Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tahlil Arwah for Kakak.

Every Monday and Wednesday evening after Isyakh, we meet at the Mosque both participant members and associates to practice the marhaban. The associate members just busy hanging around fostering Islamic harmony among them.

1 February 2010 Monday I decided to sponsor the food and drink for the Marhaban group and at the same time I requested Imam Khairuddin to recite the tahlil and doa for my late sister Hajjah Haslah. It was meant to be a simple and small gathering among us about fifteen. Initially I ordered “roti canai” but Yusuf, the Siak without my knowledge added fried rice to the menu. In the meantime, to play safe as supplementary I had ordered twenty dollars worth of “fried meehoon” at the Warong near the Mosque. When Yusuf told me about the fried rice, the additional menu, I quickly asked him to cancel the “roti canai”.

My friend Haji Kemat having known about my program, he kindly sponsored boiled tapioca with home cooked sambal and salted fish. In addition he took pain to buy a comb of “pisang berangan”.

After the Isyakh prayer, all set for the small feast and the tahlil. It was only meant to be among us but few sat along uninvited. No problem with me but a little bit uncomfortable, afraid there would be insufficient food to go around. Haji Khairuddin performed the tahlil and doa. After completion I just thanked Imam Khairuddin but dare not stood up to say a few words of thanks to those presence because I would embarrassed someone. Those who came uninvited did not know it was my sponsorship function and those people hate my guts and so do I. The feeling is mutual. Before dispersing, only the Nazir came to say a word of thanks to me, the rest just walked off just like that. In this world you are bound to meet with all sort of characters.

Whatever, since it was a “tahlil arwah” for my late sister, there is no malice on my part but I was feeling rather uncomfortable for they should know it was a private function. Luckily the simple food served, was enough for everybody. We had fried rice, fried meehoon, boiled tapioca, banana and plain tea to drink. Simpler than a kampong kenduri.

(The Marhaban Members and Associates are subscribed members of RM 10 per month).

A simple last minute function turned to be a gathering of about 30 to 40 people and I am afraid some Jemaah having the impression that they were not on my invited lists. It was only meant for the Marhaban group and it was our normal twice weekly private program and I just took the opportunity to slot in my function. The turnout was beyond my expectation and logical thinking. I am sure someone is going to confront me at the Mosque. Only my closest of friend, by word of mouth attended besides the Marhaban Members and Associates.

That would be my first and last function organized at the Mosque. I would revert to the old practice of holding tahlil and feast in my house where I know whom to invite, budget the food and prepare the best for my guests.

No comments: