Monday, February 22, 2010

Ex Guthrien met.

I spent the Sunday evening at the biggest Jaya Jusco Jalan Banting to get some toiletries from the Body Shop. Shasha tagged along for her routine Sunday outing.













Carey Island Golf Clubhouse. (Heritage Building).

I bumped into Azman ex Guthrien who was the Harvard Jerai Golf Course Superintendent. He is now managing the Property Division of Sime Darby Plantations at Carey Island. He’s responsible of the eighteen holes Golf Course, the Heritage Buildings and Visitors Coordinator. A good friend of mine as we were in the same Company of Kumpulan Guthrie Bhd. During my routine visit to Bedong Rubber Factory I used to stay at the Harvard Suasana Hotel and he always ensure I had a good round of the eighteen (18) holes there. At night we ventured for the local delicacies around Sungei Petani or Gurun. Local delicacies means, food. My favorite is the shell less crabs.

Now that Azman is in Carey Island I would love to visit that Island again. Used to be an island before but Golden Hope Plantation built a bridge connecting the Island with Teluk Panglima Garang hinterland. The last time I was on the island was sometimes in 2000 and at that time it was only a nine (9) holes golf course. I admire the Scottish type Bungalows and the Golf Course Clubhouse. It is a heritage and I hope Sime Darby retain those buildings. I am more interested to visit the Mahameri tribe on the island where their craftsmanship being UNESCO recognized. Azman informed me that he would be please to show me as the Mahameri tribe settlement is one of the visitor’s itineraries.





The wooden carvings by the Mahameri tribe.




We adjourned to JJ Shopping Complex balcony for a drink, cigarettes, catching up with old times and current development with Sime Darby. Kumpulan Guthrie was eaten up by Sime Darby together with Golden Hope. Not many of the Guthrie Managers during my time still exist in service with Sime Darby. The Senior Assistants of those times that I was not familiar with are the Managers today. By blink of an eye, it had been ten (10) years that I was retired off.

It was nice to meet old Friends.

No comments: