Saturday, April 11, 2009

Badak berendam.

The Saturday afternoon was occupied attending a khenduri tahlil at my cousin’s place at Damansara Heights. The feast also coincided with 36 years wedding anniversary of Datok Malek and Datin Zawiyah and an engagement of Irman, their second son.

Function started at 1130 hrs with the tahlil followed by buffet luncheon. Close relatives and friends were there and to me it is always a pleasure meeting the kinsmen to catch up with the latest news. It was very nice to see the elder statesman and the juniors mixing in tandem exchanging the topics of the day. Jeffrul, Malek younger brother, hot topic was his golf adventures and he always catches me to be his sparring mate. We chatted and laughed at his jovial antics. He commented that I look very much fitter after the mild stroke and asked me what the secret is. Jokingly I told him I gave up golf of which he totally disagreed. My two elder brothers were present too so as the uncles and aunties. Politics, though discussed but not that sensational. The juniors mostly talked about the latest of the British Premier League that caught the common interest of the seniors as well.

There was plenty of food on the table and of several varieties. The beef rending, gulai nangka, ayam masak merah and pecal. We have various ulam kampong came with tempoyak masak. For dessert, Datin Zawiyah knew that my favourite kuih was badak berendam and she specially ordered for me. The black coffee came all the way from Kluang. I avoided the pulut kuning and tapai as it was too rich for my blood. The sago, however, tempted me and I added only a little bit of red sugar and coconut milk just to get the taste. Pak Itam took pulut kuning by itself and refused the kerang as he has gout. Uchu Mawi, declared as the most expensive Driver of the day as he had to drive my brother, to the function who just had his left eye cataract removed a couple of days ago.

Irman introduced me to his wife to be and insyaalah, the wedding would be in January 2010.

No comments: