Friday, April 3, 2009

Merdeka.

Where was I on Merdeka Day?

When Malaya achieved its independence on 31st August 1957, I was in Std 4 and I think it was a school term break because I was in Ipoh with my parents. I happened to be at 24 Hill Road Ipoh, the Penghulu official residence. At the strike of 12 when Malaya achieved its independence, probably I was in my dreamland. In the morning I walked to the Ipoh Club Padang to witness the state declaration. Unfortunately, to be honest at that time I don’t really know what Merdeka actually meant. It was a big gathering and the people shouted Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka. It was just a celebration and that was the first time in my life I witnessed a huge gathering. As a small kid, I enjoyed watching the band procession.

Now after 52 years, are we fully Merdeka yet? I cannot elaborate because I am not Merdeka enough to say what I like from my perception. Whatever….I am already 63+ and que sera sera, what will be, will be.

My father in law, Abdul Rahman bin Ali was recruited by the British as number 83 in the Askar Melayu and he fought in World War II and the Communists. He retired as Warrant Officer II. My uncle, Osman bin Kamaruddin, Regimental No 4853 of 4th. Royal Malay Regiment fought against the Communist and served with the United Nations in Congo in 1960. He was known as Osman Tiger and retired as Warrant Officer 1. My father Abdul Hamid Abdullah was a Penghulu during World War II and throughout the Communist era. He was nearly killed by the Communists in Sungkai. When he was the Penghulu of Ipoh in 1955 to 1959, he was an ardent follower of Dato Panglima Bukit Gantang of National Action Party (NAP). DPBG was also included in the Tunku Abdul Rahman entourage for Merdeka negotiation from the British in London.

I remember when I was young in the early 50s, few SC (Special Constable) was killed by the Communist around the kampong where I lived. I was living with my grandparents. The Chinese living nearby the kampong was rounded up by the British and relocated to a new village of Kampong Coldstream. The Village still exists today and it’s on the left side between Sungkai and Bidor by the old highway. My grandfather was separated with his good Chinaman friends. These Chinaman, by forced had to live in a commune surrounded by barb wire and guarded by Special Constables. They were strictly scanned when they went out to work in the rubber estates and tin mines so that the Communists have no access of food. The British were the one who initiated the segregation formula.

The Malays in my kampong stay put in the kampong and they continued with their normal living. By then, they had to set up a cooperative sundry shop, a barber shop, bicycle repair shop and a rubber dealer shop. They had no choice because those activities were done by the Chinaman and all the Chinaman was rounded up by the British. In a way it was good, the Malays learned to be independent and did not rely on the Chinaman anymore. My grandfather became a Homeguard and at night he had to take turn to protect the kampong from any terrorist’s insurgents.

Kampong Bikam…….that was some memories of pre Merdeka days.

No comments: