. The only thing that was familiar is the Muslim Cemetery but the number of tombstones had increased.

Fishing boats at Pasir Putih.

Johor port at the background.

One of the Seafood Restaurants and at the background is Pulau Ubin Singapore.

(the haze spoiled the above three views).

Rahmat Seafood Restaurant, Kampong Pasir Putih.

I passed by the Company that I was involved during the startup as well as the initial operations and proud to see not only it is still there; it had undergone major expansion and recently received an International Award in Paris. Congratulation!

After lunch we resumed the discussion in my friend’s office. It was finalized at 1530 hrs and we headed back to the north. We broke journey for tea and solat jamak at Pagoh R&R. Certain stretch along the Highway back to Port Kelang was raining and the Driver was cautioned to be more vigilant.

We hit base just before isyakh, in time for Maghreb. The journey down south was successful with several promising outcome and opportunities arises. Probably there will be more visits.

No comments: