Saturday, April 18, 2009

Under the Coconut Tree.

I have to rush up to Penang on 16th.April to meet the deadline of 1200 hrs at one of the Government Office to submit an important tender. After watching the Manchester United game against Porto which ended at 0430 hrs, I had my early morning shower, picked up two other friends and we left sharp at 0500 hrs. At 0830 hrs we were already at Juru and stopped for breakfast. We crossed by the Penang Bridge and turned left towards Tanjong Uban. We were much too early for the appointment. We completed all our appointment and formalities at the Government Office at 1030 hours.

We decided to have lunch at Bedong, a famous food stall under a coconut tree. I used to patronize this place for lunch during my regular trip up north during my working days. The food stall laid their tables under some shady trees and the atmosphere is unique. We exit at Sungai Petani south and headed to Tanjong Dawai via Merbok. I like to visit this place to get varieties of fried fish and anchovies. Tanjong Dawai is a fishing village and they have bazaar selling all sorts of products from the sea. The shrimp paste (belacan) sold here is very famous for its taste and the way it is made. We wandered around the bazaar and picked up all the things that I was interested including a few packets of the special shrimp paste. I would pass some to my neighbors.

It was about noon and we left Tanjong Dawai for Bedong, the coconut tree food stall. The same Nyonya was still there and the environment did not change much. We sat down and we ordered food for three. My special order was shell less crabs dip with flour, bean sprout with dried fish and siakap curry. As we were waiting for the food we heard a screech and right in front of our eyes, a motor bike smacked into the left side of a car. The Rider and his pillion were thrown off from the motor bike and luckily there was no serious injury to all parties. The food came and one of my friends had for the first time tasted shell less crab. The bill came to only RM 43. Still pretty cheap, I guess but I think the price had slightly gone up compared to those days.

Its time to hit for home and we joined the PLUS highway at Sungai Petani north. On the way we stopped at Bukit Gantang, Tapah and Bukit Jelutong Rest Area. At 1900 hrs we were safely back to base.

No comments: